Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ursusmuggr
Hi.

I am brand new to this site, and I did not go to bed last night with a potential IMS faiure hanging over my head. My '03 996 C-2 with only 18k miles is at my Porsche dealer where I will hear today if the scary noise is IMS related or not. If an IMS bearing failure is the case, my question is how many owners out there have had Porsche stand behind there product with a replacement engine? Even though it's an out-of-warranty case, any truly reputable manufacturer would still make it right. I know many may want to post the "you are dreaming...." reply, and perhaps this is the case. But I would prefer to proceed with my Porsche-positive attitude and give them every opportunity to make this right and maintain me as a Porsche customer for life.

So if your Porsche has suffered an IMS failure and Porsche has taken care of it (remember, in an out-of-warranty scenario), please post a reply. That would be very helpful.

Thabk you.
Hi and Welcome to Rennlist where we LOVE chatting about IMS failures.

Are you the original owner of your car?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<cough> Sorry Marc, suppose that first cup hasn't kicked in yet.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
<cough> Sorry Marc, suppose that first cup hasn't kicked in yet.
I'm with ya

IMS threads give me chest pain
Old 10-07-2011, 12:53 PM
ursusmuggr
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc,

Thanks for the welcome.

I bought the CPO car in 2004 with 6k miles on it. A little add'l info. I have followed and in most cases halved all of the Porsche recommended PM schedules at my local dealer so I have been no less than meticulous in my care for the car. This includes driving it regularly with a wide range of speeds, gears and even though the car has such low miles on it, it does get driven regularly and from cold to normal op temps.

So if the IMS failure is indeed my case, then I am going to give Porsche the opportunity to make it right and go through the process on my own.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by ursusmuggr
Marc,

Thanks for the welcome.

I bought the CPO car in 2004 with 6k miles on it. A little add'l info. I have followed and in most cases halved all of the Porsche recommended PM schedules at my local dealer so I have been no less than meticulous in my care for the car. This includes driving it regularly with a wide range of speeds, gears and even though the car has such low miles on it, it does get driven regularly and from cold to normal op temps.

So if the IMS failure is indeed my case, then I am going to give Porsche the opportunity to make it right and go through the process on my own.
I would not expect much, if any, help from PCNA on this.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:30 PM
ohdavey6286
Pro

Why dont we just have mods start a post on here, 6speed, Pelican, and any other Porsche forum that has a link that leads people to that site and make it a sticky. I would say one with a title that "pops" a little more. Perhaps something along the lines of: "Ims failure? Fill out this information for possible class action!"
Old 10-07-2011, 10:41 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ohdavey6286
Why dont we just have mods start a post on here, 6speed, Pelican, and any other Porsche forum that has a link that leads people to that site and make it a sticky. I would say one with a title that "pops" a little more. Perhaps something along the lines of: "Ims failure? Fill out this information for possible class action!"
+1000
Old 11-10-2011, 01:39 PM
RoboScout
3rd Gear

Just brought my '01 996 with 54K miles into the shop with an apparent IMS failure. Haven't yet opened things up yet to see the extent of the damage, but it's not looking good. I am (OK was) a guy who enjoyed driving the car immensely but I haven't been one you could classify as an enthusiast. I only heard of this potential issue a few weeks ago when a friend sent me an article on the IMS Guardian. It got me thinking that I should look into installing one over the winter for peace of mind. Guess I am a little late...

We'll see where things go here, but I find it incredibly disappointing (OK infuriating) that such a serious design deficiency in these engines isn't being dealt with properly by Porsche. All my driving life, I always looked to Porsche as a company that really knew how to build an engine...reality check time for me.

When I first read about the IMS issues, I figured that we're talking about high mileage cars, or those that are tracked or driven hard. But, that is not the case. In my situation, I put roughly 5K miles on it each year, drive it reasonably (we do all love to let it run from time to time), and faithfully change the oil each December before I put it away for the winter. I had no advance warning (strange noises, obvious shavings in the oil last change) that things were breaking down. You know, I was told this week that lots of lower-rev driving around town may actually contribute to an IMS failure due to the added load that it puts on the engine. So, don't think that you aren't likely to see this failure because you have a low mileage car, or you don't beat on the car.

