996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

just got the Scosche IPFMRDS installed - Iphone integration for MOST-bus

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 PM
SubzeroX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got the Scosche IPFMRDS installed - Iphone integration for MOST-bus

You'll need this: Scosche IPFMRDS, cheapest place i found was http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-IPFMRDS.html

you'll need to buy the 2 adapters which come in a kit from Metra AntennaWorks, model 40-EU30. I got ripped and payed $55 cause my indy ordered it, but its $28 on amazon

Amazon Amazon

so basically for about $160+ installation you can have Iphone/Ipod integration in the MOST-bus system (MY03+).

I'm using my Iphone 4. Most importantly not only does it play music/pandora, but it also charges!!! and FAST!!!! Music is great... absolutely ZERO static. My display shows a song name, but after I change it, it's still the same song name. But who cares. You control the music from the Iphone/ipad. *no "accessory connected" screen* He hid the unit behind the center console, so the only thing coming out is a wire.

This is a MUST for people like me who 1) need iphone integration 2) iphone is able to charge 3) is cheap 4) good quality 5) dont want to spend $500 for the Dension install 6) keep the original head unit, which i think is classy/matches with the car and isnt tacky like every single aftermarket head unit with ricer type lighting/etc.

With this, I dont know why ANYONE would pay $500+ for the dension.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:37 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Sounds interesting and it looks like the install would be very easy.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 PM
clo
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does this work for all 03+ cars? I have the base stereo so I'm not sure if my 996 has the MOST system.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:43 PM
azaytsev
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this and it works great. Good sound quality.
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love to see this installed.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SubzeroX

With this, I don't know why ANYONE would pay $500+ for the dension.
Well, I put the Dension on my Cayenne S (MOST Bus), why would I pay $500?

1) Its NOT an FM modulator so sound is better
2) All the control is done via the Radio controls and steering wheel controls so I don't have to fumble with an iPhone/iPod
3) iPhone or iPod is out of the way in the glovebox or console.
4) Songs, Playlist etc all on my Nav screen display.
5) Allows me to integrate other devices through the AUX in, such as Satellite Radio

And in my 02 (No most!)996 I pulled the factory radio and installed a double Din unit for all the same reasons

So, for the money the Scosche IPFMRDS is probbaly a good solution but the Dension and other products like it have their upsides.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:10 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Why would I pay $500?

1) Its NOT an FM modulator so sound is better "

amen.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by SubzeroX
You'll need this: Scosche IPFMRDS, cheapest place i found was http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-IPFMRDS.html

you'll need to buy the 2 adapters which come in a kit from Metra AntennaWorks, model 40-EU30. I got ripped and payed $55 cause my indy ordered it, but its $28 on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-2002-Up-.../dp/B0007WQ8VQ

so basically for about $160+ installation you can have Iphone/Ipod integration in the MOST-bus system (MY03+).

I'm using my Iphone 4. Most importantly not only does it play music/pandora, but it also charges!!! and FAST!!!! Music is great... absolutely ZERO static. My display shows a song name, but after I change it, it's still the same song name. But who cares. You control the music from the Iphone/ipad. *no "accessory connected" screen* He hid the unit behind the center console, so the only thing coming out is a wire.

This is a MUST for people like me who 1) need iphone integration 2) iphone is able to charge 3) is cheap 4) good quality 5) dont want to spend $500 for the Dension install 6) keep the original head unit, which i think is classy/matches with the car and isnt tacky like every single aftermarket head unit with ricer type lighting/etc.

With this, I dont know why ANYONE would pay $500+ for the dension.
Subzero, I was planning to buy the Scosche from Crutchfield, but what do I need the adaptors for? Also, are you still happy with the sound? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:05 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

honestly the sound quality is pretty good - no static, no budging in of other stations, etc. and of course, if you have $500 to spend then yes, the dension is a great buy because of all you listed above (contorlling via the nav screen, etc) but i'm on a budget so i couldnt cough it up. the adaptors are what i have linked as "amazon" in the first post, but here it is again
Amazon Amazon

and i am still very happy with it. does what i want. charges + good quality. only downfall is that you have to use ur iphone to change the music, which can get annoying. but for saving $350 that I can use for something else, doesnt bother me.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 AM
SubzeroX
Racer

also, i had my mechanic connect the power line to the actual fuse box area and ran the wires from the back over the gas pedals, so the unit turns on automatically when the ignition is on and turns off when off (just like the radio). I hid the unit behind the center console. He took off the panels put it in there and put the panels back, ran the wire out from behind so there you only see a wire. i preset the station on the radio and wallah.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I also have the scosche unithttp://www.crutchfield.com/S-ejOo7pP...l?i=142IPFMRDS and it works pretty well. Every once in a while it won't connect properly and you will have to shut off the car remove the key and start again to correct. The only down side I see to this set-up is the music isn't as loud as a CD. For the cost it's hard to beat. I have mine connected to a cradle and have my phone mounted horizontally- works gret for nav. It is also a pretty easy install. Power, ground and antenna. You will need the antenna adaptor for the Porsche ( Mercedes, vw also work). I believe I paid $15 from a sound shop. This post https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ml#post9327381 has a few pics.

Quick Reply: just got the Scosche IPFMRDS installed - Iphone integration for MOST-bus