2) Hibernation
alternative 2 words of advice:

1) C4S
2) winter tires

surfer161
Old 01-12-2011 | 11:42 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

This sucks! But remember, what counts is you're ok.
Old 01-13-2011 | 02:22 AM
achtung911
Racer

so was this accident ruled your fault?
Old 01-13-2011 | 07:05 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Originally Posted by achtung911
Let's hope whom ever judges isn't related to the guy making the calls during the U of O vs Auburn game.
Old 01-13-2011 | 07:34 AM
996sweden72
Track Day

Sorry to hear that, but the good thing is that you are OK.

No "PSM", I thought that all facelift 996 2002 and after had that as standard..

I drove my last week in very icey conditions, and I can say, I would have been very unhappy to be without.. engine in the wrong place all all
Old 01-13-2011 | 09:03 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Porsches in Chicago.

2 words of advice.

1) Winter
2) Hibernation

Originally Posted by Surfer161
alternative 2 words of advice:

1) Ford
2) Explorer

Surfer, fixed it for ya!
Old 01-13-2011 | 11:14 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Surfer, fixed it for ya!
Bah! crap happens with any car.... Life is damn short.... drive that 996 year round if you want too. Crash it, get another one. The majority of us are smart enough to insure them.

Years back I drove a 951 year round for 8 or 9 years, through snow, on ski trips...all over! never had an incident. Used to blast around all the SUV's and AWD cars on summer rubber struggling up hills
Old 01-13-2011 | 02:18 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by achtung911
In actuality, there has been no judgment in that regard yet. The trooper on the scene didn't ticket me. He said that the insurance company would have to judge who was at fault. I showed him where the tire of the truck hit me on the left front wheel and the left front fender. I told him that it was obvious from those two marks that the truck hit me. It's a good thing that today's cell phones have such good cameras. That is what I used to take the pictures that I posted. So, I have some clear pictures of the damage to my car.

The trooper said that he'd leave it up to the insurance company. I am still waiting for my insurance company to call me back and take my "statement". Should be today. I'll keep you guys posted.

larry
Old 01-13-2011 | 02:31 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by larry47us
She has been very unsympathetic about anything since. She won't even sit in the car, and at every juncture complains about how much the car is costing. So . . . . she considers this vindication - she was right all along, the Porsche is a problem that will sink me.
Very sorry to hear about your misfortune and glad you're OK.

While there isn't much we (rennlist) can do for the car, I bet I speak for others when I say: the Porsche is not a "problem that will sink you". If anything, it has just helped you grow as a person.

Seriously, sometime things in life can be very tumultuous, but usually our vehicles provide a certain amount of consistency. Don't most of us own Porsches so that "consistent" part can be more enjoyable and rewarding?
Old 01-13-2011 | 02:44 PM
Pac996
Drifting

With the trooper view of fault and the weather conditions I figure its just write it off as caused by ice conditions which isn't anybodys fault. Could of been avoided going slower but eh.
Old 01-13-2011 | 04:37 PM
larry47us
Pro

I just finished my conversation with my insurance company (21st Century), explaining to them the circumstances relating to the accident. I made it clear to the adjuster that the truck hit me, and sent me flying across 4 lanes of traffic. He did comment on the snowy/slippery conditions of the road. I told him that I had pictures that I had taken of my wheel and fender showing that he had struck me, in addition to a picture of the truck showing the bumper and fender damage to the cab.

He said that he would try to talk to the other driver, get a copy of the police report, and then he would make a determination of liability. He said that he should have that resolved by the 24th.

The adjuster is coming to look at my car on Monday. I am now waiting for two decisions - Total or repair? and Who is liable? I think that the fact that the truck hit me, and that it is clearly shown in the photos will help me. Think good thoughts.

larry
Attached Images   
Old 01-13-2011 | 04:45 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by Van
Very sorry to hear about your misfortune and glad you're OK.

Seriously, sometime things in life can be very tumultuous, but usually our vehicles provide a certain amount of consistency. Don't most of us own Porsches so that "consistent" part can be more enjoyable and rewarding?
Van - thanks for the comments. I never considered myself a "car guy." I always enjoyed reading car magazines while I was younger, and enjoyed looking for Porsches during the 60's and 70's. But, I never did more than put air in my tires, oil in the engine, and gas in the tank.

But I always enjoyed driving, and taking long trips in the car. So, I came to really enjoy cars, and thereby my Porsches later in life. I hope to learn more about the car, and do a bit of wrenching on it over the coming years. But you're right. The car is consistent in performance, and provides me with consistent enjoyment. Now I have a 6 week hiatus while it is being repaired.

larry
Old 01-13-2011 | 04:51 PM
MetBlk 911
Instructor

Originally Posted by larry47us

I pulled into the left hand lane, and started to make my approach. As I got even with the plows, my rear tires hit the bunch of slush that they were pushing into the left lane. I felt the tires start to slip, and backed off the gas. The car started to fishtail a bit, and I brought it under control. Then, as I moved forward, I started to fishtail again.

I looked over to my left to see a semi bearing down on me. He hit me on the left front wheel, and spun my car around in the other direction. I got slingshot across four lanes of traffic to come to rest, nearly as if I had parked it, on the right hand shoulder, facing in the right direction, just off the highway.
Hi Lawrence -

Just curious, was the semi that hit you in the opposite lane of oncoming traffic? Was he in your lane, or did your fish-tailing put the nose of your car into his lane?

- Tim
Old 01-13-2011 | 04:57 PM
alpine003
Banned

Glad you're ok first and foremost.

I'm assuming you took out any incriminating material hence the edits on all your posts. I thought I read it slightly different yesterday.

If it makes your feel any better, I saw a guy in a C4s during the morning commute who had summer only Michelins on. This guy definitely had some ***** considering the tires were pretty worn. Maybe the "4s" awd boosted his sense of security?

Hope you get things ironed out with the insurance company. Never dealt with 21st but I've had my fair share of bad run in's with other companies before.
Old 01-13-2011 | 04:59 PM
Pac996
Drifting

His car was at fault not him

Using my imagination if the the police do not cite then there is no fault in law. The insurance guys just determine who pays using who was said to be at fault by police records. I am pretty sure his company pays for his and the truck. Although hehehe with the way insurance companies work a lot of times under the no fault system your company pays for fixing your car and the other guys company pays for fixing his car. Unless your company wants to argue it which is good if your weren't to blame.

I think its just going to be weather to blame and the insurance guys are happy to raise premiums AS USUAL. Hence they don;t care who's to blame anyway since even if you weren;t to blame they can raise your cost of insurance as far as I know.

Quick Reply: I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it