Sponsored by:

Can anyone tell me?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Can anyone tell me?

I have a 1999 C2 Cab and the inside door and curtosy light (when you open any door) have never come on since I bought the car. The curtosy inside light up by the windscreen does come on if I switch it manually but obviously not the door lights at the bottom of the doors. I think they are referred too as 'Kerb lights' . Anyway I was wondering if a fuse had been removed and not replaced during the life of the car could be causing the problem as I see about 5 blank places where a fuse could be inserted. I dont want to randomly put fuses in them in case I F*** up another working system in the car. My question is, Does anyone know which fuse bank (A B C D or E) and possible fuse position, counting in from left to right would control these lights? One more thing. Inside the top curtosy light, if I bridge a contact inside the switch, does activate the kerb lights on the bottom of the doors when the door is open or closed. This niggling little blurp in the electrical system of the car has been getting up my nose for the past 18 months of ownership and I would like to solve the problem with the help of you guys. Thanks in advance. PS you guys helped me with the cab top problem and it's been working ever since and once again I thanks you all for assistance you gave me in that DIY job.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Cornbread
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lighting is switched on via the door contacts when the 996 is unlocked or if the doors are opened. Remain on for 30 seconds or so after doors are closed.
The lighting is swithced off when either the ignition is switched on on the 996 is locked.
The door position lights are activated from the same door contact curcuit as the front overhead interior lights.
The entire lighting system is controlled by the alarm/immobiliser control unit which is installed under the drivers seat. (under drivers seat for RHD cars also).
I looked and didn't see any fuses related to interior lighting and assume power comes through the alarm/immobiliser curcuit.

Do the interior lights go on when you remotely unlock the car?

I would check the door contacts first, see if you get power at the switch when car is unlocked.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

No they don't come on as I unlock or open the door. The 99 does not have a remote control. The car alarm works just fine. Do you know where the door contacts are on a 99 C2?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Hurdi,
Are you saying your keys do not have a remote button to unlock your doors?
Are you saying that you must turn the key blade in the lock gimbal in the door handle to unlock your car?
I have owned 4 996's since 1998 - two 1999 C2 Coupes, a 2001 and a 2003. Both of my 1999's had/(and my current '99 has) a remote switch button on the black key head which locks and unlocks the doors remotely. Both of my keys have this remote button. Works up to about 30 feet away. They also turn on and off all of the door/interior lights as described above by Cornbread.

If your key head does not have a single button with the key symbol which, when pressed, unlocks/locks the car from a short distance away, then I suggest that you have the wrong keys for your car (or perhaps your key batteries or internals are shot).

Also, take a very close look at the position of the reading lamp switches on your car. They are a black three-position switch. If you have them in the wrong position, the lights do not come on or off when locking/ unlocking the car, or opening the doors. Cabs are slightly different than coupes on this.

Last edited by Thundertub; 10-04-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelun
Old 10-04-2012, 12:44 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Hurdi,
Are you saying that you must turn the key blade in the lock gimbal in the door handle to unlock you car?
I have owned 4 996's since 1998 - two 1999 C2 Coupes, a 2001 and a 2003. Both of my 1999's had/(and my current '99 has) a remote switch button on the black key head which locks and unlocks the doors remotely. Both of my keys have this remote button. Works up to about 30 feet away. They also turn on and off all of the door/interior lights as described above by Cornbread.

If your key head does not have a single button with the key symbol which, when pressed, unlocks/locks the car from a short distance away, then I suggest that you have the wrong keys for your car.

Also, take a very close look at the position of the reading lamp switches on your car. They are a black three-position switch. If you have them in the wrong position, the lights do not come on or off when locking/ unlocking the car, or opening the doors. Cabs are slightly different than coupes on this.
THIS! Hurdi, I promise you Dr. Tub knows what he's talking about!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I just went out and checked mine (it's a '99 cab also) and even if the dome lights are turned off as Mark said, the light near the bottom of the door panel still come on when the door is opened. If yours is not coming on, you have an electrical or a switch problem. I think I would start with the door switches as mentioned before.

Good luck!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Hurdi,
Are you saying that you must turn the key blade in the lock gimbal in the door handle to unlock your car?

If your key head does not have a single button with the key symbol which, when pressed, unlocks/locks the car from a short distance away, then I suggest that you have the wrong keys for your car (or perhaps your key batteries or internals are shot).

Oh sorry I do have a button on the key which unlocks and locks the doors but the inside ligts do not come on when I unlock it. Are they supposed to come on then? I presume that the lights at the bottom of the door should come on also as i manually open the door which they do not. The alarm sets Ok with one click on the button and no horn sound top up or down. Two clicks and a horn sound short bleep- top up or down. On other cars or maybe older cars I see a swich on the door which is activated as the door is opend to bring on the lights but not on the 996 so I ask does anyone know what actually brings on the inside lights as I open the door (apart from the button on the key?).. Or I can ask you. Does your lights come on inside the car as you push the button on the key to unlock the door? Its a cabriolet BTW and may react differantly than the coupes. The top opens and closes as I hold the key and turn it in the lock as it should do (it also can be brought up or down from the toggle switch on the passenger dash.) In the up position after I close it via the door lock, I presume the car is then alarmed with no beep. If I unlock the car and lock it again via the remote one time- no beep... 2 times... one beep. I presume thats the correct way to alarm the car. BTW One push on the remote to lock it I here 2 clicks and no beep. If i double click the remote I then hear 3 clicks and a short horn beep. So is there a place I should check for something that brings the lights on from that remote. If so where is it? I can bring the inside lights on manually but not the door lights. God what a long drawn out message for 3 small lights lol.I have had the reading lamps toggle switch in all positions but no luck.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cornbread
Lighting is switched on via the door contacts when the 996 is unlocked or if the doors are opened. Remain on for 30 seconds or so after doors are closed.
The lighting is swithced off when either the ignition is switched on on the 996 is locked.
The door position lights are activated from the same door contact curcuit as the front overhead interior lights.
The entire lighting system is controlled by the alarm/immobiliser control unit which is installed under the drivers seat. (under drivers seat for RHD cars also).
I looked and didn't see any fuses related to interior lighting and assume power comes through the alarm/immobiliser curcuit.

