IMS Bearing Replacement and Car Value

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by machbx
@Aviography & Gonzo911: You two have the nicest Pcars I have seen in a while.
Thanks Machbx!
Old 05-30-2012, 09:53 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Thanks Machbx!
Same here Machbx.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:59 AM
carcster88
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine done...but do not think it added any value at all. I did not expect it to.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:13 PM
bar
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bar
IMSB can not leak externally. If you have a leak, it's coming from the IMS flange or stud seal/o-ring.
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
semantics. Engine oil that was not supposed to be in the IMS was leaking out the Flange or O ring, happy?
No, and there's an important distinction here. It's been stated that an oil leak from the IMSB area is an indication of a failing bearing -this is false-. The oil leak is through either the flange or the stud.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bar
No, and there's an important distinction here. It's been stated that an oil leak from the IMSB area is an indication of a failing bearing -this is false-. The oil leak is through either the flange or the stud.
Ok, I am not a mechanic, engineer or even very bright so explain to me where the oil that is leaking from flange or stud is coming from. Since the bearing is sealed does it come from around the bearing or in it?
Old 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM
bar
Track Day

The back of the flange is open to the crankcase. Splash/return oil from the cylinder heads are exposed to this area.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:31 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bar
The back of the flange is open to the crankcase. Splash/return oil from the cylinder heads are exposed to this area.

Got ya.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

When the bearing fails the outer and inner races become connected by seized *****, at least for a split second...
That breaks the center stud which then falls into the bell housing.. That opens up a 1/4" diameter hole directly into the crankcase through the center of the flange..

Then oil pours out...
Old 05-31-2012, 10:58 PM
machbx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
When the bearing fails the outer and inner races become connected by seized *****, at least for a split second...
That breaks the center stud which then falls into the bell housing.. That opens up a 1/4" diameter hole directly into the crankcase through the center of the flange..

Then oil pours out...
Hi Mr Raby - I'm a convert. - for which my hubby thinks you should get the noble peace prize I do a lot of reading and caught something over on the 986 forum that the Guardian can actually report of other potential failures - I'm thinking the number is 22, but could be wrong. Would you mind expounding on that? I had thought abt the spin on oil filter and mag plug kit, but I'm thinking that the Guardian may be far more applicable to my M96/04, which has known water pumper, AOS issues. I'm a IT engineer and still a bit wrench wench, so thank you for your post. - Jenn & the Machbx
Old 05-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Thank you.. I forgot what compliments were like on this forum.

The IMS Guardian monitors every ferro magnetic component within the engine. It is known as the "Engine Guardian" outside the M96 world where we have developed systems for many other cars and heavy trucks already. Soon entire fleets of heavy trucks will have the technology employed in their engines, transmissions and differentials.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:55 AM
bar
Track Day

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations

Then oil pours out...
It's been said (and it appears from above that at least one person was convinced enough to preemptively change the bearing) that a leak from the bell housing -which is very common due to RMS leaks- must be investigated immediately in case the leak is coming from a failing IMS bearing. That's superfluous logic considering that a failing bearing cannot cause an external oil leak.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 PM
machbx
Instructor

Originally Posted by bar
It's been said (and it appears from above that at least one person was convinced enough to preemptively change the bearing) that a leak from the bell housing -which is very common due to RMS leaks- must be investigated immediately in case the leak is coming from a failing IMS bearing. That's superfluous logic considering that a failing bearing cannot cause an external oil leak.
Well I just had my RMS replaced, as well as the clutch assembly and the 1k flywheel. She's not leaking now - but - honestly, what can be wrong w installing the Guardian until I need 50-60 service? I could put the 400 in the bank - let it accrue interest and hope that's enough for an engine later? yea .... I'll sleep better.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I just had my RMS replaced, as well as the clutch assembly and the 1k flywheel. She's not leaking now - but - honestly, what can be wrong w installing the Guardian until I need 50-60 service? I could put the 400 in the bank - let it accrue interest and hope that's enough for an engine later? yea .... I'll sleep better.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:13 PM
Racer

So, I'm just beginning the discussions with Flat6 to replace said IMS bearing, and the aforementioned quote begs the question.......why, when going to the expense of tearing the car apart to fit new clutch and seal etc, would you NOT fit the new bearing? BTW, $400 invested in today's economy will be worth about, oh, $410 bucks in about a million years or so......ok, extreme but you get the point.

I'm still very undecided about this "fix" having heard everything from "if it aint broke don't fix it" to "they will all fail eventually due to inherent design problems with the engine" and "the IMS bearing should be considered a service replaceable part" etc etc etc.

I believe Flat6 are developing an absolute fix, my words not theirs but this likely wont be available until 2014 (awaiting patents) so perhaps good or better news down the road for these cars.

The real problem seems to be that it's almost impossible to detect imminent failure so you either have to get the mod done or just hope that the sun shines on the righteous, and you happen to be such a person!

Bottom line for me right now is that this is a crap shoot! Live long enough and we'll all die of wear and tear, and if we're abused along the way, we'll die earlier........this sems to be true for this bearing also. The "abuse" in this case, according to what I've read, seems to be driving the car too gently as apparently ZERO failures have occured on cars that are raced. I talked to a Porsche race mechanic at Road Atlanta a couple of months ago and he (two separate guys from two teams actually) also stated this.

My car has just about 80k miles on it and the clutch feels "odd" so I'm going to get that replaced, adn while I'm at it, the IMS bearing will go in. I just can't see replacing the clutch and NOT doing the bearing while in there! Flat6 will do the job for around $4k (on a C4) and you get a lot of other work/tests/evals included in the price. I'm lucky, they're in Ga and so am I.

Back to the original question.........for me, I'd pay more money for a car that had a documented professional job done on it. I know from my old car hobby that documented service cars fetch a lot more that those that don't have it. Also, old collectable cars that have had known problems fixed by fitting modern and recognized "fixes" command higher prices.........all of this assumes the prospective buyer knows about the problems in the first place, and that's where you educate these people by providing them links to the various media to help them understand.

I would be prepared to pay more for a 996 that had the IMS mod reather then one that did not, IF the current owner could provide documented evidence that the mod was done by a recognized authority and that NO engine damage had been reported prior to the mod.

Ya pay ya money and you take your choice!
Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 996 community, the horses have been spooked.

Quick Reply: IMS Bearing Replacement and Car Value