Sponsored by:

Oil filter woes.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:06 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil filter woes.....

I had planned to change the oil today in anticipation of putting the car away soon for the winter months.

Removed the oil filter I installed last year, which was a Porsche part, and drained the oil, so far so good, however, I then had great difficulty trying to slide the K&N HP-7011 p/n oil filter I bought last year onto the metal tube which the old oil filter came off from, I even tried both ends of the K&N filter without any luck, it looks like the opening of the oil filter was too tight to fit onto the oil filter tube.

So off I go to a local parts store which carries Mann filters, their system showed p/n HU 719/5x, they also have the Fram filter for the 2000 3.4L engine which was also made by Mann but at double the price, both Mann and Fram filters looked exactly the same down to the printing on the ends, so I bought the Mann filter.

I checked the openins of both the Mann and the K&N filters when I got home, the K&N was 1.18" dia and the Mann was 1.21" dia, so I figured the 0.030" dia difference must be the reason why the K&N does not fit on the oil filter tube.

Wrong! I had equal problems fitting either end of the Mann filter onto the oil filter tube, in fact both the K&N and the Mann filters would also not fit over the center protrusion at the bottom of the oil filter housing correctly.

I noticed that while both ends of the OEM Porsche filter opening had a circular felt material which can collapse a litte to perfectly fit over the oil filter tube and the protrusion in the oil filter housing, both the K&N and Mann filters lacked this feature and both have very rigid opening in the plastic material at the ends, so it cannot "give" to slide over the metal tube.

I checked the K&N website for the HP-7011 p/n http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=hp-7011, and it looks like almost all of the Porsches made in the last 12 years use this filter.

I also found this thread from early this year where p/n HP-7011 oild filter was used by another rennlist member, apparently without any issues https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/678746-oil-change.html

Since the only two Porsche dealers have long since closed today (Saturday), I was forced to reinstall the old filter back into the car so I can start it and move it into the garage.

In the mean time, I am curious if any other early 996 DIY owners have encountered this same problem with K&N and/or Mann filters? I just can't believe I am the only one encountering this issue when K&N and Mann must have made tens of thousands of these filters over the years for Porsches.

To add insult to injury, I found the aluminum crush washer for the drain plug as I was pouring the old oil into the containers for recyle. So I guess I will drain the fresh oil into a clean container when I get the correct oil filter from Porsche, and pour the oil back in after replacing the crush washer for the drain plug.

It has been just one of those days!! I think some Rum & Coke is in order now.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

This is one of many reasons why Porsche insists upon using only Porsche approved parts. I was leary of the force required to install a oil filter, I think it was a STP I got in one of those oil bundle sales. I was in a simuler situation to yours so I crammed it on & it worked fine. I'm guessing you can trim the extra material & make it fit. Remember the old filter was saturated in oil when you removed it so the new one will have more resistance. You can even soak it in oil before installing to help.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:33 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used the Mann HU 719/5x yesterday on my 2004 C2 - went on fine (snug fit).
I have found Amazon on line is cheapest.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:46 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

zero fitment/install issues with the Hengst brand sold by Pelican as one of their "oil filter kits".

Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

I just used the Mahn kit from Pelican. No issues.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 PM
aviography
Drifting

Thanks guys for your inputs.

I just had a real good look under good lighting between the K&N and Mann filters, they look nearly identical in terms of the circular internal plastic structure that supports the filter material, the filter material itself, and the phenolic type material used for the ends, I would have to say they are likely made by the same company and just branded differently.

For one filter a year, I think I'm just going to get one from the Porsche dealership in town so I can see it in person to ensure it looks like the ones I had used last year.....
Old 11-04-2012, 02:05 AM
pecto3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pepboys sells purulator oil filters for 996 and runs for about $15.99. Have used it twice with no fitment issues!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
Thanks guys for your inputs.

I just had a real good look under good lighting between the K&N and Mann filters, they look nearly identical in terms of the circular internal plastic structure that supports the filter material, the filter material itself, and the phenolic type material used for the ends, I would have to say they are likely made by the same company and just branded differently.

For one filter a year, I think I'm just going to get one from the Porsche dealership in town so I can see it in person to ensure it looks like the ones I had used last year.....
I bought a mail order filter and rejected it after comparing it side by side with a filter bought from a dealer parts counter.

Before then, and after I have just bought filters and new sealing rings and o-rings at the dealer for my DIY oil changes.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:21 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Macster, which dealer are you getting them from and how much?
Old 11-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by keytohwy
Macster, which dealer are you getting them from and how much?
When I was doing my own oil/filter services, I was buying the filter, o-ring and sealing ring (or rings when doing the Turbo's oil) from Livermore Porsche.

But I've bought these parts from Stead in Walnut Creek, Rector in Burlingame, F-J in Fremont and at least once from Porsche in Santa Clara. The area dealers I have not bought any parts from is Carlsen in Redwood City and Sonnen in Mill Valley.

Oh, since you are in the north bay, I have had my cars serviced at Niello in Sacramento but I've never bought any parts from that dealer, save the parts (tires in one case) that were installed on the car when I had it in for servicing.

But I think Stead in Walnut Creek is probably more convenient with possibly the dealer in Mill Valley a close 2nd. Depends upon the traffic patterns where you live. I'm not familiar with them up there getting into the north bay about as often as the US unemployment rate is below 7.%.

Anyhow, I do not recall how much the cost is for the oil change hardware. It is not excessive imho but it is vital that the filter and o-rings and sealing rings be replaced and be the proper ones so unless it was arm/leg expensive I would not bother looking for alternatives.

Oh, I might add I get a discount from my PCA club membership. IIRC Porsche dealers offer some discount for parts and maybe other things as well. Ask your dealer parts manager.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Order online in bulk is the way to go. I would double check on the part number online since I have no heard of fit issue with Mann filters. Pelican parts is a good source.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:01 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, Macster. My job takes me all around the Bay Area, so any of the places you mentioned will do. I recently bought an item via Steven's Creek Porsche service desk and the price was lower than Pelican, et al, even before pricing. I was impressed and may use them again. Of course if Stead can do the same, I'll use them as they are closer.

Last set of parts for the oil change came from Pelican and everything was fine. But I buy local when I can.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for hengst .. got mine at pelican and no issues
Old 11-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

uh oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ordered and got 2 K & N filters with washers from Parts Geek. Not due for an oil change until after Christmas. Will let you know if I have trouble fitting them in.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 AM
aviography
Drifting

Hurdi,

Just make sure you don't cut the old filter cartridge apart to look for metal bits until AFTER you have succesfully installed the new cartridges, I almost did cut the old filter before I realized the new K&N ones didn't fit well, but fortunately decided to finish the oil change first, so I still could put the old filter back in the car just to move it into the garage.

Quick Reply: Oil filter woes.....