Possible Leverage for failed IMS/engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,288 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by targa996
"before I put it away for the winter"

Isn't that one of the key phrases here ? If I don't drive my car once a week at least i'm paranoid that my seals will dry out and this will start the IMS bearing problem process ! Well, who knows.

Also, Jake - is there data from oil analysis that says 6 months max on mobile 1 no matter the mileage ? I'm on schedule to do about 5K miles per year - drive every week at least (and not short trips at low RPM !) - and will probably add at least 2 new quarts over that period ... oil does not look too black yet - I'm hoping to go one year between changes - esp since Porsche recommends 15K interval and I will be at 1/3 of that in mostly ideal driving conditions (no extreme temps, stop/go, humidity etc.). I plan to do oil analysis at first change and see what they say .......
I have all the data that I need to do the following with the engines that have my name on them:

1- Not to use any Mobil Oil product
2- Change the oil every 6 months or 5,000 miles

Those are the rules I have created. I could care less what the factory states; we don't read the books and comply to them... We write our own book. But thats just what we do.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:16 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboScout
Just brought my '01 996 with 54K miles into the shop with an apparent IMS failure. Haven't yet opened things up yet to see the extent of the damage, but it's not looking good. I am (OK was) a guy who enjoyed driving the car immensely but I haven't been one you could classify as an enthusiast. I only heard of this potential issue a few weeks ago when a friend sent me an article on the IMS Guardian. It got me thinking that I should look into installing one over the winter for peace of mind. Guess I am a little late...

We'll see where things go here, but I find it incredibly disappointing (OK infuriating) that such a serious design deficiency in these engines isn't being dealt with properly by Porsche. All my driving life, I always looked to Porsche as a company that really knew how to build an engine...reality check time for me.

When I first read about the IMS issues, I figured that we're talking about high mileage cars, or those that are tracked or driven hard. But, that is not the case. In my situation, I put roughly 5K miles on it each year, drive it reasonably (we do all love to let it run from time to time), and faithfully change the oil each December before I put it away for the winter. I had no advance warning (strange noises, obvious shavings in the oil last change) that things were breaking down. You know, I was told this week that lots of lower-rev driving around town may actually contribute to an IMS failure due to the added load that it puts on the engine. So, don't think that you aren't likely to see this failure because you have a low mileage car, or you don't beat on the car.

In any case, I just wanted to add myself to the list of IMS failure 'victims'. Those of you out there with a '996 like mine should these warnings very seriously.
"byprodriver" has a 3.6 rebuilt upgrade from a 3.4L for sale that would be perfect for you. perhaps you can get a core exchange if your core is reusable.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:41 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

"Wait a second, you are not an enthusiast and you were unaware of the supposed M96/97 failures yet you regularly cut open your oil filter to check for metal shavings...Very interesting.

These stories(from Newbies) just keep getting better and better. You just can't make this stuff up...on the other hand maybe you can. HMMM"

It only takes about 5 minutes of research on a 996 before buying one to find all the horror stories about IMS failure. Im still looking because of this info and passed over on what I thought to be some fine 996 cars. I will probably just move to a 997 because of the info just from this ONE forum. I mean seriously, I need to buy a warning system to let me know my engine is about to blow up?
Old 11-12-2011, 12:27 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

[QUOTE=KrazyK;9018728
It only takes about 5 minutes of research on a 996 before buying one to find all the horror stories about IMS failure. Im still looking because of this info and passed over on what I thought to be some fine 996 cars. I will probably just move to a 997 because of the info just from this ONE forum. I mean seriously, I need to buy a warning system to let me know my engine is about to blow up?[/QUOTE]

I hope you reconsider, it's hard to beat a 996 for fun vs $, although I have to admit to peaking at '09 997 prices lately.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:28 PM
kr3678
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
I will probably just move to a 997 because of the info just from this ONE forum. I mean seriously, I need to buy a warning system to let me know my engine is about to blow up?
FYI: IMS issues have been reported in some 997s as well.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:16 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Ericginpa
It's not your fault your ignorant. If you had some mechanical acumen you might understand what the grown-ups are talking about.
Dude, what's your problem? This is about the 5th or 6th time you have felt the need, for whatever reason, to step in and insult me personally even though this has nothing to do with you.

