996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

G-Force Performance Chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Jacks911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with Larry $895 for 20 HP ?.... this is a 7% gain - If it is really available for your available pump gas. Regular Shell up here is at best 92 and with Ethanol now. If I believed TechArt, I already have nearly 20 more HP with my Exhaust System. And that cost the PO $3500. That make this look like a good deal. TechArt advertises a 25 HP Gain with a Flash plus the Exhaust and a hi flow air filter. So if you really want a bit more the Flash may be worth it to you but... what are you giving up? I am really very happy with the power and Throttle response of my Carrera, so I would be happy with a better tank of Ethanol free 94 octane gas.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:58 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by morganabowen
I am really glad that I started this thread. The reference to Vivid Racing opend my eyes and I beg to ask the question, "Is 22HP worth $895.00?" I think I will look into investing into a GT2 wing
morgan, that's one thing I've noticed on the Porsches is it costs mega $$$ for just a few extra hp, this chip pretty much stays along the same price per hp as everything else. Which I've never thought any of them were worth it, I guess thats why mine is still stock. Same as the carbon fiber, it looks good but not THAT good! jmo
Old 02-19-2012, 03:43 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

All power in NA applications costs a lot, its not a Porsche specific issue!

I spent around 15k on my Toyota 1600cc race motor for an extra 45WHP.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:14 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Last year at the PCA Tech Tactics East I sat in on a session on tuning by Scott Slauson. He said as a general rule most Porsche ECU's were designed to about 90% of their performance potential. Scott also said that there are a lot of people out there claim to be experts making ECU flashes. I am no expert but it would be very unlikely that Porsche would program the ECU such that it is at the limit. There are compromises as a ECU map that takes an engine closer to its limits has less margin for error and can result in reliability issues.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:05 PM
82_930
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by morganabowen
I am really glad that I started this thread. The reference to Vivid Racing opend my eyes and I beg to ask the question, "Is 22HP worth $895.00?" I think I will look into investing into a GT2 wing
Originally Posted by jdjones2010
WOW, & its from vividracing (on a dyno) looks legit, wonder if we could get a price break if we had enough that wanted one! Does anybody know anything about them, first time I've ever seen that one. And I've always been a big believer that they were all just gimmicks! Could this one be any different.
The ad reads $895 but also has the option to "Make Offer", which means that they will take less for just one customer... I am sure that the discount will be further for multiple orders.

Remember, this is just software download, and a USB cable (which probably is under $20)... They made their costs back a long time ago.

Originally Posted by SSST
My personal experience with chipping NA vehicles has been less than impressive. You can pick up modest performance improvements, but usually at the expense of something else like coils.

Turbos are a different matter. You can really really get some significant improvements in a boosted vehicle with minimal risk to other components as long as you can deal with heat evacuation.
+1

I have flashed NA cars as well, and I can tell you that anything under 30hp will NOT be felt...

Also, I wonder if they raise the rev limiter? To me (from a very baddddd experience) this is a totally stupid and dangerous thing to do.

If this software has safe parameters, then the decision is just a function of cost. 22 crank hp is not the same as 22 wheel horse power (which is true hp)...so it's not like you will feel it, but you will have it.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 PM
ttreat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding the OBD II lockdown for emissions...
This is ridiculous. I think it is important to be a good steward of the environment but for the number of cars that really would want to cheat the test I think it would be a waste of tax payer and manufacturer resources to try to implement what was proposed. I would like to know the true percentage of tuned cars versus the total number of cars out on the street. It is probably even much less than the number of "heavy" vehicles that do not have to meet the emissions and mileage regulations.

