Sponsored by:

Porsche remanufactured engine core charge

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 AM
JOL
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche remanufactured engine core charge

I have a cracked engine cylinder liner on my "03 911 4S and I am considering replacing it with a Porsche remanufactured engine. There is an additional core charge of $3,300 should they determine that the returned core is not useable.

Does anyone know what criteria Porsche uses to determine if the core that is sent back to Porsche qualifies as suitable and not charged the core charge?

Specifically as it may apply to a cracked cylinder liner?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 AM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pretty disappointing to read so many failures. You would think porsche knowing how many problems this engine has they would not be bothering you with the type of failure..... that is just nuts. They should have updated the engines for free if you ask me.

I would contact Jake @ http://www.flat6innovations.com/ Do some research on common engine failures for you car, you will see how the cylinders fail and how you can upgrade them You may get away with just replacing the cylinders.

Also look at this http://www.flat6innovations.com/why.htm

Good luck.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

From what I understand, Porsche is fairly liberal with core charges. My race engine failed due to a cylinder failure, and they accepted it.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JOL
I have a cracked engine cylinder liner on my "03 911 4S and I am considering replacing it with a Porsche remanufactured engine. There is an additional core charge of $3,300 should they determine that the returned core is not useable.

Does anyone know what criteria Porsche uses to determine if the core that is sent back to Porsche qualifies as suitable and not charged the core charge?

Specifically as it may apply to a cracked cylinder liner?
+1 on calling jake at Flat6. Since it doesn't sound like you have had catastrophic engine failure, jake could rebuild your motor with lots of new goodies that a factory reman could only hope for.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:05 PM
DaveSpeed
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the cost of the motor?
Old 03-07-2011, 06:57 PM
JOL
Advanced

$14,500 from SunCoast.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

In the past Porsche would take just about any core as they would have to document/admit what was wrong with the engine to reject it and they were loath to disclose the real cause of failures.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

I might be able to get you a better deal on a new engine as well. I have learned a lot about what these new engines need before being applied, based on tearing them down before they are ever fired up.

The cores can be tricky, really tricky and its not always a pleasant experience.

There are options and you need to explore all of them.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:37 PM
JOL
Advanced

The latest information I received from a dealer is that the type of crack I have in the cylinder liner MAY or MAYNOT be accepted by Porsche as a useable core. Essentially it is a crap shot if I would see the core charge returned.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:41 PM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JOL
The latest information I received from a dealer is that the type of crack I have in the cylinder liner MAY or MAYNOT be accepted by Porsche as a useable core. Essentially it is a crap shot if I would see the core charge returned.

I like how they want the core charge paid up front

How many miles does your car have?
Old 03-08-2011, 02:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JOL
Find another dealer. Seriously. There was never ever a question on my engine.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
JOL
Advanced

Unfortunately, it isn't the dealer's decision.

Does anyone have any idea what a 2003 911 C4s is worth w/o a working engine, but everything else is immaculate?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:04 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Lots has changed with cores as of late.. Especially on certain cars/ models. Some people are getting hosed on their core deposits.
Ultimately until the engine gets to Germany and is absolutely accepted no one knows whether the core deposit will be returned.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by JOL
Unfortunately, it isn't the dealer's decision.

Does anyone have any idea what a 2003 911 C4s is worth w/o a working engine, but everything else is immaculate?
Well, you won't like this but my thinking is I'd use one of the web sites to determine the car's wholesale value, then price a remanufactured engine installed from a Porsche dealer and assume the existing engine will not be accepted as a viable core and then subtract these amounts from the wholesale price and make that my offer.

Given the car is located probably a ways from me and is undrivable there's the cost of having it shipped to my house and local Porsche dealer or the trouble of having it delivered to a Porsche dealer in your area and then getting the engine R&R'd and the car back on the road.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

I had no problem whatsoever exchanging an engine with a cylinder wall failure just this past august. No questions asked.

Quick Reply: Porsche remanufactured engine core charge