Sponsored by:

taking the plunge....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:19 AM
golfmanlk
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default taking the plunge....

just sold my stage 3 2001.5 Audi S4 Avant and flying to Nashville to pick up an 01 C2 coupe on Saturday (pending a good PPI tomorrow).

65K miles
IMS, RMS and clutch all done in spring of 2011
B&B exhaust (anyone know anything about this exhaust)
H&R coilovers (do all 996s have coilovers?)
OEM aero skirts and front bumper
silver over black
6 speed (of course)
PSM

tell me I'm doing the right thing here!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:26 AM
DJonathanSilva
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good to me. Hopefully it check out. What's the price point if you don't mind me
asking?
Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Good work mate, sounds pretty solid, pics!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

No Matter what the PPI inspection reveals or does not mention, familiarise yourself with all electrical workings on your model. In other words, read the manual thoroughly and the thread on here about '100 things you didnt know about your 996'. I am a first time porsche buyer and didn't realize all the little things that they are supposed to do. Plus I read a lot of owners adding and altering the stock model and they inadvertantly mess things up. ie The inside courtesy lights on mine plus the door kerb lights did not work. A thing I didnt notice until after the sale but not even mentioned on the PPI. Plus it had a slightly noisy transmission or gearbox. How was I to know?. I got it changed at a later date on an extended warranty which I bought during the sale. so PPI are not 100% proof.. buyer beware.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:07 PM
vwillo1
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You won't be dissapointed, but give yourself a little while to learn the car and the feel of the road. You may feel a bit underwhelmed when the "911 mystique" wears off but once you get to know it, wow, nothing but smiles. Also, be prepared to waste a lot of time just looking at it!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats, sounds like the right deal to me. No, all 996s do not come with coilovers. Many would want that choice if available. Let us know how the PPI goes, GL
Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Turkertwo
Instructor

It sounds like a nice package but I wouldn't go higher than $21-22K.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck! This is an older post of mine, but its still pretty true so I thought I would save you some time and share some things I have learned from the awesome experience of owning my first 996. By the way...99% of this came from these great Porsche Forums!

1. They smell funny. Whether it is bits of burning tire on the exhaust or cosmoline (look it up), they smell like burning oil/rubber even after a short drive. The consensus is this is perfectly normal (some even call it "Porsche Perfume") so you can quit worrying. Your engine is not about to blow up.

2. After a few weeks you will begin to think something is wrong with your car. It is not as quick as it used to be. Is it a major engine problem? Do I already need to replace the plugs, coils, throttle body etc? Probably not. You are just getting used to the car. It only feels slower. You will now start thinking about getting that turbo.

3. IMS, RMS. You will no doubt read all about these two common failures. Without jinxing myself, it can happen anytime. But...it doesn't appear to be as prolific as you would be led to believe. There are things you can do to add peace of mind (replace the IMS bearing, install the new IMS Guardian) etc., but remember, all cars have been known to have engines blow up. Ours are just more expensive to replace.

4. If you have a 6-spd (mine does...so no tips on tips here), you will up shift at a much higher rpm than that old Honda you used to drive. Shifting at 3000rpm will spoil your P-car experience.

5. Tires are expensive and don't last as long as the tires on your old car. 10k-15k appears to be the average life. Remember that when you are buying a new set.

6. There appear to be a lot of great, dedicated and fastidious Indy shops out there. I have an extended warranty and took my car to the local dealer to get some non covered items taken care of. The estimate was almost $3k. My Indy fixed everything that actually need to get fixed for under $500.

7. Speaking of money, everywhere you go to get something done for your car, from the paint and body shop to the audio installer, they will attempt to charge you more since "after all, it is a 911".

8. A lot of Porsche enthusiasts don't like the 996. They have their reasons, but you now own one. Love it like its one of your kids.

9. Never ask on this forum what is the best oil to use. There are as many answers as members.

10. Your friends and relatives think you paid a lot more $$$ for your car than you really did.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:09 PM
fronesis47
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turkertwo
It sounds like a nice package but I wouldn't go higher than $21-22K.
+1
Old 03-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,500 Likes on 826 Posts

Welcome to the club. I sold my Imola Yellow B5 S4 Avant to pick up my C4S. I haven't regretted the decision for a minute (except for the reduced cargo capacity).
Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 AM
golfmanlk
Racer

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
Welcome to the club. I sold my Imola Yellow B5 S4 Avant to pick up my C4S. I haven't regretted the decision for a minute (except for the reduced cargo capacity).
Capt Obvious from the audi forums... nice to know I'm not the 1st to go from awesome B5 Avant to 996.

I'm missing the Avant but can't wait to experience this 911. Not the smartest choice I am sure (and wish I could have found a C4S or a turbo) but so looking forward to picking it up on Saturday and driving the 9-10 hrs back from Nashville...
Old 03-15-2012, 12:36 AM
golfmanlk
Racer

Originally Posted by Barn996
Congrats, sounds like the right deal to me. No, all 996s do not come with coilovers. Many would want that choice if available. Let us know how the PPI goes, GL
Thx... PPI went great. Renntag Mortowerks in Nashville did the inspection and said it's an exceptional example and could pass for less than 1/2 the miles. Only mentioned a few small scratches and that the brake fluid was due for a change. Only 30% left on front brakes (he said always change pads AND rotors at the same time?) and 50% left on rears - other than that, not one issue that he thought he needed to mention.

Current owner is taking care of the brake fluid change and said he'd make sure it was very clean when I pick it up on Sat.

Thx for all the kind comments... cannot wait!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:05 AM
1way2rock
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck and enjoy the car. Next up DE's
Old 03-15-2012, 04:20 AM
Waynes_box
Intermediate

Do you mind sharing price point. Been trying to figure out what to offer on cars but have been getting shut down. By looks of the details you gave I would guess that's at $25-27k. I'd love to find an example like yours for $21-22k as others have mentioned but I doubt that.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by golfmanlk
Thx... PPI went great. Renntag Mortowerks in Nashville did the inspection and said it's an exceptional example and could pass for less than 1/2 the miles. Only mentioned a few small scratches and that the brake fluid was due for a change. Only 30% left on front brakes (he said always change pads AND rotors at the same time?) and 50% left on rears - other than that, not one issue that he thought he needed to mention.

Current owner is taking care of the brake fluid change and said he'd make sure it was very clean when I pick it up on Sat.

Thx for all the kind comments... cannot wait!
Pity you didn't get him to do the brakes and rotors as well. Pads and rotors is an easy DIY job but would be costly if done in a shop. Sounds by what he said, they are both due for a change. You will need new brake sensors, pads, rotors and new bolts. A low profile trolley jack and stands if you don't have one. (I didn't). Be prepared as they won't last long. Mine lasted only a few short months. The rotors were fine at 50,000 miles. Maybe it's not too late for you to insist the brakes and rotors be done by the PO. Or knock him down at least another grand. BTW dont be worried about you not having a turbo on this 996. If the engine is in good condition. You will think you have one. You wont need one.

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 03-15-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: taking the plunge....