996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Joe Gibbs DT40?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 03:02 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I would buy a case of JG BR break in oil to use as a 100 mile flush before chaining oil. This lessens cross pollination from one vastly different base oil to another and it does make a huge difference on the first two oil services after switching to DT40.

DT40 is NOT designed to be utilized for on-track activities, it is a street oil just like any other and it must maintain its ability to hold up for 5K mile service intervals. All of my engines that see even one day of track service utilize XP-9 and that product is only good for 750 miles before the additive packages are depleted.
So, in other words don't track your car on DT-40.
Hes giving very specific advice with precise instructions. What is so hard to understand about this?

What in God's name is the next step in this oil madness? Changing the oil during a solar eclipse? Using an ancient Maya calendar?
Animal sacrifices at oil change time?
Mac, I do amit this is one of the funniest things I have seen posted.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:40 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I changed the oil with DT40, so we'll see what if anything changes after another 4k miles.

One thing to note: halfway through the last interval, I had a leaking drain plug, so I drained the oil into a clean bucket and refilled from there. So it's certainly possible that there was a bit of contamination--we are talking about parts per million here.

FWIW, no track time, but this is my daily driver, so plenty of stop start.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:43 PM
litteng
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
It would be interesting to run a "oil" trial against Mobil Delvac 5W40 or Mobil Turbo Diesel 5W40 and/or Shell Rotella T6.. These are the oils that I recommend to my turbo customers.

Just for reference>> the turbocharged engines are shedding more metal vs what I have seen in Jon's test.
i have 200,000 mi of experience using delvac1 5w40 in gas VW's and an equal amount with diesel vw's with long term UOA. it has been my goto oil, sadly getting Joe gibb oil up here in the wild north is a pipe dream i'm still trying to find a supplier who will bring it in and not charge $200 a case. the boxster currently has delvac1 5w40 in the sump but it got trapped by winter and so we pull a sample soon to see
Old 01-20-2013, 01:18 AM
mmahon04
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I think I understand why JR is hesitant to post some of his research methods and findings. It offends the sheep.
"Blind faith" is the phrase we use to call buying/using a product off un-posted R&D. Last I checked, "sheep" was a much more accurate description of said group.

Quite frankly, I don't understand your un-checked enthusiasm for a product with exactly 1 professional recommendation (Raby). And going by the publicly available marketing descriptions, I find absolutely nothing that screams "better" to me than any other oil. Correction, considering the complete lack of technical data available, I don't even find a basis of comparison. Could be great stuff, but hell if I know.

So given that, again, I'm a little confused about your holier-than-all stance toward this oil.

Personally, I find the information vacuum surrounding the stuff a little odd; the quickest way to selling a product is openness in form and function with your target market. And when the people come knocking requesting information about it, I wouldn't tell them they wouldn't understand even if it was provided..

Note: I have the IMSB (on Raby's research), as well as the 160oF thermostat among other things (in agreement with many of Jake's positions), so this is certainly not calling into question his expertise. It's simply that for some of us, we'd rather not the "black box" model of car modifications and maintenance.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mmahon04
"Blind faith" is the phrase we use to call buying/using a product off un-posted R&D. Last I checked, "sheep" was a much more accurate description of said group.

Quite frankly, I don't understand your un-checked enthusiasm for a product with exactly 1 professional recommendation (Raby). And going by the publicly available marketing descriptions, I find absolutely nothing that screams "better" to me than any other oil. Correction, considering the complete lack of technical data available, I don't even find a basis of comparison. Could be great stuff, but hell if I know.

So given that, again, I'm a little confused about your holier-than-all stance toward this oil.

Personally, I find the information vacuum surrounding the stuff a little odd; the quickest way to selling a product is openness in form and function with your target market. And when the people come knocking requesting information about it, I wouldn't tell them they wouldn't understand even if it was provided..

Note: I have the IMSB (on Raby's research), as well as the 160oF thermostat among other things (in agreement with many of Jake's positions), so this is certainly not calling into question his expertise. It's simply that for some of us, we'd rather not the "black box" model of car modifications and maintenance.

Don't bring logic into this infomercial...
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's not let this go ugly personal everyone. Jake is good, in fact, very good, and if you don't like his prices or methods, well...welcome to America. He has done more towards helping us understand and addressing the M96 foibles than anyone in the US I know of. The fact that Hartech also came to the same/similar conclusions lends a lot.

My only point was not to let this become the scene from "The Jerk", when Steve Martin is getting shot at, while working at the gas station, and the bullets are hitting the oil cans. "What's wrong the cans? He HATES the cans! He's shooting the cans!" I laughed my butt off at that (one) scene. True classic.

