996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

IMS Bearing Replacement and Car Value

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 04:28 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That $2,300 will be money down the drain...
Old 05-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The marketability of the car is greatly enhanced among those who are aware of the IMS issues.
+1 I would deduct that amount if it did not have it.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The marketability of the car is greatly enhanced among those who are aware of the IMS issues.
That's not what the OP asked. He said:
do you think I will be able to recoup the cost of the LN IMS Bearing? In other words if my car let's say is currently worth $20,000 with all things being equal could I get $22,300 after I got the LN IMS Bearing done?
Originally Posted by eidolon
If I ever purchase another 996 I will only consider one that I know this mod has been completed on. I will not consider another 996 without it unless the owner was willing to drop the price enough for me to do the mod.
Originally Posted by Chaos
+1 I would deduct that amount if it did not have it.
But the question was would you pay $2300 over market if it did have the IMS retrofit? That's what he's asking.

Last edited by Palmbeacher; 05-19-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 PM
felsyeh
Intermediate

I just picked up a 996 that had the IMSB done along with clutch, aos and RMS. If this weren't done yet I would have priced it into my offer, knowing how much the clutch and IMSB job would be.

For all the PPIs that I got done over the past few months all of the shops would advise me about how much the clutch job would be if the PO hadn't done it yet for the mileage I was looking at 50-70k. They would also tell me how much each of the other items would end up costing if I did them all in one swoop: IMSB, flywheel (if necessary), RMS etc. and that I should take that into account when I put in my offer price.

With all that said, I would drop my offering price from where I had it in mind before accordingly depending on what maintenance had been done, or would need to be done.

If it were up to me, if I had to replace clutch and other items I would get the IMSB done as well in one job. I wouldn't expect to get 2.3k over market because of the proactive maintenance, but I would expect to get less than market if these items weren't addressed. In either scenario I wouldn't expect it to affect price to 100% of the cost of the maintenance. A small premium over market for having the maintenance done (10-25% of cost) and the discount for not having it done to be a larger bargaining chip (50-75% of cost depending on how soon job needed to be done).
Old 05-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

That also addresses a different scenario than the OP proposed. OP said nothing about having the clutch done at the same time.

But let's cut to the chase: new parts, whether it's brakes, tyres, clutch, starter, or an entirely new gearbox or engine, make a car more appealing to a buyer because he expects the seller to eat at least part of the cost. Otherwise, if the cost was equal, most people would rather have them done after the sale by the shop of their choosing. An additional factor with the IMS bearing however, is that not everyone knows about it and not everyone who does know is convinced it needs upgrading.

So to answer the OP's question straight-on: your chances of recouping the entire cost of an IMS retrofit when selling the car is virtually zero. You may have a slim chance of recouping a portion of it if the buyer just happens to be someone who would otherwise have had it done at his own expense as soon as he buys the car. If I were you I would do nothing, mention nothing. If the buyer brings up the subject of the IMS bearing, that's time enough for you and he to negotiate the price if you so choose. Or pass on the offer and wait for a buyer who has no clue about the IMS...which is a lot more people than you might think.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:06 PM
maintcon
7th Gear

I would rater have a car with the ORIGINAL IMS and well maintained (oil changed regularly) then one with an LNE kit. The reason; you may be selling me an engine that was 'almost' gone and there are 'chunks-o-metal' sloshing around in the oil.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If a buyer wanted me to drop my asking price by $2,300 because I did not have the IMS retrofit done then he would not be buying my car.

If I did happen to have it done I would not ask $2,300 more for it.

Just replaced my AOS. Is my car worth $1000 more? Don't think so.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:55 PM
fast996
Instructor

Originally Posted by maintcon
I would rater have a car with the ORIGINAL IMS and well maintained (oil changed regularly) then one with an LNE kit. The reason; you may be selling me an engine that was 'almost' gone and there are 'chunks-o-metal' sloshing around in the oil.
lol that reasoning is ridiculous
Old 05-20-2012, 07:59 AM
silotwo
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flip it around from do the IMSB while you are in there for a clutch - to do the clutch, RMS, and AOS while you are in there for the IMSB - probably takes you to $3,100 or so for the service and you and any potential buyer can feel you are good to go for awhile.

Or not. As others have mentioned, you shouldn't make the decision based upon a return on investment. No different than upgrading a house - you'll never recoup dollar for dollar on any remodeling or upgrade, but the house will be more marketable, and if you aren't selling it you reap the enjoyment factor.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by salomon
I own a '99 996 and am considering getting the LN IMS Bearing replacement for about $2,300. If I decided to sell my car, do you think I will be able to recoup the cost of the LN IMS Bearing? In other words if my car let's say is currently worth $20,000 with all things being equal could I get $22,300 after I got the LN IMS Bearing done?

I might be looking to get a 3.6L, but don't know the timing of my purchase.

Thanks.
I have a 99 996, and when I purchased mine the total maintance "history" of the vehicles I looked at was considered when looking at the price. I might have paid more for one with this retrofit, as a well as more for one with a documented major service etc.. I think your ability to recover the 2.3 K will depend on market "supply and demand" and not just the retrofit. I would suggest saving that money for your 3.6 purchase. ...So an interesting question... would you pay 10% more for your next 3.6L if it had a good maintenance history.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:54 PM
salomon
Advanced

Thanks for all the responses. It is too bad that we have to be concerned with this issue.

I decided to hold off on the IMSB installation on my car and instead find the right 3.6L. After I find the right 3.6L I will do an IMSB installation. I know that the risk is that I can suffer a $16k engine failure during my search time, but I have been enjoying my '99 since I bought 8 years ago and now has 48k miles. (Though not without the common issues). I just had oil changed and the saw nothing suspicious in the oils filters etc., so hopefully all will be well in the interim.

Assuming all else being equal I would probably be less inclined to haggle over price on prospective 996/997 purchase if the PO had done an IMSB and I was able to verify that, as well as the overall condition of the engine and car with the mechanic.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by salomon
Thanks for all the responses. It is too bad that we have to be concerned with this

I know that the risk is that I can suffer a $16k engine failure during my search time, but I have been enjoying my '99 since I bought 8 years ago and now has 48k miles.
Relax. Really.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:12 PM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Relax. Really.
+1
Old 05-21-2012, 11:45 AM
DaveSpeed
Racer

If you are purchasing another car do not do the IMS upgrade, you'll never get your money out of it.

Save the $2300 for the next car.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:13 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a 944 owner looking to acquire a 996 next year, I will only consider those with recent IMS retro.
And I will pay an extra $2k over market.

Quick Reply: IMS Bearing Replacement and Car Value