996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

How to drive a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

This is how its done... In loafers and white socks.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:21 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Can't watch Ayrton Senna at work - youtube is disabled. I'm sure he's doing it right.

I did however check my own technique on the way to work and it's not exactly as I described it.

As I said, it's a second nature behaviour - I don't actually think about it.

It's still the ball of the foot under the big toe on the brake - but I turn my foot so that all of the toes except my big toe are on the brake pedal. The big toes is over the gap between the pedals.

It's not so much a wobble from side to side, it's more of a pivot around the ball of the foot on the brake.

Reminds me of a trick I learned at the track..when hard on the brake and the wheels are *just* locking up - you curl your big toe up. That relieves the pressure on the brake just enough. Nice fine control technique.

I also noticed that my heel *is* actually on the floor.

Lastly, the 996 throttle also hinges from the floor - like the old 911. I tried contorting my foot to get the heel on the throttle and my toes on the brake, but there's no way.

Hey - 8 pages!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I'm a glutten for punishment.

Sooooo, you guys are driving like Ayrton on your everyday drive to work?

With the power brakes, your still braking so hard you can easily line up accelerator and brakes pedal planes?

Oooookedookie.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:09 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickey356

With the power brakes, your still braking so hard you can easily line up accelerator and brakes pedal planes?

Oooookedookie.
You are right. I dont heel toe but will rev match without braking at the same time coming off exit ramps. Why would anyone want to beat their brakes up like they are on the track is beyond me. Not to mention the possibility of someone rear ending you by stopping too quick on the street.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:39 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Oooookedookie.
A glutton indeed.

No we don't drive like Ayrton Senna on the street all the time. As has been told a few times already, heel and toe at street speeds makes for a more comfortable drive and reduces wear and tear on the machinery. I understand that you don't accept this, nevertheless it is true. My Mom wouldn't get it either.

The brake pedal lines up with the throttle at moderate braking pressure the same as with heavy braking pressure. Once the brake pads make contact with the brake rotor the pedal doesn't move much, if at all.

If it does then you have some work to do on your brake system.

Go google hydraulics and then come on back for more punishment.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been spending too much time in the Canada forum. I've missed you guys!

Practicing heel and toe shifting is mostly unnecessary. So is a manual transmission. But both are a fun way to be more in tune with your Porsche and definitely a way to improve your driving skill.

I practice heel and toe at low speeds because that's when its hardest. A smooth downshift into third at track speeds (hard on the brakes) is easy. Try perfecting a downshift into 2nd while approaching the bumper of the car in front of you. Takes confidence and takes practice.

I practice it on the family car all winter so that I can improve the 'sensitivity' in my feet and learn the best techniques for different situations/speeds/gears.

One day, it might save my life. Hopefully I never find myself in the situation where only heel and toe can save me. I'm more likely to win the lottery. But, I'm prepared for either eventuality!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

OK, I give.

I'm hoping to go to Hershey this year, anyone wanna volunteer to show me how they heel toe on every day streets? You can even use my car, and also likely point out how bad my car is set up in it's stock form, being that I can't seem to lightly apply the brakes AND blip the throttle. (I had to run some errands today and I tired) I guess my car sucks and I'm a crappy driver.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

OK, I give.

I'm hoping to go to Hershey this year, anyone wanna volunteer to show me how they heel toe on every day streets? You can even use my car, and also likely point out how bad my car is set up in it's stock form, being that I can't seem to lightly apply the brakes AND blip the throttle. (I had to run some errands today and I tired) I guess my car sucks and I'm a crappy driver.
OK c'mon now - I'm sure you car doesn't suck.

According to the shop manual, the height difference between the brake pedal and the throttle pedal is 25 mm at rest.

That's measured by running a straight edge across the face of the brake pedal over the face of the throttle pedal and then measuring the gap.

If that distance is good, then your pedals are set up like the rest of ours. It should be pretty close from the factory. The adjustment is easy enough...once you get the gator off the pushrod which is requires destroying the crimp style "hose clamp"..

In fact - I'm just about to replace my brake master (new part only $177!) because my brake pedal has had excessive travel since I bought it 3 years ago. It didn't affect my ability to heel/toe - because the human body has like several inches of travel ability in that particular movement. I'm doing it now as I type.

I have however driven a number of 996 (including the one I had before this one) and the pedal in each of them has been almost rock hard.

Keep practicing - you can't undo 20 years of bad habit in just one day.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:57 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasper
OK c'mon now - I'm sure you car doesn't suck.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

Since we started this thread, I've been driving differently. Slowing down a bit, shifting earlier and generally not pushing things until the entrance onto the Turnpike (OK, still a little bit around town). Someone earlier on said that if you drive all out all the time, you'll get used to the speed and pretty soon want a faster car. I'm pretty sure this is right. I feel like my car is driving with a little less mid-range torque since I had the clutch and ____bearing replaced. Is it possible that the valve timing could have been changed slightly when the cam chains were dis-engaged? Is there any external valve timing adjustment of the variocam system? Or am I just getting used to the car?
Thanks for that clip with Ayerton Senna. A pleasure to watch such smooth and precise driving. I don't aspire to be a track guy but watching him at work makes me think, why not give it a try?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 AM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Mark Rindner
Thanks for that clip with Ayerton Senna. A pleasure to watch such smooth and precise driving. I don't aspire to be a track guy but watching him at work makes me think, why not give it a try?

And that is why PCA Driver's Education is so popular.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:45 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Just stepping back, don't you think it's kind of funny watching Porsche owners debating what's 'necessary' in a car? I mean, geez...

Add me to the heel-and-toe list. I love the involvement. It's the sole reason I have the car. Also add me to the 'drive it like you stole it' list. Engines last longer if they're operated in the range of their peak efficiency.

Quick Reply: How to drive a Porsche?