This reminds me of the environmentalist that were (are) trying to mandate a speed limit on the autobahn. Doing so would have minimal impact on pollution as much of the autobahn already has speed limits and in areas where there are no limits everybody is not driving at WOT.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
It is my understanding that Porsche left very little performance on the table with the 996 Carreras(the 996 Turbo is a different story), which is why you can spend a lot of money on performance mods for these cars and have little to show for it. You can spend a small fortune on performance mods for these cars(intake plenums, cold air intakes, exhaust, chips, etc) and experience relatively little improvement on a dyno. In fact, certain “performance” parts for these cars actually decrease power.

I’d be willing to bet that the performance chip would do two main things, increase throttle response and increase redline as mentioned previously. Improving throttle response, by changing the sensitivity of the throttle-by-wire system, would probably make the car feel a bit quicker when you first put your foot in it. On the other hand, increasing the redline on the 996 Carrera would not improve performance as the engine(3.4L) makes peak horsepower at 6800 RPM and then HP falls off pretty rapidly. The stock 7300 RPM redline is probably more than adequate. Any other tricks the chip is claimed to perform I’d be very skeptical of.

Anyone here actually tried this, or any other chip, on a 996 Carrera?
Great write-up and right on the money. Or save your money for a turbo if you want more HP.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:54 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pmkazz
Great write-up and right on the money. Or save your money for a turbo if you want more HP.
Yes, it is, if this is what you wanted to hear. But it's not really technically factual, and the author has by his own admission never driven a modified car.

For one thing, Porsche did leave "horsepower on the table." I refer you to the earlier poster's comment from the tech seminar. There is absolutely no chance these engines were shipped at 100% of their potential, given the risk Porsche has on things like variable fuel quality. And that's just one reason they would tune conservatively. I'm happy to bore you with the vagaries of the EPA urban drive cycle, if you're up for it. It's up to you to decide if the gains matter or are worth the money, but it's not true to say they're imaginary.

I also agree that raising the redline slightly doesn't mean much. That is, unless you autocross, where being able to delay a shift for another 300 rpm can, on some courses, be quite meaningful. DreamCarrera incorrectly characterizes the benefit, here. It's not about more horsepower, it's about the gap between gear ratios and the horsepower you'd be making if you were forced to upshift. A small market, I admit, but somebody out there cares.

I think when people say that they think these mods don't do anything, it's kind of an insult to those of us who spent the money. I totally support anybody's right to an opinion about whether these mods are worth it. It's not necessary to take it to the point where you imply people like me are imagining things and thus fools.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Yes, it is, if this is what you wanted to hear. But it's not really technically factual, and the author has by his own admission never driven a modified car.

For one thing, Porsche did leave "horsepower on the table." I refer you to the earlier poster's comment from the tech seminar. There is absolutely no chance these engines were shipped at 100% of their potential, given the risk Porsche has on things like variable fuel quality. And that's just one reason they would tune conservatively. I'm happy to bore you with the vagaries of the EPA urban drive cycle, if you're up for it. It's up to you to decide if the gains matter or are worth the money, but it's not true to say they're imaginary.

I also agree that raising the redline slightly doesn't mean much. That is, unless you autocross, where being able to delay a shift for another 300 rpm can, on some courses, be quite meaningful. DreamCarrera incorrectly characterizes the benefit, here. It's not about more horsepower, it's about the gap between gear ratios and the horsepower you'd be making if you were forced to upshift. A small market, I admit, but somebody out there cares.

I think when people say that they think these mods don't do anything, it's kind of an insult to those of us who spent the money. I totally support anybody's right to an opinion about whether these mods are worth it. It's not necessary to take it to the point where you imply people like me are imagining things and thus fools.
Dude - Relax, I never said your gains were imaginary and neither I nor the previous poster insulted you in any way. And certainly no one called you a "fool". Why so defensive? I simply stated that the gains to be realized by modifying these NA 996s pale in comparison to the cost, which is simply MHO. I stated that Porsche left “very little” on the table, I did not say that Porsche left “nothing” on the table. Is there something to be gained from certain mods? Of course there is, Porsche detuned these cars for real world owners. The real question is whether or not the mods are worth it. It is up to each individual owner to decide whether or not the slight bump in HP is worth the extra cost. To me it is not worth it. This is just my opinion, nothing more. You yourself previously stated that the money you spent on mods was probably not worth it, or something to that effect. It's true that I have never driven a modified 996 but I'd be willing to bet my but dyno couldn't tell the difference as I was unable to detect the extra power of a 996 MKII compared to my MKI.

