996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sad day... Oil under the car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

I just corrected my post to say that Porsche has "not" been forthcoming on addressing the issues with the engines. One of my frustrations is that if the problems are so rare why hasn't Porsche been open about the number of failures?

For many years Porsche did not make internal parts available for the engines and if there were any problems their solution was to Replace the engine and they did not want the engines disassembled for diagnosis, they would not accept as a core a disassembled engine. And the basically diD not reject cores as to do so they would have to disclose the cause of the failure. In 2008 when I had my engine failure few Porsche techs had even seen the inside of one of these engines, they just replaced them, and why not, Porsche did not make parts available and in 2006 the cost of a reman engine was only about $6,000. By 2008 this was $8,000-$10,000, and now it is over $15,000 (I guess the price of those part has been going up rapidly :-)).
Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Doug,
As a business leader I would probably behave the same way that Porsche did and give the same answer, because giving out that information helps the competition or exposes you to greater liability than is necessary. It's frustrating for those that have experienced issues, but I can totally understand their behavior.

Originally Posted by Dharn55
I just corrected my post to say that Porsche has "not" been forthcoming on addressing the issues with the engines. One of my frustrations is that if the problems are so rare why hasn't Porsche been open about the number of failures?

For many years Porsche did not make internal parts available for the engines and if there were any problems their solution was to Replace the engine and they did not want the engines disassembled for diagnosis, they would not accept as a core a disassembled engine. And the basically diD not reject cores as to do so they would have to disclose the cause of the failure. In 2008 when I had my engine failure few Porsche techs had even seen the inside of one of these engines, they just replaced them, and why not, Porsche did not make parts available and in 2006 the cost of a reman engine was only about $6,000. By 2008 this was $8,000-$10,000, and now it is over $15,000 (I guess the price of those part has been going up rapidly :-)).
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jdog
I guess I still don't understand where anyone in this thread said,"Stop, drop and roll your car into your nearest Porsche expert cause you my son have an IMS failure that I can diagnose from my computer."
So can we drop this SH*& and talk about the new wing that I am going to put on the 996?
http://falconracingwings.com/16_SQ_FT_WINGS.html

What do you guys think?
haha.. as John Macenrow said "You can not be serious".. do I detect a little bit of Cockney Lingo in your posting?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:18 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
If you wanted irrational and emotional responses where people just jump to conclusions, then we could just consult our wives.
BWAHAHAHAHA....so true, it hurts...

Had my yearly physical (I'm 54) a few weeks ago. All was good, but Fasting Blood Glucose was 156. My wife has me taking insulin shots 3 times a day, going blind and losing limbs. (I realize real diabetes is nothing to joke about, but I feel fine, am not overweight, don't drink (much) or smoke, low BP, low cholesterol, etc). I go in for a follow up today. I'm betting( hoping) lab error, but last years number was 117. High but not worrisome. I am often a sugarholic, so for the last few weeks, I've cut it out by 90%, so we'll see.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:08 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by perryinva
BWAHAHAHAHA....so true, it hurts...

Had my yearly physical (I'm 54) a few weeks ago. All was good, but Fasting Blood Glucose was 156. My wife has me taking insulin shots 3 times a day, going blind and losing limbs. (I realize real diabetes is nothing to joke about, but I feel fine, am not overweight, don't drink (much) or smoke, low BP, low cholesterol, etc). I go in for a follow up today. I'm betting( hoping) lab error, but last years number was 117. High but not worrisome. I am often a sugarholic, so for the last few weeks, I've cut it out by 90%, so we'll see.
Good luck! I hope it works out okay for you. Don't let the doctor push you into drugs until after you've worked on your lifestyle - it sou ds like you're starting with the right steps... I have a weakness for chocolate, so I know where you're coming from.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:26 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

This thread started like a chicken running around without a head then it got better. Now we are talking about wives and sugar? Can we turn it into a "please delete" thread later?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chsu74
This thread started like a chicken running around without a head then it got better. Now we are talking about wives and sugar? Can we turn it into a "please delete" thread later?

I think I have one of those threads left in me somewhere.... Once we have the OP in a comfortable place, let's see if we can make this a happy thread.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So is it safe to assume that it is my RMS seal now?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I think I have one of those threads left in me somewhere.... Once we have the OP in a comfortable place, let's see if we can make this a happy thread.
Ah, the GOOD OL' DAYS!!!

Let's do it!!!

P.S. - I hope Mark is not watching...
Old 05-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Philip P
So is it safe to assume that it is my RMS seal now?

Well, it took me a couple of looks to get oriented, but I consulted with my magic 8 babe and she seems to think so after she looked under the car, so you have 3 of us that seem to think that you have a leaky RMS.

As we said earlier, this is not necessarily a big deal and lots of 911s have an RMS incontinence problem. Get an idea of how quickly it's leaking - the guidance I was always given was that a little weeping is not a big deal and you have it fixed next time you have to have work done down there. If you have a serious leak and are dumping a significant amount of oil, then get it fixed sooner.

Do a few searches on RMS leaks and you'll get guidance from others that have been in your shoes and how they handled it. My sense is that they're better at fixing these now than they used to be, so when you get around to fixing it the new seal should hold up better than the old one.

Good luck!

Last edited by Wellardmac; 04-17-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

BTW, I should admit that the magic 8 babe is a little random, so it was her sister that actually took a look under her car.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Phillip, are you happier, or do we need to keep the mechanics on call a little longer?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Anyone remember Joey Carrera and his slightly orange sisters?

Hopefully that got a few smiles.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep the mechanic, ditch Joey, and while you're at it, remember Mr. Confrontational...
Old 05-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

The problem with the RMS leaking is that it' a dirty job and you'll need some help cleaning up.

Quick Reply: Sad day... Oil under the car...