Do the interior lights go on when you remotely unlock the car?

I would check the door contacts first, see if you get power at the switch when car is unlocked.

YOu say:- I would check the door contacts first, see if you get power at the switch when car is unlocked...

How do I do this. Where do I check? How do I get to the door switches?
Old 10-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

Hurdi,
Our cars do not have the old fashion striker pin on the door jamb. When you lift the door handle, the same mechanism process that lowers the window a fraction when you lift the hadle to open the door, also controls the lights. It knows when to turn them on when the switch is triggered (this is INSIDE the door). It knows when to turn them off when the door striker hits the bottle opener on the body of the car, and then raises the window. This is obviously much more complicated than some may have suggested above.

To see if it is the switch in the door, close both doors and lock the car with the button (One ping only, Vasily -... LOL! "Hunt for Red October"). Then unlock the car with the button. Did the lights come on inside? No? Then perhaps you have a bigger problem somewhere else in the car electrical system. Try opening the passenger side door first. Lights turn on? No?

Just trying to see if it is just the drivers door logic or both sides.

It could also be that after the bad accident the PO had in your car, and they welded the new back half to the old front half, that they didn't use the same model year body for both halves.

I actually had a Porsche just exactly like that once. Discovered the front half of the car was a '68 911S, and the back half was the '67 912 I thought I had bought. The guy who bought it from me replaced the headliner and discovered the weld seam across the roof. He then pulled the carpet, and discovered the companion weld crossing the floor pan. LOL! THAT was a big surprise to BOTH of us. LOL! But since the car had 911S front sway bar, front brakes, front spoiler, and full operating 5-gauge dash, neither of us was upset! LOL! '67 912's usually had a 3-gauge dash which was mostly idiot lights. Mine had all of the 911S dial gauges.

There, did that take us far enough off topic to avoid actually being substantive help for your problem? LOL! Hope it is something stupid simple that we all missed.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 PM
jpowers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car had peculiar habits with the inside lights. There were no inside lights with the doors opened although the overhead map lights could be turned on and off at will. But, when the key was in the ignition the cabin lights lit up when the doors were opened and shut off a few seconds after the doors were closed.

The members of RennTech helped me diagnose the problem that my car was in "new car mode" designed to keep the battery up.

Hope it helps.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

One thing I can tell you is that this car had a wired in radar at one time. I found it all corroded when I had the front of the car off to clean the debris from behind the condensors and radiators. I simply tore it out and pulled back the wires as far as the battery compartment where they are today. I also found cut wires under the dash in the drivers footwell up by the drivers pedal. I dont know if they are the other end of the radar but I did not cut these wires. Also a small connector with two wires going to it from behind the central alarm area. Also another single colored wire cut off at the same place. God only knows what the PO has done to the electrical side of this car and i havent a clue as to the wiring of a 996 or any other car for that matter. The cut wires look like they head behind the alarm system but thats as far as I dare go. I dont want to interfere with the running of the alarm system as that works just fine. Short of taking it to a qualified ellectrical guy I am stumped for a solution. I guess I will just have to 'live with it' as I dont have lots of money to splash out on a simple inside light and door problem. I can manually switch the inside light on if need be. Also the map lights. Hey thanks guys.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Cool

Wow! All those cut, dead-end wires. Better pull up the carpet and check for a weld seam running across the floor between the doors. LOL!

Sounds like the PO had several "systems" he did not pass on to you. Might explain the problem with your lights.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

[QUOTE=Thundertub;98961

(One ping only, Vasily -... LOL! "Hunt for Red October")

One of my favorite movies!!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Correct... Thats why its always best policy to get an Independant PPI as against the Dealers. Obvioulsy my good wife didn't realize this fact when she bought the car for my 70th suprise birthday gift. The dealer only told her what he wanted her to know and left out the stuff that they wanted to hide. The car however runs great after a replaccement transmission claimed on an extended 3 year warrenty which my wife luckily purchased in the buying of the car... Just one or two niggly little things that was never mentioned on the check out form which she got from the Dealer (not covered by the warrenty). Gas door doesnt lock. I mean how could it lock when the F******* lock is missing and it probably has it's wire cut somewhere along the line anyway. No tool kit until I rang the dealer and got one from him. So I have to live with the little odds and sods but NOW know what is supposed to work on a 1999 C2 Cab. BTW just put on 18" Kanooks V12 all round and drives like a new car. Cost $793. I have had 17000 trouble free miles in the car over the past 17 months and more than pleased with it's performance so far.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 10-07-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Down South

(One ping only, Vasily -... LOL! "Hunt for Red October")
One of my favorite movies!!
Same here!

Quick Reply: Can anyone tell me?