Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just finished IMS Guardian Install!

Old 10-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Philip P
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just finished IMS Guardian Install!

Okay rennlisters, I finally finished the IMS Guardian install.

Pretty easy and straight forward, between the manual and the video lots of things are covered.

Took me about 2.5 hours from start to finish. Including many cigarette breaks and a few beers.

My oil pan looked very clean and had no ferrous material. My filter on the other hand had several small pieces of plastic. Also in my pan I found a small piece of amber plastic about 1/4" long and 1/8" wide. Very brittle but that was all I found.

Things to look out for...

When fishing the wire to the other side, don't have the white clip on it as it comes from the factory. Mine fell out while fishing and I had to go and hunt for it.

The diagram on the manual is incorrect for where to tap the other switch. It says to use Slot #3 but the slot that is marked 3 is not the same as the one in the video. I ended up just following the video and it worked out fine, nonetheless the wire that is in the video is #2.

The lighted switch itself only works one way. My switch only sounds and turns red when applying pressure to the side with the light on it. Making it difficult to see if it turns red when pressing. The other side of the switch does nothing.

Other than that, man this kit is complete and the hardware is amazing. I've never seen a kit that worked so hard at not having to splice a single wire! Everything was very factory and I was extremely happy with the completeness of the kit.

Anyone have any issues or need any help in the local area, Orange County, I'm more than happy to assist.

P.S. I have a oil sump skid plate so its not much of a concern for me but perhaps it would be wise to invest in one if you don't already have one.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:15 AM
sheatley
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the tips on installation. I am planning same in the near future. I am not sure about what to do about the plastic pieces you describe, which I also have. What level or amount of plastic pieces in the oil filter would push you to do some replacement measures?

I am hoping this IMS Guardian detects the critical ferrous elements that predict IMS failure. The plastic pieces from seal breakdown and VarioCam Pad according to my searches seem to be normal and warrant work at the 100k mile mark.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Pretty easy and straight forward, between the manual and the video lots of things are covered.

Took me about 2.5 hours from start to finish. Including many cigarette breaks and a few beers.
Glad you found the install straight forward and the instructions and DVD assisted you. We have enhanced both the instructions and DVD from the first generation already to cover some specific questions that we didn't expect from installers.

My oil pan looked very clean and had no ferrous material. My filter on the other hand had several small pieces of plastic. Also in my pan I found a small piece of amber plastic about 1/4" long and 1/8" wide. Very brittle but that was all I found.
Those are normal, but are signs that you should consider chain rail replacement.

Things to look out for...

When fishing the wire to the other side, don't have the white clip on it as it comes from the factory. Mine fell out while fishing and I had to go and hunt for it.
We install those so the installer knows where they are to be attached in the harness.. It should be removed before fishing the wires through the dash.

The diagram on the manual is incorrect for where to tap the other switch. It says to use Slot #3 but the slot that is marked 3 is not the same as the one in the video. I ended up just following the video and it worked out fine, nonetheless the wire that is in the video is #2.
The majority of cars use slot#3; EVERY unit we have installed here has used #3, but other installers have found what you have and its variable dependent upon what switched circuit you are tying in to.

The lighted switch itself only works one way. My switch only sounds and turns red when applying pressure to the side with the light on it. Making it difficult to see if it turns red when pressing. The other side of the switch does nothing.
Thats by design. Since the switch used is a Porsche seat heater switch it's internal circuitry on the opposing side is only designed to interrupt a connection to a relay. Because of this that side of the switch does nothing and isn't supposed to.

Other than that, man this kit is complete and the hardware is amazing. I've never seen a kit that worked so hard at not having to splice a single wire! Everything was very factory and I was extremely happy with the completeness of the kit.
Thats what we worked very hard to achieve.. The wiring portion of the install is so simple and comprehensive that literally all you need is a small screwdriver. People can't understand how difficult this was do! Seamless integration into the dash was one challenge, the second was the wiring.

Anyone have any issues or need any help in the local area, Orange County, I'm more than happy to assist.
I know that at least 20 kits ended up in SOCAL, so you might have some calls.

P.S. I have a oil sump skid plate so its not much of a concern for me but perhaps it would be wise to invest in one if you don't already have one.
Though the MCD sensor is lower than stock, it is still not the lowest point of the car.

Glad the install went well for you.. But you did make one mistake and that was calling the IMS Alert Hotline with an installation question as no technical installation assistance is given on this hotline. It is ONLY for those who have received an IMS Alert and are on the side of the road needing a lifeline.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:23 PM
hotwlz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a skid plate as well. How did you accommodate the wiring and connector under the plate when you re-installed the plate?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

In situations where the skid plate is employed I have ran the connections on top of the plate since everything related to the wiring and connections is side exiting. Install the MCD, then install the skid plate.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
hotwlz
AutoX

When installed my skid plate fits virtaully flush with the sump cover, leaving no clearance for the connector fitted about 6 inches from the MCD plug. Any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Some plates install closer to the engine. I'd say that some mods might be necessary to your skid plate to fit the sensor. I have yet to experience one of those situations. As we install more units into local cars I am sure we'll see this at some point.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Philip P
Racer

I use the porsche optional skit plate and have no problems with clearance with the sensor or the wire.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Philip P
Racer

and jake, I apologize for that phone call my friend called the number while i was working on the car to talk to tech and he must have called the # on the card. sorry about that.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:18 PM
dennis hiip
Rennlist Member

I just finished my IMS Guardian install and have a suggestion for those about to do theirs. Consider installing the warning switch on the right hand bank of switches(right of radio rather than on the left side). Mine is on the left and I have difficulty seeing it because it's behind the steering wheel and blocked from view. I'm going to move mine to the right of radio so I can see it.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dennis hiip
I just finished my IMS Guardian install and have a suggestion for those about to do theirs. Consider installing the warning switch on the right hand bank of switches(right of radio rather than on the left side). Mine is on the left and I have difficulty seeing it because it's behind the steering wheel and blocked from view. I'm going to move mine to the right of radio so I can see it.
Good point... If the dash has open slots in the right side the warning light is much easier to see.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or in the slots near the hand brake?
Old 11-03-2011, 02:41 AM
Philip P
Racer

I put mine on the right myself. I felt the same way having it on the left.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:04 PM
thirteeneast
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jake,

Mine was #3 different location but your instruction for pin 3 for 12v was spot on.
I was a bit of a **** however! and tried to test switch before MCD was connected to the sump and obviously there would be no ground if you were to do that. Doh'
+&- = :-)

+ = :-( Shame on me.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:02 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,410 Likes on 2,687 Posts

would it be wiser to chaulk up the extra $1500 and have the IMSbearing and RMS replaced for both peace of mind and resale comfort?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just finished IMS Guardian Install!