Sponsored by:

Just finished IMS Guardian Install!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Sorry guys but theres no logic in this.
I value your opinion. You need to remember that the constant calls we were receiving from those who did not want to carry out the IMSR to gain a sense of security concerning engine failure.
The logic that has lead to hundreds of units selling thus far (we are almost out of stock AGAIN!) is the following:
- The IMSG can be installed quickly and easily as a DIY.
- There is no removal of a transaxle required.
- Even if a shop is contracted to do this work its a 150.00 expense to do the job due to the simplicity of the system and how well we have developed the product.
- The system allows constant monitoring of the engine while in operation.
- Those that don't wish to apply the IMSR can utilize the Guardian for security.
- Those who apply the IMSR or already have it gain added scurity against other modes of failure since the IMSG monitors EVERY ferrous component within the engine. Changing the IMS bearing addresses one mode of the 23 modes of failure. The IMSG monitors 8 more modes of common failure. They may not be as well known, but do exist and are monitored by the system.

Spend $500 for a warning system or spend a little more and fix it yourself, which is not much harder than a clutch install.
Not much harder for what level of enthusiast? I understand that you have experience and you need to understand that the majority of those who own these vehicles don't have that experience. They also don't have a shop, don't have a lift or a tranny jack. These are the people who greatly benefit from the simplicity of the IMSG installation.

It almost sounds like 996 owners are falling for the latest "must buy gadget" wether its a CAI, tuner, or fuel saver device gizmo.
This isn't a Gizmo. Its based from technology that saved my life in 1996, it also has saved the lives of many others. The technology has impressed those in other worlds so much that we have orders for every kind of vehicle from tractor trailers to NASCAR. The Engineers at Joe Gibbs Racing hadn't seen one of these and neither had the technical Editors from Excellence Magazine who requested a unit simply after hearing that it was being developed.

The best part about all of this is that none of us have to agree if the system is necessary or not, but I think we will all agree that having security options is refreshing.

Oh and before you bash me as just another dupe, my brother competed and went to nationals in mechanics competitions and I went to state. Collectively, we probably have about $30K or $40K just in hand tools, including a 4 bay shop just for personal, not business use.
No bashing necessary. You just verified what I suspected... That you have the work area and experience to carry out an IMS Retrofit. You would also benefit from an IMSG along with that IMSR, but you may not believe so, and thats your opinion.

And now a quote from Edison that I hold very near and dear:
"Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success."

300 IMSG units sold in just over 18 hours without a single advertisement being made. I believe that those sales are also the proof of the system's utility.

I'll close by saying that the IMSG actually began development BEFORE the IMS Retrofit was available. It took many months to perfect the retrofit and that pulled time from the IMSG perfection. Prior to the IMSR being a possibility there was no use in the IMSG existing because the IMS Bearing was said to be "non-serviceable" by the manufacturer. I proved that wrong when my hands extracted the first one utilizing an improvised puller made from junk laying around the shop.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:07 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Jake, I congratulate you on your business acumen and ability to develop and market a product but I think you prove my points.

A. The 996 aging platform is not meant to be a DD.

B. If you dont know how to work on / are not willing to learn how to work on the 996, you have no business owning one.

C. A 996 owner (or any model) should have the complete service manual(s) and learn to use it (them). If your not willing to read, once again, you have no business owning a Porsche.

Sorry but thats just the facts for any Porsche. They were never meant to be DD cars. They are specialty vehicles and not for the mechanically disadvantaged or lazy.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Sue Esponte
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, talk about ignorance.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:53 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like a winner but I have to agree with the other poster, putting off the IMS upgrade seems foolhardy. I can't really think of many other gambles that can end up being so costly. Whenever I read about a new owner wanting to spend on x,y,z mods I scratch my head.

Is there a benefit to those who have already done the IMS upgrade? I wonder about what else is lurking in there. Having just spent ~10K on some fixes, updates, uprgrades, etc. for a car whose book value is not far from that amount I guess I'm in for the long haul now. Not that I mind, despite having the typical disconnected feel of a modern Pcar, it does what it does perfectly. Not going to get something better at these used prices.
Btw, the original IMS was pristine but you don't wait til you seem them cockaroaches until you start fumigatin'.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Jake, I congratulate you on your business acumen and ability to develop and market a product but I think you prove my points.
I think we should agree to somewhat disagree and not bicker.
I believe that your post may have characterized you as an individual, but I believe that your 996 peers will not agree with this post any more than I have.

