Sponsored by:

G-Force Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:32 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Well, you condemned them all, and I assume you haven't tried them all. But let's start with one. Tell us which flash you tried on a 3.4 M96 Porsche engine, what your before and after dyno numbers were, your driving impressions, that kind of thing.

You're impugning a lot of companies and a lot of customers here. That kind of makes you the prosecution, so to speak. So the burden of proof is yours. I'd be very interested to know what your direct, empirical experience was.
Yes, as a principle I dont believe in chip tuning for the reasons I already covered. On the basis of that, you assume I would have ignored my own advice and gone and had my daily driver chip tuned, what an incredibly odd assumption.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:35 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tbred911
how do we shift the torque curve 1000 rpm to the right?
Cams I moved it 2,000 rpm to the right in my track car. Very similar curve to the stock cam profile, very slightly raised and significantly shifted to the right. I used 288 degree cams with 11mm of lift on intake and exhaust. Went to a shim under bucket conversion and removed the variable valve timing as it was a complication I didnt really think I needed since the car spends almost all its life in the 7-10,000 rpm range.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:42 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Yes, as a principle I dont believe in chip tuning for the reasons I already covered. On the basis of that, you assume I would have ignored my own advice and gone and had my daily driver chip tuned, what an incredibly odd assumption.
No, I assumed your opinion was based on past experience. Chip tuning isn't the Easter bunny. It's not a matter of believing in it. It's a matter of whether you personally think it's worth the money.

I've given the original poster my answer. The difference is, I've actually done it.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:48 PM
NZ951
Race Director

No, I assumed your opinion was based on past experience. Chip tuning isn't the Easter bunny. It's not a matter of believing in it. It's a matter of whether you personally think it's worth the money.

I've given the original poster my answer. The difference is, I've actually done it.
It is based on experience (having put a chip in a 944 turbo previously, and had 6 different cars running standalone systems), like I already mentioned. This is just one of the reasons (my experience) why I wouldnt have bothered putting a chip in the engine. The other is just plain comment sense, the timing and furl table parameters in a chip tune are speculation. You see once someone gets experience, they then apply it to future situations, its called learning. Its really quite good stuff.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
It is based on experience (having put a chip in a 944 turbo previously, and had 6 different cars running standalone systems), like I already mentioned. This is just one of the reasons (my experience) why I wouldnt have bothered putting a chip in the engine. The other is just plain comment sense, the timing and furl table parameters in a chip tune are speculation. You see once someone gets experience, they then apply it to future situations, its called learning. Its really quite good stuff.
Um, wow. Just... wow. So a couple of things. Unlike your 944 turbo, we don't "put chips in" anymore. And that's just the start of what a 944 turbo doesn't have in common with a 996. Also, I think you're pretty unclear on how this code gets written. It's not speculation, at least not since OBD2. It's pretty much test-and-learn, at least for the good ones. It's true that past experience is a good basis for forming opinions, but only if that past experience is relevant.

Anyway, sorry I kept this going. I thought for a minute there, a few posts back, that you had some direct experience to share. Unsubscribed.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:07 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Um, wow. Just... wow. So a couple of things. Unlike your 944 turbo, we don't "put chips in" anymore. And that's just the start of what a 944 turbo doesn't have in common with a 996. Also, I think you're pretty unclear on how this code gets written. It's not speculation, at least not since OBD2. It's pretty much test-and-learn, at least for the good ones. It's true that past experience is a good basis for forming opinions, but only if that past experience is relevant.

Anyway, sorry I kept this going. I thought for a minute there, a few posts back, that you had some direct experience to share. Unsubscribed.
The effect is the same, a reflashed chip is the same as reflashing through OBD2, clearly you dont have any experience in this. Now you are speculating every reflashed code is custom written for every engine configuration sight unseen. This is proof that a little knowledge is dangerous. Yup, I wouldnt have my ECU reflashed by someone without knowledge of all variables taken into account. A very relevant saying here, if the milk is sour, I'm not the kind of ***** to drink it, you are, and thats fine. Thank you for unsubscribing

Quick Reply: G-Force Performance Chip