Sponsored by:

Convertible top - fabric not closing properly

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 06:30 PM
AronG
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top - fabric not closing properly

See Pictures. I have not yet investigated, but hoped I would get some quick leads from the experts.

Thank you in advance for any contributions you provide to my troubleshooting and repair.

Aron
Attached Images   
Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Tension cable is stretched out I bet. This is built into the top and attaches via a screw mounting at the back. Not sure if it is adjustable, I think a new top is the only real cure. On mine I was able to push it back in to the window frame with a screwdriver but it eventually pops back out.

I plan to order a new top at some point.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 PM
barlowdo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same similar issue about a month ago on my very new cab top.
I was told that it was out of adjustment and to take it to the dealer and they could adjust for about $100.00.

What they found was this bungee like cross cable had come apart in the center of the car. The cable goes from approximately the top of one rear window to the top of the other. It uses a circular wire ring in the center between both windows to attach both ends of the cable. In my case one end had slipped out of the ring. They reattached it and I have not has a problem since
Old 07-06-2012, 05:48 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by barlowdo
I had the same similar issue about a month ago on my very new cab top.
I was told that it was out of adjustment and to take it to the dealer and they could adjust for about $100.00.

What they found was this bungee like cross cable had come apart in the center of the car. The cable goes from approximately the top of one rear window to the top of the other. It uses a circular wire ring in the center between both windows to attach both ends of the cable. In my case one end had slipped out of the ring. They reattached it and I have not has a problem since
+1
Also check the side tensioning cable(s).
Put the top in the service position (~1/2 way open). a Then check the cable that runs along the edge by popping the cable off of the ball and pulling on the cable to see if it is still attached. They can pull out of the eyelet in the front or break and lose tension. This is repairable. take it to an auto upholstery shop.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 AM
AronG
Intermediate

Thanks for the excellent advice! I have not yet had a chance to do the legwork, but surely these are the mechanical issues involved. I'm sure i can solve the problem with these tips.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Zurichgnome
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the top 1/2 way up -- you should be able to troubleshoot easily from that perspective. I had a the exact issue last year and it was just a cable that "strayed" a bit. Pushed it back in place (10 seconds) and haven't had a problem since. Hope your fix is as easy as mine.
The following users liked this post:
JoeOz (03-07-2020)
Old 08-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Peter Serbanica
Track Day

It looks like the spring loaded strap under the headliner that puts tension on the side cables to guide them in the rails tore loose.

Trending Topics

Old 08-02-2012, 02:15 PM
AronG
Intermediate

As Peter and others have stated, my problem is the spring loaded strap under the headliner. I have the proper thread and needle and am trying to motivate to actually do the work.
Thank you all for your help, A-
Old 08-03-2012, 06:24 PM
heidorn
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the proper thread and needle? Mine is doing the ame and I need to reattach the fabric on the bungee
Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 PM
AronG
Intermediate

The needle simply has to be strong enough to go through the thicker canvas material. Specifically, a needle that is shaped like a half circle is ideal (vs straight needle), but not required. Regarding the string, it's probably a synthetic material (vs cotton like a standard sewing set) so that it can withstand weathering and time. I went to a local car upholstery shop and asked them for 5-6' of black string for the job and he just gave me a tiny roll (and the needle).

Good luck.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:27 AM
Robertoo85
6th Gear

I have exactly the same issue with my roof. Can anybody explain please how to make tightener the spring loaded strap under the headliner?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2020, 08:06 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 253 Posts

Rob, put your roof into service position (halfway up/down). Reach in under the roof material and feel around. On at least one side, you will feel the strap. It usually breaks fro one side. Simply fish it back to the other side and stitch is back on. If you look close, you will likely see where it was originally stitched on.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:34 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

I had a loose cable on the driver's side that created a small gap in the cover where it meets the frame.

Someone at the dealer told me I'd have to replace the entire roof -- wtf? Not true.

Local auto upholstery shop (recommended by the same person) immediately diagnosed it as a loose cable. He also told me that elongated/broken cables can be easily replaced.

Last edited by sgt1372; 03-08-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:29 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,047 Posts

I actually just dropped off my car at Riggs Brothers to have a new top fitted to my car because my top was doing this same thing.

Well, it’s kinda true. Yes, there cables that go across the roof sideways can be adjusted, but the cables that run along the front to back, well, those are adjustable in limited fashion at the front by the windshield, but not so much at the back. So if those cables are stretched out, I’ve been told, they cannot easily be fixed or replaced, as they are sewn into the top. You can adjust and see if it helps, but at some point - normally 5-10 years after the new top is installed, another new top will be needed because they just don’t last that long. The canvas does, but the cable system design doesn’t.
Old 02-22-2022, 08:15 AM
Matys
3rd Gear

Hi. Do you have any photos from the repair?

Quick Reply: Convertible top - fabric not closing properly