Jake says he's got tons of oil tests on the DT40, and it is better than Mobil 1 & the other oils he's tested. The viscosity is good, and it has plenty of zinc. I'm sure it is a great oil. Do you think he would base his entire business and personal reputation on it if it wasn't? But to summarily assume that all other oils are no good is crazy. IMHO, it's just as crazy as letting an $80k car go 10k+ miles between oil changes, because $120 is too much to spend on the most important preventative maintenance on an engine known to have the possibility of lubrication issues. When I changed out the oil cooler o-rings, I tossed the whole crankcase of Syntec 5w-40 oil with well less than 2k miles on it, just on the possibility that some coolant might have splashed in to the oil ports. 99% sure it was fine, and I took great lengths to prevent it, but I wasn't taking a chance for a lousy $100. (I really don't understand the cross contamination comment though. Macster hit the nail on the head. You can, in no way, get all the oil out of these engines in an oil change. When I dropped my pan, there was a ton of oil still dripping out after a week. At least 8oz. Why would you use break in oil on all ready well broken in engines. Do a short term flush with DT40, and then another right after, if you want the cleanest purest DT40 in the engine. Other synthetics have no problem with other oils, so why would DT40? Dilution is the solution, as we used to say. )

Bashing helps no one or further our learning.

Last edited by perryinva; 01-20-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I would buy a case of JG BR break in oil to use as a 100 mile flush before chaining oil. This lessens cross pollination from one vastly different base oil to another and it does make a huge difference on the first two oil services after switching to DT40. I know this.
Jake, I bought a case of the DT40 from you back in Sept/Oct and again another case from Charles in November. I wish I was told about this "flushing" step. I never was.

Regardless, I am very interested to see my future Blackstone reports from your oil vs. my previous selections of M1 5W50 and Red Line 5W40.

Thanks.

Last edited by LexVan; 01-20-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ME too! Please post them, or PM me to let me see a copy! Thanks!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
ME too! Please post them, or PM me to let me see a copy! Thanks!
OK, I will. Car is in hibernation till spring. I'll post UOA's this coming summer.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:29 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

The oil flush is recommended when swapping between any two oils that are based from radically different base oils and anti-wear/ detergency package ratios. This is really only important if you wish to ensure your first UOA after swapping "systems" won't come out with weird results from cross pollination.

We do this with any oil, not just DT40 or other Gibbs products.

That said, classic oil thread, so Raby is out. If you want to only used an approved oil, thats fine. If you aren't closed minded, then follow me. Its just that simple and it doesn't matter to me one bit.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 118 Posts

With all due respect, why would not following your recommendation indicate someone is close minded? To the contrary, people are asking for more information (indicating open minds).
Old 01-20-2013, 12:06 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

With all due respect, why would not following your recommendation indicate someone is close minded?
This is the internet. People ask for more information as a basis for further argument. This has not changed since 1995 in my experience. Thats why I never participate in these threads, and why I should have never posted in this one.

To the contrary, people are asking for more information (indicating open minds).
As more people use the product the UOAs gathered from independent sources will be posted. As people are more pleased with the performance of their engine, MPG and start up noise/ etc the product will gain a reputation and respect. Until then no one can catalyze the process, certainly not someone thats biased like me. Porsche owners are a discerning group and products take years to gain a reputation. I started building mine in 1992 in this industry and I understand the process better than anyone.

All I care about are my engines and they use DT40, just like they use all the components that we have developed. When people come to me for a solution to their problem they WANT to use what we know works with our internal modifications and whats been developed alongside the rest of the engine. They don't have to be convinced. Until another engine developer in this game develops their own oil with a company like Gibbs and Lubrizol, we'll maintain our advantage. Lubrizol invented ZDDP.

I am already working on a DT40 variant for the 9a1 based engine and its used in my 4.2L beast in Cayman X. Either people appreciate what we create and want to share it with us, or they don't. Last time I checked this country was still free and at least for now we don't have to buy oil from the government.

Last edited by Flat6 Innovations; 01-20-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
This is the internet. People ask for more information as a basis for further argument. This has not changed since 1995 in my experience. Thats why I never participate in these threads, and why I should have never posted in.
Seriously? I would guess a very few of us would even know about your new oil product if it weren't for the threads posted over the last few days.

I would guess that very few of us would know about the IMSG, IMSB, or the IMS Solution if it weren't for threads like these.

I don't mind you marketing your products in the manner you do. As a matter of fact, I think it's brilliant. Just lose the attitude.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Do your IMSB, RMS, etc., flush with JG BR oil. Refill with JG DT40. Your done. Say thank you to JR and move on.
You should be thanking the man not second guessing and insulting him. Since he was the brain behind the IMSB retrofit when Porsche said it couldnt be done, all the Porsche sheep need to remove the new retrofit IMSB and bring your 996 to Porsche for a new shaft with bearing install.

To those that keep re-hashing what he recommends: You have got to be out of your mind. He is posting FREE info that none of us have the ability or facility to research ourselves.

My favorite quote from JR:

There is nothing that I hate more than BS online arguments with armchair experts that don't even change their own oil,
Agree x1000

Last edited by KrazyK; 01-20-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Well.....like ALL oil threads this one was a waste.....now for something completely different.

Just substitute the O word for the S word.

Quick Reply: Joe Gibbs DT40?