Sponsored by:

What's the best engine oil 996?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 02:51 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
I met the owner of an oil company. https://www.raloylubricantes.mx/ They have a A40 certified synthetic oil produced in Mexico. Basically he said to use clean oil and change it often. I think whats important is mostly keeping clean oil in the engine. Im running 5w50 Mobil 1 right now and I did notice the oil pressure is a bit higher but the car ran fine with Autozone euro 5w40 with Porsche A40 Certification. Motor Oil is a business with lots of competitors and lots of them have A40 Porsche certifications. This points to just having clean oil is better that figuring out which oil is best. Just increase the change intervals in my opinion.
Ding...ding...ding....

If the manufacturer spec'd it then run it. It's fine. Remember they are considering how long they have to warrantly an engine as well. It doesn't benefit them to spec something that doesn't work. If you are worry wart then cut the change interval in half. All the recommended change intervals on modern cars are too long any way.

Last edited by venom51; 09-11-2020 at 02:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
parris (09-14-2020)
Old 09-11-2020, 02:56 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,027 Posts

If y'all want to learn about oil, how viscosity is determined, anti-wear additives, and how it impacts these Porsches, you should consider taking this class. Jake Raby and Lake Speed, Jr. (tribologist, founder of Speediagnostix) just posted a 4-session online class on Used Oil Analysis. The cost to watch all 4 sessions is just $24.99 with a Pro1 membership on YouTube. You can cancel anytime. The same live class normally costs $400.00 through GoToTraining.

Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...xD421MklK2rSrY

Last edited by ZuffenZeus; 09-11-2020 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:35 PM
Howaboutthat
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I tend to favor Motul excess and Ravenol VST. Driven brand is fine, but the price, coupled with limited sources of supply and the whole supposed need to run break-in oil before getting locked into that product, are a bit off-putting. If they offered somewhat better pricing, even if only for largish consumer-level orders (say, in five-liter jugs or the like), they likely would do better in the market.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:41 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMonney
I met the owner of an oil company. https://www.raloylubricantes.mx/ They have a A40 certified synthetic oil produced in Mexico. Basically he said to use clean oil and change it often. I think whats important is mostly keeping clean oil in the engine. Im running 5w50 Mobil 1 right now and I did notice the oil pressure is a bit higher but the car ran fine with Autozone euro 5w40 with Porsche A40 Certification. Motor Oil is a business with lots of competitors and lots of them have A40 Porsche certifications. This points to just having clean oil is better that figuring out which oil is best. Just increase the change intervals in my opinion.
You've run Autozone oil in a Porsche?!?!?! Oh, the humanity...

Originally Posted by b3freak
If y'all want to learn about oil, how viscosity is determined, anti-wear additives, and how it impacts these Porsches, you should consider taking this class. Jake Raby and Lake Speed, Jr. (tribologist, founder of Speediagnostix) just posted a 4-session online class on Used Oil Analysis. The cost to watch all 4 sessions is just $24.99 with a Pro1 membership on YouTube. You can cancel anytime. The same live class normally costs $400.00 through GoToTraining.

Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...xD421MklK2rSrY

HAHA Yeah, I'll take a hard pass on this one. I may not lead the most exciting life but I'm sure I can find thousands of better things to do than take this class.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:56 PM
Billup
Three Wheelin'

Received 608 Likes on 336 Posts

I've been using used oil with 1k miles from the 128i, which is a mix of Mobil 1 0W-40, Elf 10W-40, and a shot of Crown.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:32 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
HAHA Yeah, I'll take a hard pass on this one. I may not lead the most exciting life but I'm sure I can find thousands of better things to do than take this class.
No reason for the self-centered snarky comment. There are a lot of people that want to learn how to properly read a Used Oil Analysis. Relying on the commentary from a UOA doesn't also tell the whole story. You need to understand what to look in respect to wear metals and how it applies to the specific oil that you're running in your car. When your car starts to eat itself up internally, you think the Blackstone commentator is going to give you the right information in their little 3-5 sentence summary? It's up to the owner to know what to look for and to catch trend data.
The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
islaTurbine (09-12-2020), ltusler (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 04:24 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

No reason for the self-centered snarky comment. There are a lot of people that want to learn how to properly read a Used Oil Analysis. Relying on the commentary from a UOA doesn't also tell the whole story. You need to understand what to look in respect to wear metals and how it applies to the specific oil that you're running in your car. When your car starts to eat itself up internally, you think the Blackstone commentator is going to give you the right information in their little 3-5 sentence summary? It's up to the owner to know what to look for and to catch trend data.

WOW, self-centered and snarky...I apologize for offending your delicate sensibilities.

In essence, the entire 996 forum is a big disguised advertisement for certain vendors here anyway so I guess your post is a perfect fit...
Old 09-12-2020, 05:22 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

In essence, the entire 996 forum is a big disguised advertisement for certain vendors here anyway so I guess your post is a perfect fit...
Guess you failed to realize that this forum is sponsored by LN Engineering. Nothing "hidden" about that!
Old 09-12-2020, 05:41 PM
Nick_L
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

WOW, self-centered and snarky...I apologize for offending your delicate sensibilities.

Yes, that's the way it is. Look past it(like B3freak et al) and there are some good also from time to time.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:33 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Guess you failed to realize that this forum is sponsored by LN Engineering. Nothing "hidden" about that!

There it is...this section of RL has been bought and paid for...apparently we are all here for no other reason than to continue this infomercial...

I'll continue to enjoy my stock 996 while avoiding this section of RL...
Old 09-13-2020, 09:16 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

There it is...this section of RL has been bought and paid for...apparently we are all here for no other reason than to continue this infomercial...

Well, I'm definitely no spokesman for IB or Rennlist, but most major automotive forums "pay the bills" via vendor sponsorships and ad placement. If you didn't allow commercial sponsorship or ads, then all members would have to carry the weight of paying for the operating costs associated with the platform through membership fees (e.g. Consumer Reports). The IB method offers free memberships to promote a high subscriber count which enables them to present useful data (i.e. # of members/audience) to vendors. The higher the number, the more commercial vendors will be motivated to make their brand visible here on Rennlist. That doesn't mean vendors are allowed to circumvent buying decisions or censor discussions that are not profitable to their companies, but yes, they will be allowed a more commercial presence to promote their products per rules of IB. Lots of vendors go out of their way to help RL members without any financial gain or compensation. If you want to view the number of vendors, there is a menu selection on the top tool bar that will show you every vendor and their activity in any given sub-forum.
islaTurbine (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 03:33 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Haven't on here in a while but good to see the oil thread is all and well...Hi B3. How you doin'?
The following 3 users liked this post by Sneaky Pete:
Porschetech3 (09-13-2020), wildbilly32 (09-14-2020), ZuffenZeus (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 07:30 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 795 Posts

Old 09-13-2020, 07:34 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Haven't on here in a while but good to see the oil thread is all and well...Hi B3. How you doin'?
hey Pete, I’m good man, thanks! Where have you been hiding? Things have gotten boring... maybe we should invite Martin to have a few exchanges with you. Hahahahaha
Porschetech3 (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 08:33 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,603 Likes on 2,089 Posts

hey Pete, I’m good man, thanks! Where have you been hiding? Things have gotten boring... maybe we should invite Martin to have a few exchanges with you. Hahahahaha
lol...

Quick Reply: What's the best engine oil 996?