996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Sad day... Oil under the car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case I have not started my car since noticing the oil weep. First thing I did was order a new oil filter and when it arrived I removed the old one to inspect for metal fragments. There were ZERO metal pieces, not one at all which I was very happy to see. I also installed the magnetic drain plug from Pelican Parts. I took an oil sample to send off to Blackstone even though it is a cold sample half from the filter housing and half from changing the drain plug out. The car had a new porsche clutch kit installed exactly a year ago right before I purchased the car and the RMS was most likely not replaced at that time, some say if it isn't leaking leave it alone. My car has 116437 miles on her and drives like a dream........though now I've something to closely monitor. I'm not in panic mode, just another day of sweet porsche ownership which I wouldn't change one bit, I love my cars.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 AM
mikeswift
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip P
Wow didn't think that this thread was going to turn into this haha!

Well I will take pictures tomorrow morning and post when I get home. Hopefully this will shine some light on the problem. I am also going to drain the oil and do an oil change. I will see if there is any ferrous material in the filter.

Jake: I have an IMS Guardian installed. It has not alerted or changed in anyway.

So for those of you who are curious, we will see if I do have an IMS problem and if the IMS Guardian detected it.
You could get on of those kits, they are cheap and are great at finding leaks, you can add it to any liquid in the car, maybe not fuel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110449458849...84.m1423.l2649
Old 05-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I owe no apology. Yes, I have a great deal of respect of Jake's capabilities, but in this particular case he stepped in and jumped to an extreme conclusion without stopping to gather data and on only a vague description - it was a failure of critical thinking on Jake's part and jumping to a conclusion. If he had come in and asked questions and gathered data, then he would have been helping, but in this case he did not and immediately "diagnosed" IMS failure - it was laughable.
Obviously some of us here have reading comprehension challenges, could you help us out by highlighting the part in Jakes post where he "diagnosed" IMS failure??
Old 05-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

BTW, for all those cowering in IMS fear - I had my car serviced this morning - fixed a small leak on a spark plug tube and got the message that my 12 year old (74,000 mile) car is in amazing condition - all original seals and equipment and still going strong!

Like many others stated previously, my local dealer (and the one I used before my move) said that he has never changed an IMS bearing - obviously, the failure rate is huge!
Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
Obviously some of us here have reading comprehension challenges, could you help us out by highlighting the part in Jakes post where he "diagnosed" IMS failure??

Simple. Instead of asking questions to diagnose where the oil was, how much of it there was, when it started etc, he immediately started IMS talk. He jumped to assume the worst with no information to suggest that was the case.

When your first statements relate to diagnosing a failed IMS, rather than gathering information, it gives away your assumption and loses credibility - sad because I have a lot of respect for Jake and his contributions.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Simple. Instead of asking questions to diagnose where the oil was, how much of it there was, when it started etc, he immediately started IMS talk. He jumped to assume the worst with no information to suggest that was the case.

When your first statements relate to diagnosing a failed IMS, rather than gathering information, it gives away your assumption and loses credibility - sad because I have a lot of respect for Jake and his contributions.
Yeah, I didn't think you could do it, but I just wanted to make sure I was not the one with the reading comprehension problem.

Going forward I will only contribute to assist the OP of this thread.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 PM
jdog
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Does the Tornado alarmist in your scenario also build Tornado shelters???

Really??? What are the odds of this guy's **** blowing upon start-up??? I have never heard of this, have you?

I think the term alarmist is giving Jake the benefit of the doubt...
He may make the shelters, but if I believe that the reality of a Tornado touchdown is real I could care less if he makes Tornado shelters or is GOD! I just want to be safe at that point.

The odds of the engine blowing up on start up are probably about as good as the probability of an IMS failure. However if the possibility weren't there then there wouldn't be odds right? That would simply mean that the chance is 0 100% of the time. BTW I have seen this happen. I used to manage 2 service centers and it can happen.Albeit a slim chance but it can happen.

This topic turns this forum into nothing but a BI&*H fest.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,491 Likes on 819 Posts

Being the nice guy I am, I've created a new product for quickly diagnosing any leak, drip, sound or smell your 996 engine may make:

Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jdog
He may make the shelters, but if I believe that the reality of a Tornado touchdown is real I could care less if he makes Tornado shelters or is GOD! I just want to be safe at that point.

The odds of the engine blowing up on start up are probably about as good as the probability of an IMS failure. However if the possibility weren't there then there wouldn't be odds right? That would simply mean that the chance is 0 100% of the time. BTW I have seen this happen. I used to manage 2 service centers and it can happen.Albeit a slim chance but it can happen.

This topic turns this forum into nothing but a BI&*H fest.

You make several good points. Everything is possible, even if highly improbable. You've seen it and we've all heard the stories. Amazing how vivid a few stories are, even though the vast majority of us have never seen one happen.

Sure, IMS failure is possible and does happen, but the fear that some spread makes the topic spiral out of control and makes things worse. The fear to probability ratio is way out of whack and I for one am sick of reading about it. The number of instances relative to the churn and fear it causes is insane - we are talking about a relatively small number of cars that people hear about and it causes panic and people buy into it because they don't want it to happen to them. Life is about probabilities. If you want to hide in your closet for a probability that's less than being struck by lightening, then you're going to lead a very sad life and should make different choices. S*@t happens - be ready to deal with it, or move on.

Really guys, if you're that afraid, sell your 996 and move on - you really are living a sad life if you're afraid of your IMS going postal on you and landing you a large bill - move on, it's not worth it. People are feeding from your fear and it's not productive. For those of us that realize that this is a very low probability event and do not care, then let us carry on with life and not have to listen to this junk. I am tired of IMS threads. I am tired of the fear mongering.

I would love to think that this will be the last IMS thread, but we all know it will not be. With every single drop of oil on the garage floor there will be someone to come out of the woodwork and spread the fear all over again. Oh joy.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Being the nice guy I am, I've created a new product for quickly diagnosing any leak, drip, sound or smell your 996 engine may make:

I love it! You made my day!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't take pictures today... bad weather... try again for tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Philip P
Couldn't take pictures today... bad weather... try again for tomorrow.
I was wondering if you had managed to get any photos.

Check this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...gine-part.html

If yours looks the same, then the fix is easy and inexpensive.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious

Ha! +1
Old 05-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Jay198
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, Any recommendations for indy shops in the area? And if you have had it done how much did it cost you?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:10 AM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Philip - maybe you can also post a picture of your IMSB and comment on the condition after you replaced it .. i'm guessing most people on this post would guess that there are no issues and the original is still in good condition - but that would be a good way to close out this thread .....

Quick Reply: Sad day... Oil under the car...