Also, I did not incorrectly characterize anything in my discussion on raising the redline. Perhaps you should go back and re-read my post before calling me out in such a way. I am well aware of the reasoning behind raising the redline. As I previously stated, these cars make peak HP at about 6800 RPM and after that the HP falls off abruptly. IMHO, and I do track/AX the car, the 7,300 RPM redline is sufficient. The gearing in these cars is close enough that shifting at the redline leaves you in the meat of the HP/TQ curve when entering the next higher gear. Would raising the redline a few hundred RPM help here? Maybe or maybe not, but it would not be worth the potential risks to the engine.

There is absolutely no reason to take offense to my comments and I certainly never claimed that you were imagining things.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:11 AM
jdjones2010
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm NO WHERE near as knowledgeable as you guys are on this matter, BUT like I said before put it on the DYNO, end of discussion! jmo
Old 02-21-2012, 09:22 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdjones2010
I'm NO WHERE near as knowledgeable as you guys are on this matter, BUT like I said before put it on the DYNO, end of discussion! jmo
You'd think. But I've never seen a dyno posted to a board like this where people didn't chime in about how unreliable dynos were and how you can't control for changes in ambient conditions between the pre- and post-mod runs. There is no evidence-based case that will convince someone away from their position on mods, pro or con.

It's not just this board, either. People get religious about this subject for some reason.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:51 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Dude - Relax, I never said your gains were imaginary and neither I nor the previous poster insulted you in any way. And certainly no one called you a "fool". Why so defensive? I simply stated that the gains to be realized by modifying these NA 996s pale in comparison to the cost, which is simply MHO. I stated that Porsche left “very little” on the table, I did not say that Porsche left “nothing” on the table. Is there something to be gained from certain mods? Of course there is, Porsche detuned these cars for real world owners. The real question is whether or not the mods are worth it. It is up to each individual owner to decide whether or not the slight bump in HP is worth the extra cost. To me it is not worth it. This is just my opinion, nothing more. You yourself previously stated that the money you spent on mods was probably not worth it, or something to that effect. It's true that I have never driven a modified 996 but I'd be willing to bet my but dyno couldn't tell the difference as I was unable to detect the extra power of a 996 MKII compared to my MKI.
I will never defend what I spent. This is called being reasonable and letting people make their own conclusions. I've never seen an enthusiast message board where people could have a civil conversation about this, so I try not to look like I have a strong opinion or to impose it on others. But neither did I say I regretted what I spent. Let's face it, some people don't think Porsches are worth the money, either. While it's true you parsed your language as you say, it is also true that you are essentially dismissing the value of these mods without either technical or personal experience. I think that needs to be called out so that nobody mistakes a well written post for an accurate one.

Also, I did not incorrectly characterize anything in my discussion on raising the redline. Perhaps you should go back and re-read my post before calling me out in such a way. I am well aware of the reasoning behind raising the redline. As I previously stated, these cars make peak HP at about 6800 RPM and after that the HP falls off abruptly. IMHO, and I do track/AX the car, the 7,300 RPM redline is sufficient. The gearing in these cars is close enough that shifting at the redline leaves you in the meat of the HP/TQ curve when entering the next higher gear. Would raising the redline a few hundred RPM help here? Maybe or maybe not, but it would not be worth the potential risks to the engine.
I was careful to say that this might not be interesting to everyone, just what it was for. I will add that your track experience with the car cannot be generalized to all tracks and all drivers. Racers like to make their own decisions about shift points. It's a relatively long way from second to third in this car, and torque starts to fall off a couple thousand rpm before the horsepower peak. For someone, somewhere, that might be worth a few hundredths. The blanket statement that "7,300 rpm is sufficient" is true for you, but, again, not universally so.

