G-Force Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:40 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default G-Force Performance Chip

I ran across these performance chips. I have had a performance chip in my 928 S4 from Autothority and it did impove the performance of my car. Has anyone tried these chips on their 996 Any imput is appreciated
Old 02-10-2012, 11:55 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its garbage. All it is is a resistor that fools the computer into thinking the motor is cold so it injects more fuel.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:22 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you
Old 02-11-2012, 09:44 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, I've always heard NONE of them ADD Anything! Now on diesel engines, that's another story. jmo
Old 02-11-2012, 09:48 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdjones2010
Yea, I've always heard NONE of them ADD Anything! Now on diesel engines, that's another story. jmo
Not necessarily, as reflected in my original post, I used the AA chip in my 928 S4, and no doubt I could definately sense the improved power and this was so from others in the 928 community. So, some chips do make an improvement in performance
Old 02-11-2012, 10:06 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Often that sense of improvement comes from them reducing power down low, then you feel an uplift in the higher rpm and think, wow I felt a real kick there...
Old 02-12-2012, 02:31 AM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by San Rensho
Its garbage. All it is is a resistor that fools the computer into thinking the motor is cold so it injects more fuel.
My knowledge of mechanics if very basic, so is it a "BAD" thing for the resistor to fool the computer into thinking the motor is cold and injects more fuel??
Old 02-12-2012, 02:35 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
My knowledge of mechanics if very basic, so is it a "BAD" thing for the resistor to fool the computer into thinking the motor is cold and injects more fuel??
More fuel doesnt always mean more power. More fuel does mean worse fuel economy, and can also mean bore wash where the fuel is so rich it washes the oil out. More fuel is only going to be beneficial if you were running too lean at any point. You dont make more power by just adding more fuel, you need more air as well to get a bigger bang. So basically its a very one sided and basic attempt to solve a problem that doesnt exist.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:20 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Not necessarily, as reflected in my original post, I used the AA chip in my 928 S4, and no doubt I could definately sense the improved power and this was so from others in the 928 community. So, some chips do make an improvement in performance
Did you Dyno it? The proof is in the Pudding! I'd have to see it to believe it, but if it makes you THINK it's faster, then that's all that matters! jmo
Old 02-12-2012, 04:41 PM
morganabowen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you to this group, the feedback is very productive and makes my decision much easier. Great group here at the 996 board
Old 02-13-2012, 01:39 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Thank you to this group, the feedback is very productive and makes my decision much easier. Great group here at the 996 board
Good Luck Larry, let us know how it turns out!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM
TideRace
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

No experience with chips in Porsche, but they are a well accepted means of increasing certain performance aspects in BMW. I added a Dinan chip to a 540i and it transformed the car by getting rid of the built-in throttle lag (BMW didn't want to overly excite their median US buyer), and it raised the rev limiter which was crucial on the 6 spd. Supposedly there were some other modest gains in HP/torque but I doubt they were enough to notice on their own. That engine was built to withstand much higher peak revs and was very early in its sweet spot when hitting the factory set rpm limit. The difference was only about 400 rpm as I recall but it made all the difference in terms of shifting at a more natural feeling point in the performance band. Those attributes seem to have been well sorted out by the factory on our P-cars but if I could gain similar performance increases without compromising other aspects of the car I would do it without hesitation.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:43 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

It is my understanding that Porsche left very little performance on the table with the 996 Carreras(the 996 Turbo is a different story), which is why you can spend a lot of money on performance mods for these cars and have little to show for it. You can spend a small fortune on performance mods for these cars(intake plenums, cold air intakes, exhaust, chips, etc) and experience relatively little improvement on a dyno. In fact, certain “performance” parts for these cars actually decrease power.

I’d be willing to bet that the performance chip would do two main things, increase throttle response and increase redline as mentioned previously. Improving throttle response, by changing the sensitivity of the throttle-by-wire system, would probably make the car feel a bit quicker when you first put your foot in it. On the other hand, increasing the redline on the 996 Carrera would not improve performance as the engine(3.4L) makes peak horsepower at 6800 RPM and then HP falls off pretty rapidly. The stock 7300 RPM redline is probably more than adequate. Any other tricks the chip is claimed to perform I’d be very skeptical of.

Anyone here actually tried this, or any other chip, on a 996 Carrera?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TideRace
No experience with chips in Porsche, but they are a well accepted means of increasing certain performance aspects in BMW. I added a Dinan chip to a 540i and it transformed the car by getting rid of the built-in throttle lag (BMW didn't want to overly excite their median US buyer), and it raised the rev limiter which was crucial on the 6 spd. Supposedly there were some other modest gains in HP/torque but I doubt they were enough to notice on their own. That engine was built to withstand much higher peak revs and was very early in its sweet spot when hitting the factory set rpm limit. The difference was only about 400 rpm as I recall but it made all the difference in terms of shifting at a more natural feeling point in the performance band. Those attributes seem to have been well sorted out by the factory on our P-cars but if I could gain similar performance increases without compromising other aspects of the car I would do it without hesitation.
There are "real" chips out there that boost performance. Chips that actually alter the programming of the DME. I had a 944 that had a real chip. However, I haven't heard of any for the M96 engine. There are DME flashes that you can do to reprogram the DME and bost performance.

The G-Force is not a real chip, its just a resistor. If you look on the website, its available for almost every car made. Sound like a "cure what ails ya" solution? Thats what it is, snake oil.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:58 PM
jdjones2010
Pro

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
It is my understanding that Porsche left very little performance on the table with the 996 Carreras(the 996 Turbo is a different story), which is why you can spend a lot of money on performance mods for these cars and have little to show for it. You can spend a small fortune on performance mods for these cars(intake plenums, cold air intakes, exhaust, chips, etc) and experience relatively little improvement on a dyno. In fact, certain “performance” parts for these cars actually decrease power.

I’d be willing to bet that the performance chip would do two main things, increase throttle response and increase redline as mentioned previously. Improving throttle response, by changing the sensitivity of the throttle-by-wire system, would probably make the car feel a bit quicker when you first put your foot in it. On the other hand, increasing the redline on the 996 Carrera would not improve performance as the engine(3.4L) makes peak horsepower at 6800 RPM and then HP falls off pretty rapidly. The stock 7300 RPM redline is probably more than adequate. Any other tricks the chip is claimed to perform I’d be very skeptical of.

Anyone here actually tried this, or any other chip, on a 996 Carrera?
Good write up DreamCarrera, there's always going to be those guys that think they work no matter what you tell them. An Extra 69hp for JUST $69 (NOT), you could spend a legit 5k & be hard pressed to do that! jmo

Quick Reply: G-Force Performance Chip