Name the time and place when you want to meet to show me your old IMS bearing. If I recall correctly you had a serious desire to show it to me. Allentown area? I remember you mentioning that you go there occasionally. Seriously, name the time and place and I will be there.

Also, bring the insults I want to hear them face to face.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,807 Posts

"dreamcarrera" if you can dish it out you have to be man enough to take it "or" create a stronger defense. making threats is childish.

after all your the one who slammed the newbie who had a legitimate question and concern.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:35 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by groovzilla
"dreamcarrera" if you can dish it out you have to be man enough to take it "or" create a stronger defense. making threats is childish.

after all your the one who slammed the newbie who had a legitimate question and concern.
Threats?

Also, you are way off on your analysis here and you do not know the story(s) behind my post.

BTW, I guess being a keyboard warrior and continuously posting insults(etc.) behind the safety of a keyboard is how real men act.

Last edited by DreamCarrera; 11-12-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:12 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

A fascinating thread.

My dilemma is whether I send my car to Jake for a 425 HP 3.8, or take the absurd depreciation on this one (which runs fine at 100k miles) and get a 997. Or maybe a GT3, sometime in the next few years.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Ericginpa
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE

Name the time and place when you want to meet to show me your old IMS bearing. If I recall correctly you had a serious desire to show it to me. Allentown area? I remember you mentioning that you go there occasionally. Seriously, name the time and place and I will be there.

Also, bring the insults I want to hear them face to face.[/QUOTE]

Months ago I pm'd you my name, address,and phone numbers,at which point you said you didn't care and had no interest in seeing it. The point I'm making is this is a tech forum. What have you added in terms of technical expertise,or help in any way. Don't let your keyboard write checks you can't cash. You wanna make it personal? I would advise against it.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:41 PM
falcon7x7
Racer

Boys, HAVE AT IT!
Old 11-12-2011, 07:00 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

[QUOTE

Months ago I pm'd you my name, address,and phone numbers,at which point you said you didn't care and had no interest in seeing it. The point I'm making is this is a tech forum. What have you added in terms of technical expertise,or help in any way. Don't let your keyboard write checks you can't cash. You wanna make it personal? I would advise against it.[/QUOTE]

===========================

You are the one who has made this personal.

I REALLY want to see that IMS bearing of yours.

Name the time and place and I'll be sure to be there.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:02 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by falcon7x7
Boys, HAVE AT IT!
+1

I am not the one throwing the personal insults around but I'd sure love to hear them in person.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:21 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

[QUOTE

Months ago I pm'd you my name, address,and phone numbers,at which point you said you didn't care and had no interest in seeing it. The point I'm making is this is a tech forum. What have you added in terms of technical expertise,or help in any way. Don't let your keyboard write checks you can't cash. You wanna make it personal? I would advise against it.[/QUOTE]

==================

I'm waiting...

I'll be sure to bring my checkbook.

Either give me a time/place or quit with the personal attacks, it's your choice.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,694 Likes on 2,807 Posts

"dreamcarrera" i do know the story because i've read the posts.

seems you have some sort of axe to grind. not sure what you mean by hiding behind my keyboard (if that was directed at me) but i've been on other porsche forums much longer than you will know and i'm familair with people like yourself who seem unstable and who's comments are degrading.

i have much more expertise in the 356 world however i'm here because i've owned lots of 911's and enjoy learning and understanding the different aspects of each model... i'm currently searching for a 1999/2000 silver/black 996 and very interested in any questions/answers regarding the IMS or RMS issues.

Quick Reply: Possible Leverage for failed IMS/engine replacement