From what we see the 996 is actually in it's prime for a daily driver. The majority of cars we see are daily drivers. I drove one today, I could have chosen another of the other 15 cars in my stable but it was rainy and nasty so I just drove the 996.

B. If you dont know how to work on / are not willing to learn how to work on the 996, you have no business owning one.
The car isn't a 356 or 914 that is simple enough to be repaired with a 13mm wrench. I disagree with your statement.

C. A 996 owner (or any model) should have the complete service manual(s) and learn to use it (them). If your not willing to read, once again, you have no business owning a Porsche.
Reading a manual is one thing, carrying out the work with the proper tools, work area and etc is another. Lets see a show of hands of those who can pull their own engine tonight without having to buy a single tool to do so...

Sorry but thats just the facts for any Porsche. They were never meant to be DD cars.
No it isn't. I drove a 912E 160,000 miles in 8 years. I drove that car everyday, in the snow, in the rain and 100 degree July heat. It performed flawlessly. Some people do not drive their Porsche daily, but some do and it can be done. In 2007 I racked up 32K miles on my Boxster and didn't touch it except to install the first IMS Retrofit bearing into that engine.

They are specialty vehicles and not for the mechanically disadvantaged or lazy
Yet again a show of hands for those who can dictate to me the 4 strokes of an internal combustion engine, in succession without the use of reference material? Who can pull that engine out in their Garage tonight again? All these people could install an IMS Guardian and last time I checked that was the topic that originated this thread~

Yet again, this is all opinion and no hard feelings if we disagree.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:05 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink Mine Installed Also

After reading all of the pro and con IMSG posts and seeing my car was up at the FSI Skunkworks anyway and I am totally mechanically disinclined, I asked them if they would install it for me. They were happy to do so. Photos of the installation are (I hope) attached. Not only did the do the work, they sent it back to me attached to a 3.8 Stage II motor!! They can't be all that bad, now can they? https://rennlist.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Hoping to share my experiences with the new motor as I get some miles on it, change & test the oil and take it to Sebring in December.

Attachment 583468Attachment 583469

Last edited by Cloudspin; 06-08-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

And it made 320HP at the rear wheels.... If it lasts longer than two laps it'll exceed the "other' engine's longevity :-)
Old 11-17-2011, 03:54 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK

Sorry but thats just the facts for any Porsche. They were never meant to be DD cars. They are specialty vehicles and not for the mechanically disadvantaged or lazy.
"So you cant own a car unless you can rebuild it"?.
According to you.

LOL.

Everyone can have an opinion.

Why do you see that the IMSG only relative to the IMS bearing???.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 AM
kr3678
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to disagree with Krazy K's logic. After all,

I am a human being but I pay doctors to keep me well.
I have dogs but I pay veterinarians to keep them well.
I own a house but I pay contractors, electricians and plumbers to work on it.
I own clothes but I sometimes pay dry cleaners to care for them.

Why wouldn't I pay someone more experienced and more knowledgeable to take care of my Porsche?

Besides, if Porsche ownership was limited to people with the knowledge, facilities, skills, tools and reference materials to repair and maintain them, Porsche would have gone out of business during the 356 model run. Then again, if that had happened there would be no 996s and therefore no IMS bearing issues.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:01 AM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL. I'm fed up pulling my own teeth out too.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:17 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

There must be a DEAD HORSE around here.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:38 PM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

KrazyK get off your high horse.

I get it, you and your brother have tons of tools and 4 lifts for personal use. Woo hoo...
All Porsche owners need to own a service manual and learn how to use it blah blah...

Seriously man, if it was up to you and your gestapo porsche owners rules, none of us would own one.

And judging by your 40th anniversary thread, you're a big time n00b yourself. Going back and forth, any qualified body shop would be able to see why it was repainted and check for bondo and crash information. Maybe you should read a body shops service manual and know that thing inside and out too.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:27 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OK, Phil,

Guess you didnt read the post right. You calleded me the n00b because I found the repaint in 30 seconds and the Porsche tech missed it completely? Hope you dont do your own work.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're replying to a thread where I just stated I did my own work. Way to notice.

Second, you don't even own a 996 yet do you? Do you even own a porsche?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK

B. If you don't know how to work on / are not willing to learn how to work on the 996, you have no business owning one.

That is a remarkable post....
Quite presumptuous telling people what they may or may not have the "business" to own.

Quick Reply: Just finished IMS Guardian Install!