Sponsored by:

Sad day... Oil under the car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Do not start the car until you confirm that the IMS is not solely to blame. All too often people see this and don't realize that the IMS bearing generally fails on shutdown when engine speed slows enough to allow the center stud to shear. If this has happened one start up could be very expensive.
Approach with care and know that this exact same situation occurs over and over again.. Right now you probably haven't experienced a catastrophe.

You have to approach this from a worst case scenario, and hope that it isn't.

Wow! Scaremongering much? Jump to the extreme conclusion with only a vague description and no photos? What's wrong, is business light and you need to drum up some more? Honestly, a more calm and rational approach is more called for!

Unlike some would like the OP to believe, an IMS failure is NOT lurking around the corner to get every 996.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,289 Likes on 902 Posts

Think what you wish. I was merely stating that the OP should take this seriously and he might just save a lot of money, because others have and some others haven't.

A sudden release of a significant amount of oil from an engine that is not running and has no oil pressure is not normal. The RMS will not do this, as all RMS leaks are heavily dependent upon splash oiling that is created by a running engine.

Guilty until proven innocent~
Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

So where in the OP did it say significant amount of oil or sudden release? Also, where did it say sudden? All the OP said was that he periodically watches and now there's an oil residue when there wasn't previously. As I said, I think you're jumping to conclusions and scaremongering.

All the OP said was "oil residue" - that can mean anything for any of the reasons listed in previous posts. My car is currently in the shop for replacement spark plug tubes and that also resulted in "oil residue" all over the transmission.

The correct path is to determine where, when, and how the oil appeared and the severity - none of that has been established yet. I'm sure you love sounding the IMS horn, but really Jake, not all oil leaks are IMS, you really need to chill a little.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

I am done here. Ya'll win.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I am done here. Ya'll win.

Hey, if I'm wrong, let me know where I've missed a key fact, but as far as I can tell you jumped the gun so far that the trigger hasn't even been pulled yet.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't say anything, but this is not the first time you've done it. You're always fast to see IMS ghosts where there are none and it unnecessarily causes panic.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:25 PM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my first weep of oil at the bottom of the trans belll housing. I ordered a new filter and a magnetic oil drain plug. Today I replaced the filter, cut the old one apart to inspect it and found no metal pieces at all which made me feel better. I took a sample to send off to Blackstone, half the bottle from the filter casing and the other half from changing the drain plug. Yes it's a cold sample and not the preferred method of taking a sample but I just want to know what they find in it out of the ordinary if anything. Tomorrow i'm gonna put in blue devil rear main sealer and go drive for a spell to work it around, then drive again the following day and monitor for any more weeping. No noises or difference has been noted prior to the weep and a clean filter. She drives smooth as silk so i'm optomistic it could just be a worn out RMS.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tbanasiak
I have my first weep of oil at the bottom of the trans belll housing. I ordered a new filter and a magnetic oil drain plug. Today I replaced the filter, cut the old one apart to inspect it and found no metal pieces at all which made me feel better. I took a sample to send off to Blackstone, half the bottle from the filter casing and the other half from changing the drain plug. Yes it's a cold sample and not the preferred method of taking a sample but I just want to know what they find in it out of the ordinary if anything. Tomorrow i'm gonna put in blue devil rear main sealer and go drive for a spell to work it around, then drive again the following day and monitor for any more weeping. No noises or difference has been noted prior to the weep and a clean filter. She drives smooth as silk so i'm optomistic it could just be a worn out RMS.

Both IMS and RMS have tell-tell locations for a leak - search for them and you'll see photos. As i said before, a little oil does not mean the end of the world, you just need to ask a few questions, do some research and figure out the problem - posting photos and giving information will always get you some enlightenment.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Like I said. I am done. Happy Trails.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 PM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Both IMS and RMS have tell-tell locations for a leak - search for them and you'll see photos. As i said before, a little oil does not mean the end of the world, you just need to ask a few questions, do some research and figure out the problem - posting photos and giving information will always get you some enlightenment.
It's not the end of the world for me by any means, just a caution flag put up. I've been reading all I can to include looking at pics. No leak anywhere except a little weep at the bottom of the bell housing. Everywhere else is dry as a bone. Whether It's IMS or RMS for me leaking wouldn't I have to remove the tranny and clutch to visually inspect the IMS and RMS? That's at least what I can tell from all the reading and pics.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:41 PM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Jake I don't know if my sistuation is similar to the OP, but your advice is always welcome to me. Anything else I should/can do short of having tranny removed for inspection? Thanks!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tbanasiak
It's not the end of the world for me by any means, just a caution flag put up. I've been reading all I can to include looking at pics. No leak anywhere except a little weep at the bottom of the bell housing. Everywhere else is dry as a bone. Whether It's IMS or RMS for me leaking wouldn't I have to remove the tranny and clutch to visually inspect the IMS and RMS? That's at least what I can tell from all the reading and pics.

Post a couple of photos so we can see where it's leaking we'll be able to tell you a lot very quickly.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Hey, if it makes you ask a few questions next time instead of jumping the gun, then my work is done. You do have some valuable insight, but like Joseph McCarthy you see shadows where there are none.

Asking a few diagnostic questions is far more valuable then jumping in with a snap scaremongering assumption. You said, "I'm done" and walk away with no apology for jumping to conclusions and not trying to actually figure out what's going on? What kind of help is that? Be useful to the OP and help diagnose, rather than slinking away when someone called you for jumping to conclusions without adequate data.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by San Rensho
I would figure out where the oil is coming from before jumping to conclusions. Could be something as simple as a leaky cam cover, which if it just drips a little, is no big deal, something you can live with. Or it could be leaky spark plug tubes or the cam position sensor, both of which are easy DIY fixes.

But if there is oil coming from the junction between the tranny and motor, then its probably the IMSB or RMS.
This was the most sensible posting in the thread.

Originally Posted by Philip P
I went under the already car and confirmed that the oil is coming from the transmission and the engine casing area.
...and this told you it probably wasn't the IMS or RMS, but more likely spark plug tubes, leaking cab cover seal, or even leaking PCV valve. The leaking cam shaft cover is highly unlikely, the other two possibilities are not a big deal and easily fixed if you decide that you cannot tolerate a minor and annoying oil drip.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Ahhhhh, I miss this forum, reminds of the day when IMS was at its infancy and now it is a full grown. I cant wait for the next "IMS" maybe when the 996 is 20 years old the m96 will show another Achilles heel... but for now, its good to have options. Drive it like you stole it.... all will be good.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are sure the leak is from the bell housing, then take out the oil filter and check for for any metal that sticks to a magnet. If you find any significant amount, then pull the sump plate and see whats in there. If there is any ferrous metal,I wouldn't start the motor again without further investigation.

If you don't find ferrous metal, its probably the RMS and if it were me, I would plan on replacing the clutch, IMSB, possibly flywheel if its bad, in the near future.

Quick Reply: Sad day... Oil under the car...