996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Possible Leverage for failed IMS/engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

And in the 05/06 MY they beefed up the IMSB.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:34 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So it seems the IMS fail rate drops as the year model gets newer due to design improvements? Hows the Porsche recall / class action coming along on the 996?
Old 12-23-2011, 03:55 AM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboScout
Just brought my '01 996 with 54K miles into the shop with an apparent IMS failure. Haven't yet opened things up yet to see the extent of the damage, but it's not looking good. I am (OK was) a guy who enjoyed driving the car immensely but I haven't been one you could classify as an enthusiast. I only heard of this potential issue a few weeks ago when a friend sent me an article on the IMS Guardian. It got me thinking that I should look into installing one over the winter for peace of mind. Guess I am a little late...

We'll see where things go here, but I find it incredibly disappointing (OK infuriating) that such a serious design deficiency in these engines isn't being dealt with properly by Porsche. All my driving life, I always looked to Porsche as a company that really knew how to build an engine...reality check time for me.

When I first read about the IMS issues, I figured that we're talking about high mileage cars, or those that are tracked or driven hard. But, that is not the case. In my situation, I put roughly 5K miles on it each year, drive it reasonably (we do all love to let it run from time to time), and faithfully change the oil each December before I put it away for the winter. I had no advance warning (strange noises, obvious shavings in the oil last change) that things were breaking down. You know, I was told this week that lots of lower-rev driving around town may actually contribute to an IMS failure due to the added load that it puts on the engine. So, don't think that you aren't likely to see this failure because you have a low mileage car, or you don't beat on the car.

In any case, I just wanted to add myself to the list of IMS failure 'victims'. Those of you out there with a '996 like mine should these warnings very seriously.
Robo, how did this all turn out for you???

Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit funny that this guy, along with numerous other similar phantoms, has disapeared after their initial heated intro?

Mark, are you still checking to make sure these types of posts are not infomercials?

Google is a powerful tool and these posts pay large(and cheap) dividends.

Last edited by DreamCarrera; 12-23-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

DreamCarrera:

Wow...good point!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Lexingtonian
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm new -- so forgive me ;-) But this is how I think about this IMS thing:

-996 it looks absolutely gorgeous -- especially the early clean lines
-an early 996 is simple, light, and basic -- the way Porsche should be
-996 is the most affordable modern Porsche you can get
-go and install the IMS retrofit kit and enjoy the car. It is still the cheapest, best looking, and most enjoyable modern Porsche you can get, even if you need to pay for the IMS retrofit .

Don't waste your time worrying. Fix the IMS and you get a perfect Porsche to enjoy. I got my IMS and a new clutch done today!

Merry Christmas to you all!

P.S. I'm sorry if you already broke your engine.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:18 PM
Surfer161
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I would not expect much, if any, help from PCNA on this.

PCNA will replace the engine with a remanufactured engine if and only if it is under CPO. otherwise, you are SOL.

at my local dealer, I was chatting with the head service guy, and he had 2 996 and a boxster awaiting engines. i would think that is alot for a small dealer.

Surfer161
Old 01-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Cylinders cracking? IMS bearing failing? percentages of failures not known? Don't know how it happens?
I wonder could it be down to over enthusiastic driving. People sat in their drive way letting the nieghbours know how loud their engine sounds when they take the revs into the red. Maybe on a cold engine. Or maybe plain and simple bad driving techniques by the usual auto drivers found more in the USA than any other country. In Europe all drivers have to learn stick shift driving before they are allowed on the roads. I wonder what the 996 failure rates are in Europe. I was advised by a Porsche Mecahnic to use Motul oil as against Mobil 1 as Motul was used more in Europe and that they didn't have all these IMS bearing failures over there. Whether there is any truth to his words, God only knows. Does any one know if it happens more with the boxer than the carrera?

Last edited by Hurdigurdiman; 01-04-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by RoboScout
Just brought my '01 996 with 54K miles into the shop with an apparent IMS failure. Haven't yet opened things up yet to see the extent of the damage, but it's not looking good. I am (OK was) a guy who enjoyed driving the car immensely but I haven't been one you could classify as an enthusiast. I only heard of this potential issue a few weeks ago when a friend sent me an article on the IMS Guardian. It got me thinking that I should look into installing one over the winter for peace of mind. Guess I am a little late...

We'll see where things go here, but I find it incredibly disappointing (OK infuriating) that such a serious design deficiency in these engines isn't being dealt with properly by Porsche. All my driving life, I always looked to Porsche as a company that really knew how to build an engine...reality check time for me.

When I first read about the IMS issues, I figured that we're talking about high mileage cars, or those that are tracked or driven hard. But, that is not the case. In my situation, I put roughly 5K miles on it each year, drive it reasonably (we do all love to let it run from time to time), and faithfully change the oil each December before I put it away for the winter. I had no advance warning (strange noises, obvious shavings in the oil last change) that things were breaking down. You know, I was told this week that lots of lower-rev driving around town may actually contribute to an IMS failure due to the added load that it puts on the engine. So, don't think that you aren't likely to see this failure because you have a low mileage car, or you don't beat on the car.

In any case, I just wanted to add myself to the list of IMS failure 'victims'. Those of you out there with a '996 like mine should these warnings very seriously.
Did you actually drive the car into the shop? I thought it was taken for granted that low revving did more damage to a porsche engine than high revving. Nothing below 2500 rpm or drop a peg. Even 3000 rpm is more acceptable than trying to get more miles to the gallon out of a racing engine. Although you don't state if the break down is in actual fact a IMS bearing failure. You state an apparent IMS failure. Let us know when they get in there what the result is.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lexingtonian
I'm new -- so forgive me ;-) But this is how I think about this IMS thing:

-996 it looks absolutely gorgeous -- especially the early clean lines
-an early 996 is simple, light, and basic -- the way Porsche should be
-996 is the most affordable modern Porsche you can get
-go and install the IMS retrofit kit and enjoy the car. It is still the cheapest, best looking, and most enjoyable modern Porsche you can get, even if you need to pay for the IMS retrofit .

Don't waste your time worrying. Fix the IMS and you get a perfect Porsche to enjoy. I got my IMS and a new clutch done today!

Merry Christmas to you all!

P.S. I'm sorry if you already broke your engine.
Well done Lex... Whats your milage? What did the clutch and bearing look like condition wise? before my extended warrenty runs out (3yr/45,000miles) I will more than likely do the retrofit. I have a 99 C2 cab, silver. 53000 miles.. Happy 2012 to all readers.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:59 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is evidence you 996 guys are bigger bitches than the 944 guys Almost as bad as 928 guys! Well done
Old 01-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
Did you actually drive the car into the shop? I thought it was taken for granted that low revving did more damage to a porsche engine than high revving. Nothing below 2500 rpm or drop a peg. Even 3000 rpm is more acceptable than trying to get more miles to the gallon out of a racing engine..
bull****.

2500rpm? This is not a roller bearing 356 motor. Even my ancient 993 can easily cruise along at 1800rpm without an issue. I hardly ever cruise above 2500 rpm unless I'm at highway speeds, and even then its just barely.

Get these old ideas of "lugging" out of your head.

finally, the m96 is not a "racing engine"

Quick Reply: Possible Leverage for failed IMS/engine replacement