Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,840 Likes on 2,868 Posts

as far as install cost for IMS/RMS $2400 seems very high:

- the IMS bearing is $620
- RMS $20
labor should be no more than $800 so total cost for parts and install should be around $1400-$1600 max.

my IMS/RMS, flywheel and clutch was a $2800 price tag at my local indy shop
Old 01-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thirteeneast
LOL. I'm fed up pulling my own teeth out too.
Hahahahah! I know the feeling, last time I did my own coloscopy I was good halfway through the upper intestine then I passed out because I was watching the monitor through my legs while I stood up.... Must have been all that blood rushing to my head.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:52 PM
2300cc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished installing my IMS guardian as well. Very straightforward, just follow the instructuins. I tapped pin 3 and all works well. The car took almost a full extra quart of oil but that's probably about what I drained from the pan after I took it out so it makes sense. All in all very nice and seamless product, I would reccomend it!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:48 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also did my install a few weeks ago, and thought I'd chime in. I installed the switch on the right side of the horseshoe, for easier viewing. The problem with this is that it makes the cable JUST long enough to reach the engine. Even 6 more inches (of cable, get your mind out of the gutter) would have made my life easier in the install. I had to pull the radio and HVAC unit to get the wiring neatly installed and the alarm box/electronics module in to the empty niche, as shown in the installation diagram.

Locating the plug in the face of the footwell area of the seat was a royal PITA. There is so much rubber undercoating it was invisible. You have to remove the plastic under shield in that area to access it. That area looks NOTHING like either the instuction video or the booklet, on a 2002 C2. The IMSG and plug fit easily under the Porsche oil pan skid plate.

When I installed the fusebox connection, I unscrewed the cover with the carpet piece, so that I could run the wire behind & through an existing opening in the cover, so the wire would be totally hidden. To fit it, I cut the wire at the splice and then crimped it back together. I wish they had used the same larger gauge wire through out, but it lookes like the fuse doubler they used, only came in that smaller gauge. After I located the 7.5 A accessories fuse and installed it as shown, I noticed the snap on cover would no long stay snapped on. There is a small tab that helps center the multilaguage fuse diagram to the cover, that hits smack on the fuse doubler. I cut that tab with a pair of dykes. I also removed some of the pages, and left the english version and attachments. Cover snaps in place fine now.

I have to say that even though I felt I was not worried about my IMS, and dropping my pan showed no metal at all, nor did the filters, I have a greater feeling of reliability about the car, and have been driving it more aggressively. Of course also adding the tranny mount B&M undercarriage short shifter, doing the PSE MKII hack to the mufflers, and installing PSS9s and FVD wheel spacers, all help to enhance the new driving fun!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 AM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I got mine done a couple of weeks ago. I didn't really want to drop the sump plate and try to get it back on straight without the benefit of a lift.
I brought it to http://epe.com/ No affiliation
They did a great installation, took 3.5 hours labor. I now have peace of mind.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Finally did mine as well. Found a lot of comfort in the fact that the sump was clean, now have the added benefit of the guardian monitoring.
Given I waited to install, wishing I waited for the later model with audio output. Too much rock music as a kid, i'm not sure I will hear the audible alert. Any upgrade retrofit possibility here?
Old 04-13-2016, 12:52 PM
rhgindc
AutoX

What sort of louder buzzer would be recommended? I just had the IMS Guardian installed and its got the extra 12V output...but I'm not sure what type of buzzer to put in so I might be able to hear the IMS Guardian warning go off while the top is down and the stereo is kinda loud. Also, where could the buzzer be placed so that it's aesthetically pleasing but is in a place that's easily heard with all the road noise.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:46 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,840 Likes on 2,868 Posts

they sell a shock neck collar over on the pelican website
Old 04-13-2016, 03:00 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rhgindc
What sort of louder buzzer would be recommended?
Any generic piezo buzzer element should work.

Here's one example:
Amazon.com: DC 9-15V HYD-4218 Active Piezo Electronic Alarm Buzzer: Electronics Amazon.com: DC 9-15V HYD-4218 Active Piezo Electronic Alarm Buzzer: Electronics
Old 04-13-2016, 03:26 PM
rhgindc
AutoX

Originally Posted by alpine003
Any generic piezo buzzer element should work.

Here's one example:
Amazon.com: DC 9-15V HYD-4218 Active Piezo Electronic Alarm Buzzer: Electronics

Thanks Alpine003,
Any ideas where you'd place that? For both looks and being to be easily heard (when the top is down and the radio is playing)
Old 04-13-2016, 03:40 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Alpine003,
Any ideas where you'd place that? For both looks and being to be easily heard (when the top is down and the radio is playing)
Only you can determine that with your radio listening habits and some trial and error but I would start with some double sided tape and place it next to the manual holder underneath the dash and see how it works there first.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:42 PM
m3driver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Alpine003,
Bend over and he will show you.

Quick Reply: Just finished IMS Guardian Install!