Butt dynos, to use your term, are infallible. Nobody's is wrong, which is why I never defend my mods. It's legitimate to say, "I drove one, and couldn't tell the difference." It's less legitimate to say, "I've never driven one, but I bet I couldn't tell the difference."
Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

While it's true you parsed your language as you say, it is also true that you are essentially dismissing the value of these mods without either technical or personal experience. I think that needs to be called out so that nobody mistakes a well written post for an accurate one.
This statement is not accurate. I am not completely dismissing mods as worthless but I do question their value for the NA 996s based purely on economic terms. While it is true that I have never personally modified my 996, I have owned my car(996) for about 7 years now and during that time I have toyed with the idea of modifying the car. I have investigated various mods and I have researched the claims made by the manufacturers, those who have purchased the products, as well as dyno results posted by both the manufacturers and customers. So I would say that my understanding of the various mods is somewhat educated but I am certainly by no means an expert.

In the end I decided that the gains to be achieved by modifying my 996 were not worth the expense to me. You chose otherwise and I certainly respect your choice.

I’d be willing to bet good money that if we dyno tested our cars side by side, my bone stock 2000 C2 vs. your modified 2000 C2(I think you have a 2000?), your car would put up better numbers. I’d also be willing to bet that the increase in power would not be enough to prompt me to purchase the mods for my car, although all of this is pure speculation. One thing I am sure of, however is that we will not be doing this side by side test anytime soon so my $X,000 is safely tucked in the bank for now.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 PM
BruceP
Drifting

I’d be willing to bet good money that if we dyno tested our cars side by side, my bone stock 2000 C2 vs. your modified 2000 C2(I think you have a 2000?), your car would put up better numbers. I’d also be willing to bet that the increase in power would not be enough to prompt me to purchase the mods for my car, although all of this is pure speculation.
The funny thing is, I don't have a lot of interest in the numbers. I've never been much of a bench racer. I haven't even had my car dynoed. I did what I did because I had a certain goal in mind, which was to give the car a more 'analog' personality without making it high strung or compromising reliability. Powertrain mod-wise, I did the SSK, intake, plenum, flash, exhaust and RS motor mounts. I think if you drove it, you'd agree it feels different than yours. That's something you just can't know any other way.

To me, unless you race, that's what tuning is about. Customizing, more than improving (this is also a great 911 tradition). That's why I'm reluctant to judge the value of a mod, especially on paper. It is, in the end, 100% subjective.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

The funny thing is, I don't have a lot of interest in the numbers. I've never been much of a bench racer. I haven't even had my car dynoed. I did what I did because I had a certain goal in mind, which was to give the car a more 'analog' personality without making it high strung or compromising reliability. Powertrain mod-wise, I did the SSK, intake, plenum, flash, exhaust and RS motor mounts. I think if you drove it, you'd agree it feels different than yours. That's something you just can't know any other way.

To me, unless you race, that's what tuning is about. Customizing, more than improving (this is also a great 911 tradition). That's why I'm reluctant to judge the value of a mod, especially on paper. It is, in the end, 100% subjective.
That’s a great point. Modifying a car to change its personality is often overlooked and usually gets lost in the emphasis on performance numbers.

Unfortunately, to really get a feel for this(personality change) you need to test the mod before buying which is hard to do unless you can test drive a car that already has the modifications you are considering.

I’ve been kicking around the idea of replacing my stock suspension with an ROW M030 or PSS10 set up to give the car a more go-cart type feel, not to mention the other benefits of a sportier suspension. However, as of yet, I have been unable to secure a test drive in a car with these suspension mods.

Quick Reply: G-Force Performance Chip