In any case, I just wanted to add myself to the list of IMS failure 'victims'. Those of you out there with a '996 like mine should these warnings very seriously.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboScout
Just brought my '01 996 with 54K miles into the shop with an apparent IMS failure. Haven't yet opened things up yet to see the extent of the damage, but it's not looking good. I am (OK was) a guy who enjoyed driving the car immensely but I haven't been one you could classify as an enthusiast. I only heard of this potential issue a few weeks ago when a friend sent me an article on the IMS Guardian. It got me thinking that I should look into installing one over the winter for peace of mind. Guess I am a little late...

We'll see where things go here, but I find it incredibly disappointing (OK infuriating) that such a serious design deficiency in these engines isn't being dealt with properly by Porsche. All my driving life, I always looked to Porsche as a company that really knew how to build an engine...reality check time for me.

When I first read about the IMS issues, I figured that we're talking about high mileage cars, or those that are tracked or driven hard. But, that is not the case. In my situation, I put roughly 5K miles on it each year, drive it reasonably (we do all love to let it run from time to time), and faithfully change the oil each December before I put it away for the winter. I had no advance warning (strange noises, obvious shavings in the oil last change) that things were breaking down. You know, I was told this week that lots of lower-rev driving around town may actually contribute to an IMS failure due to the added load that it puts on the engine. So, don't think that you aren't likely to see this failure because you have a low mileage car, or you don't beat on the car.

In any case, I just wanted to add myself to the list of IMS failure 'victims'. Those of you out there with a '996 like mine should these warnings very seriously.
Sorry to hear of your situation.. Always keep in mind that a ton of other failure modes have the same symptoms as an IMSB failure, so ensure that you explore the other possibilities before making any decisions or carrying out corrective action.

We have sen a rash of broken IMS tensioner paddles over the last 2 months and that failure mode can often give the exact symptoms as the IMSB failure.

Were you only changing the oil every year? if so this could have greatly contributed to an IMSB failure. No matter the mileage I require our engines to see an oil service every 6 months or 5K miles as experience has taught us a lot. Basically everything.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:03 PM
RoboScout
3rd Gear

I change the oil every year, and drive the car from April to November, so it does equate to about the 6 months/5000 miles guideline.

I hear you about the other symptoms, and until the shop hasn't yet done anything more than a quick diagnosis. They're going to pull the engine some time over the next few days and see what we're up against. They did drain the oil and found metal in there. And, the noise it made was very ominous. My fingers are crossed that the damage caused is not too extensive. We'll see.
Old 11-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

They did drain the oil and found metal in there
Yep. You needed the IMS Guardian.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:59 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Wait a second, you are not an enthusiast and you were unaware of the supposed M96/97 failures yet you regularly cut open your oil filter to check for metal shavings...Very interesting.

These stories(from Newbies) just keep getting better and better. You just can't make this stuff up...on the other hand maybe you can. HMMM
Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 PM
RoboScout
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Wait a second, you are not an enthusiast and you were unaware of the supposed M96/97 failures yet you regularly cut open your oil filter to check for metal shavings...Very interesting.

These stories(from Newbies) just keep getting better and better. You just can't make this stuff up...on the other hand maybe you can. HMMM
Wow, is this guy always this rude to other posters? I came looking to the forum for some added insight into this problem and thought I'd share my story in the hope that someone else like me would realize that this problem could easily happen to them.

For the record, when I change the oil in my car, I have always looked over the cartridge filter when removing it from the container. I always also wipe out the container before putting in the new filter. The presence of shavings there would have been an obvious warning that something was amiss. And, this week when investigating IMS failures, I saw pictures of filter cartridges covered with metal shavings. I wouldn't need to be fully aware of the IMS issues to realize something was wrong.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:30 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow, is this guy always this rude to other posters?

ALWAYS!!!

In my five or six years here I have never said one nice thing to anyone.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default before I put it away for the winter

"before I put it away for the winter"

Isn't that one of the key phrases here ? If I don't drive my car once a week at least i'm paranoid that my seals will dry out and this will start the IMS bearing problem process ! Well, who knows.

Also, Jake - is there data from oil analysis that says 6 months max on mobile 1 no matter the mileage ? I'm on schedule to do about 5K miles per year - drive every week at least (and not short trips at low RPM !) - and will probably add at least 2 new quarts over that period ... oil does not look too black yet - I'm hoping to go one year between changes - esp since Porsche recommends 15K interval and I will be at 1/3 of that in mostly ideal driving conditions (no extreme temps, stop/go, humidity etc.). I plan to do oil analysis at first change and see what they say .......

Quick Reply: Possible Leverage for failed IMS/engine replacement