996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 AM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

looks like its totaled to me. glad to hear you walked away unharmed. I cant say I would ever take my c2 for a high speed drive in the snow even on snows...
Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you are OK. This is why we have insurance. Cars, not even Porsches, really matter when the chips are down.

That document the trucker had reminded me of the "Keep Back 200 feet" signs on some dump trucks. Just simply BS. Nothing against professional truck drivers, who are probably far safer on the road than any of us, but the companies they work for will try anything to avoid liability. Never sign nothing!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by rpm's S2
That document the trucker had reminded me of the "Keep Back 200 feet" signs on some dump trucks. Just simply BS. Nothing against professional truck drivers, who are probably far safer on the road than any of us, but the companies they work for will try anything to avoid liability. Never sign nothing!
Isn't it funny how some people think putting up a sign absolves them from any liability or makes it so the law doesn't apply to them?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:38 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Glad to hear you're ok.
I've driven in chicago and indy winters for many years with RWD cars on snow tires, but I too had one accident in my s2000 a few yrs ago.
In retrospect, the tread depth was not adequate for snow, but the lack of traction control and poor decisioon making didn't help.

Do you have PSM? Were your snow tires new?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:42 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Wow, that sucks. Hope for a speedy recovery for you and the car!

By the way, what kind of tires were you running?
Glad you're ok, and to echo ^, what tires were you running?

That doesn't look like a 12k job, good luck with getting it fixed.

Last edited by TRINITONY; 01-12-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Really sorry for your accident!
That is an awful big truck and it could have been worse and you are right these 996's are tough cars!!
Now I don't feel so bad about keeping mine in hibernation all winter.
Good luck with repairs!
Pete
Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

From the looks of that car the only way it could be "properly fixed would be to replace the front clip, and they will total the car before they do this, which is to your advantage really. With that sort of damage, even if fixed correctly the car will never be the same and the value will be greatly diminished if you ever try to sell it.

So the truck driver tried to get you to sign a card acknowledging your fault, what a scam that is. As a driver you are supposed to keep adequate space between your vehicle and any vehicles in front of it to allow you to avoid any accidents. The trucker failed to do this (although in his defense probably everyone on the road was too close in those conditions). If a driver slams on his brakes in front of you and you run into them it is your fault, not the other guys. In the long run I bet that your insurance company ends up collecting from the trucker's insurance company.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, terrible news.. Glad you escaped with only bruises. Looks like a hell of a hit from the photos... I seriously doubt $12K will cover that repair. I would guess that car is or should be a total loss. Again, glad you walked away safely and be careful out there....
Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 AM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad you are O.K. but you have to admit, not the best series of decision-making....

1. There was 4" of snow already on the ground and you took the Porsche out anyway? (was this your only option for transportation? Could the meeting have been postponed or could you have called into the meeting?).

2. I assume the forecast was for continued snow (looks like it was still snowing at the time of the accident) and you still decided to take the chance?

3. Instead of staying more safely behind the snow plows for a few exits you decide to increase your speed, move into an unplowed lane and (try) to pass them???

Good luck with the outcome....
Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree, FLY.

He was using a part of the road, as was the truck, and as were likely hundreds of others of motorists that came upon those plows. He wasn't passing on the shoulder. It doesn't seem as though there's anything to prove that the accident was related to the plows. That slush would have been there with or without the plows, as they move the snow from left to right. It was a weather related crash, but fault is on the trucker who, by law, was following too closely.

If not for the truck, Larry might have spun in his own lane, coming to a stop sideways or backwards, suffering no damage.

That all said, it sucks to be in the trucker's place.

Don't let the police report or insurance company pin it on you. **** happens. That's why insurance companies exist and they make plenty of money.

Good luck. Glad you're okay.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident... but happy to hear you weren't seriously injured. When I first read your post about a wreck with a semi, I actually expected the photos of the car to look worse. It is a tough little car! Good luck with the repairs.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM
bkjwhipple
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch! glad your ok, but the car is no more.. that is beyond reasonable repair. :-(
buy it back from ins, get another 996, and have a spare everything from the windshield back. :-)
Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 PM
911FM
Racer

Sorry to hear. Glad you are OK.

On a side note: You may want to remove/edit your account of the details of accident until everything has been settled. It could be used by other parties (truck driver, insurance, etc.).

Good luck with repairs.

FM
Old 01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
larry47us
Pro

Guys:

Thanks for the supporting comments. I really feel that I came out of this lucky. Considering the size, weight of the truck, the fact that there was other traffic on the road, and when the truck hit me he spun me around and I didn't get tagged by any other cars on my way back across the traffic. Saying my prayers of thanks.

I am running 17" Pirelli SnoSport 240's. The tires are nearly new. I think that they have one winter season on them. The street was slushy, no standing snow on it. You know how snow/slush builds up between the tracks of tires? I think that the plow was pushing that across the open lane - the one I was trying to drive on.

I waver between wanting them to fix it and wanting them to total it. I know that a repaired car has a significantly reduced value, but I doubt that they are going to pay me anywhere near the $31.5 that I paid for the car. That's the rub. Fix the car, and hope that the shop does the job right, or hope that they total it, and look for something to match the paid claim.

The thing that is going for a repair is that there was no interior damage. The airbags didn't deploy. Otherwise, I would agree that the car is a total. I'll have to wait a few days to see what the adjuster says. It's in his hands, not mine.

I am planning on taking the car to Europa Imports in Winnetka. The owner has worked on Porsches since the mid 70's, and they are a quality shop. They did work on my '73 Targa.

I'll keep you guys posted. In the meantime, wifey didn't want me to buy the car, so she feels totally vindicated now.

larry

Last edited by larry47us; 01-12-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:52 PM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

ouch wifey is gonna a pain from now on...'remember what I told you with the porsche' here and there LOL

Man that will be more painfull than the accident ! might have to total the wife as well

LOL

Quick Reply: I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it