Sponsored by:

Convertible top - fabric not closing properly

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2022, 03:37 PM
Emefef
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
I actually just dropped off my car at Riggs Brothers to have a new top fitted to my car because my top was doing this same thing.

Well, it’s kinda true. Yes, there cables that go across the roof sideways can be adjusted, but the cables that run along the front to back, well, those are adjustable in limited fashion at the front by the windshield, but not so much at the back. So if those cables are stretched out, I’ve been told, they cannot easily be fixed or replaced, as they are sewn into the top. You can adjust and see if it helps, but at some point - normally 5-10 years after the new top is installed, another new top will be needed because they just don’t last that long. The canvas does, but the cable system design doesn’t.
Mine was out of line like that. The cable that runs along the edge goes to an eyelet at the base of the roof (not the ball end one that holds the roof to the car). I loosened the screw, the turned the eyelet about 90 degrees to add tension and tightened the screw. It's been fine for two years. I expect I need a new cable, but I'll get to that when I need to do other work on the roof. I would imagine you could pull a cable through without that eyelet on the end, but then you've go to get it properly crimped.
The following users liked this post:
Volkerst (04-05-2023)
Old 02-23-2022, 06:01 PM
wisco3/98

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

What price have you all been quoted for 1) repairing cables and 2) full top replacement?
Old 03-01-2022, 06:33 AM
Matys
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem solved. It take less than one hour. I remover "headlining". The strip marked in red was stretched and removed from the material sleeve marked in green. I removed the spring, shortened the belt, assembled everything and it works.

Last edited by Matys; 03-01-2022 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:49 AM
Matys
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have another problem. I reconected batery few times and after thati if roof is open cover flap not cloasing properly as pictures. Where is the problem? Closing max like as on the picture. When roof is closed everything works ok.

Old 03-01-2022, 11:19 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Start by checking the 3 latches that hold it in place. One rear center, one on each side, near the "flaps". Make sure they are open and ready to receive the incoming clamshell (or "cover").
The pushrods that move the left and right side latch are prone to coming loose. Also, make sure the top is actually all the way down hydraulically.
If that isn't it, you'll have to dig deeper and look at the cable mechanism that moves the clamshell. That can be a real pain to deal with.

Last edited by frisbee91; 03-01-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Convertible top - fabric not closing properly