Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

I drive flat out. Chicks dig it.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
While there is a lot of conjecture about what bad things can happen by downshifting, there was no one in the threads I read who provided first-hand knowledge of such events. Maybe someone will chime in here with a first-hand experience.
It was a long time ago (1985), pretty sure because thats when I bought a brand new Honda Interceptor VF500 and it was that bike because I remember it specifically being on that bike, and because I only did it once. Wasn't paying attention, downshifted, let the clutch out, bike started squriming all over, clutched up, and 2 cigarettes later, got back on and rode on. Only once.

YAY!!!! 6 pages
Old 03-18-2012, 12:48 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Very funny stuff.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:48 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Engine braking on the street is probably ok as long as you don't overrev the engine. It's not really appropriate on the track at all. I would fail a check ride if it was done. Use the right tool for the job. The engine is for going, brakes for slowing. It's just common sense.

Sure you can slow the car exclusively with the engine, but there is very little real justification for doing so. You can also steer with your feet, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do.

-td
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

All this talk about heel toeing........ really? You guys heel toe on the way to work? You can't be serious. Track days and DEs, yes, on the street is just silly. If you're driving on the street in a 996 to the point that you need to heel toe you're an idiot, and being reckless.
This thread IS fun!!!
Heel toe everywhere. Yes. Absolutely. Idiot? Nope. Not even close.

Good driving technique doesn't equate to reckless. In fact, a great way to learn proper heel toe is on the street. It's silly to not do it if you can. No extra effort, easier on the car, and good practice.

Why wouldn't you do it?

-td
Old 03-18-2012, 12:56 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
Heel toe everywhere. Yes. Absolutely. Idiot? Nope. Not even close.

Good driving technique doesn't equate to reckless. In fact, a great way to learn proper heel toe is on the street. It's silly to not do it if you can. No extra effort, easier on the car, and good practice.

Why wouldn't you do it?

-td
+1

At a minimum I rev match all my downshifts, heel and toe where the situation merits it.

Why jerk my drivetrain around if I don't have to?

Sometimes I'm driving fast, some times I'm not. Makes no difference. The benefits of heel/toe and rev matched downshifts are the same.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

I guess I just don't understand heel toe. I've done it (clumsily I might ad) just to see what it was all about. And I think "learning it on the street" is pretty ridiculous. A parking lot or a back road maybe.
I've been in cars on track with professional and experienced drivers and seen them do it.
I raced karts for 4 years (no heel toe needed there). I've been riding bikes for 20+ years and I've had sports car of some kind most of my driving life, but I've never found the need to heel toe.
Maybe there is a way to drive responsibly on the street and heel toe? My only experience with it (and the seeming NEED for it) is going from high speed high revs into a turn in order to keep the power curve. I just don't see why thats needed on everyday driving. Maybe you guys live in an area where there aren't many cars on the twisty roads with no speed limits.
Most of the turns I make require stopping and looking both ways.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:09 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mickey356
I guess I just don't understand heel toe. I've done it (clumsily I might ad) just to see what it was all about. And I think "learning it on the street" is pretty ridiculous. A parking lot or a back road maybe.
I've been in cars on track with professional and experienced drivers and seen them do it.
I raced karts for 4 years (no heel toe needed there). I've been riding bikes for 20+ years and I've had sports car of some kind most of my driving life, but I've never found the need to heel toe.
Maybe there is a way to drive responsibly on the street and heel toe? My only experience with it (and the seeming NEED for it) is going from high speed high revs into a turn in order to keep the power curve. I just don't see why thats needed on everyday driving. Maybe you guys live in an area where there aren't many cars on the twisty roads with no speed limits.
Most of the turns I make require stopping and looking both ways.
The purpose of heel and toe is twofold;

1) Match the speed of the gears in the box and the speed of the flywheel and clutch plate to reduce wear and tear on the synchros and the clutch plate.

2) Eliminate the lurching that occurs when the clutch is let out on a downshift. This lurching can be deadly at track speeds - on the street it just makes for a smoother ride.

Just because guys do it at track speeds doesn't mean you need to be traveling at track speeds to do it.

Hey - hey ...let's talk about trail braking next!

You know - braking into a corner. Bet there's some "experts" who will tell you to never do that either.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:13 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

.. I've been riding bikes for 20+ years...
So you're telling me that when you're out riding your bike and the need arises to shift into first while the bike is still rolling (for instance if the light goes green *just* before you come to a complete stop) that you don't double clutch into first gear?

What do you do? Just ram it in to gear and accept the clunk and grind as normal?

Nice.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:32 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Oops - I'm being sloppy a bit.

Double clutching will reduce wear on the synchros while simply rev matching gives all the other benefits. Heel and toe is required in both cases. I kind of combined double clutching and heel and toe in my head.

Looking back to the Tiptronic discussion - I should have noted that Tips blip the throttle on downshift - effectively every downshift is heel and toed by the computers.

You won't find this "disagreement" happening on the air cooled boards. Not heel and toeing is simply not an option with a 915 transmission...unless you're ok with blatant mechanical abuse.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasper
So you're telling me that when you're out riding your bike and the need arises to shift into first while the bike is still rolling (for instance if the light goes green *just* before you come to a complete stop) that you don't double clutch into first gear?

What do you do? Just ram it in to gear and accept the clunk and grind as normal?

Nice.
Based on your tone it sounds as if you're challenging my riding ability. Nice.
I don't profess to be a Valentino Rossi, or Lewis Hamilton as many guys on forums do, this one included. Anyone who drives a sports car feels they're good drivers. Funny thing is, I've been to tons of track events ( races, DEs, autocross, etc... ), I don't participate, just a spectator (unless im racing my kart) Anyway, there are always a bunch of "meh" drivers and a few that stand out. How come it always seems when it comes to 'talk' there are always a lot more stand outs than 'meh' drivers?

First gear is pretty useless unless you ARE stopped.
The fact that most bikes red line at anywhere between 9-11k you've got plenty of room in all other gears. That applies to my 996 as well. I don't see the need to keep Rpms up when going into and through turns. I approach a turn, I press the brake, the car (engine) slows, I move the gear lever down into the proper gear, let out the clutch while I accelerate. I don't experience lurching or engine braking. And in all the years ive been riding and driving ive never had to replace gears, synchros or clutches. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?
Old 03-18-2012, 04:21 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,428 Likes on 784 Posts

Old 03-18-2012, 05:58 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Capt obvious is correct and that very poster has been on my mind since page 2.

Miickey, I'm sure you're a fine rider and I'll be willing to be a dollar to a donut that when you are on your bike you rev match before you let the clutch out after selecting a lower gear. You probably do this without thinking.

If you have ever done this while also applying the brake (must have happened a few times in 20 years) that's the quivalent of a heel and toe downshift in a car.

As far as lurching goes...you yourself said doing it on a bike is dangerous. Why would it be all that different in a car. Once again I bet you apply a little bit of throttle before you (or as you) let out the clutch.

Its kind of part of the deal.

Anyway, lest I prove Cpt obvious any more right, I'll let this go.

I use Motul 8100 15-40 by the way....
Old 03-18-2012, 06:12 PM
Mickey356
Rennlist Member

^^^^

I laughed out loud when I saw that poster, reluctantly ( I'm pretty sure that's not PC )

What oil do most people use?
Old 03-18-2012, 08:02 PM
Mark Rindner
Advanced

^^^^

I laughed out loud when I saw that poster, reluctantly ( I'm pretty sure that's not PC )

What oil do most people use?
I use Collona Organic Extra Virgin olive oil whenever possible.

Quick Reply: How to drive a Porsche?