996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011 | 07:39 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FLY996
I'm glad you are O.K. but you have to admit, not the best series of decision-making....

1. There was 4" of snow already on the ground and you took the Porsche out anyway? (was this your only option for transportation? Could the meeting have been postponed or could you have called into the meeting?).

2. I assume the forecast was for continued snow (looks like it was still snowing at the time of the accident) and you still decided to take the chance?
Originally Posted by Ray S
To those that question the decision to take the Porsche out in the snow, I'd say rubbish. Larry had an accident and they do occasionally happen even when piloting an SUV with snow tires down the road.

I've used my C2 as a daily driver through every Chicago winter up until I moved last December. With snow tires the 996 C2 is eminently capable in the snow (yes even fairly deep snow) and served me very well in that capacity.

In addition to utility my C2 was an absolute blast to pilot in the snow. In fact if it did snow, I'd usually find an excuse to get it out on the road rather than keep it in the garage.

Just my $0.02
+1, Ray. The vehicles I have available for me to drive in the winter are listed in my sig. The 996 on snows is my default choice when the weather gets bad. A 996 on winter tires is not a poor choice to drive in winter conditions.
Old 01-12-2011 | 07:43 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Originally Posted by larry47us
Either fortunately or unfortunately, the decision to total the car is not mine, but the insurance company's. I am going to pay the price on so many levels here. BTW, wifey and I decided to get a divorce about 6 months ago. Couldn't help myself, so I bought the Porsche. She has been very unsympathetic about anything since. She won't even sit in the car, and at every juncture complains about how much the car is costing. So . . . . she considers this vindication - she was right all along, the Porsche is a problem that will sink me.

There is likely no way of knowing upfront what the insurance company will offer me for the car until they decide to total it - then they will give me a price. I have negotiated with insurance companies in the past - unfortunately - on a total. They are pretty unmovable (in my experience.) But, I will have to face that one when it comes. Right now, anticipating that they will offer me something in the mid-20's, I am all over getting it fixed, and driving it for the next 3 years or so, till I can afford to sell this one - or trade it in - and get a different 996, or by that time - a 997.
Hmm, I don't know that I'd agree with the statements in bold. I've negotiated several totaled vehicles and the adjusters would definitely like you to believe that it's non-negotiable. You just have to know the right words to say, but the first phrase to remember is "diminished value". When you get to the point of dealing with numbers, let us know--there are plenty of people here that know the ins and outs and can help you.

Once again, glad you're OK...
Old 01-12-2011 | 08:13 PM
wtfpenguin
Instructor

Originally Posted by larry47us
Either fortunately or unfortunately, the decision to total the car is not mine, but the insurance company's. I am going to pay the price on so many levels here. BTW, wifey and I decided to get a divorce about 6 months ago. Couldn't help myself, so I bought the Porsche. She has been very unsympathetic about anything since. She won't even sit in the car, and at every juncture complains about how much the car is costing. So . . . . she considers this vindication - she was right all along, the Porsche is a problem that will sink me.

There is likely no way of knowing upfront what the insurance company will offer me for the car until they decide to total it - then they will give me a price. I have negotiated with insurance companies in the past - unfortunately - on a total. They are pretty unmovable (in my experience.) But, I will have to face that one when it comes. Right now, anticipating that they will offer me something in the mid-20's, I am all over getting it fixed, and driving it for the next 3 years or so, till I can afford to sell this one - or trade it in - and get a different 996, or by that time - a 997.

In the meantime, the ribs are sore, but not too bad. It is mostly my feelings that have been hurt. I learned how to drive in the snow over 40 years ago, and have fought more than one car out of a slide/fishtail/slippery braking over the years. With that, I got a bit too cocky, and thought "hey, I'm a skilled winter driver, I can handle this" NOT. So, learned a big lesson. Right now, the insurance company is saying that they won't get a chance to look at the car and have an estimate on the repairs till beginning of next week. (sigh) won't have any answers till then.

To be honest, I am just glad that I came through this with only sore ribs. This could have been disastrous on so many different levels.

larry
Are you sure you didn't hit your head in the crash? You want to fix this mangled pile of metal? Lets just say the insurance pays to get the car fixed, and 3 months down the road your IMS bearing fails, then what? Are you going to be able to afford to put a new engine in there? No one is going to buy a rolling chassis that's been a wreck this bad.

It is your choice whether or not you settle with the insurance company, they're going to give you an offer and try and put you in a high pressure environment to take their first offer. This is where you get to tell them;

"I appreciate the offer, but to be honest with you I can't seem to find a car in the entire United States that matches the condition and options of my car prior to the accident under $XX,XXX, perhaps you'd have better luck in finding one. For now I have found these 3 cars link, link, link that are comparable to my car prior to the accident with a median price of XX,XXX which I believe would be a fair price to start negotiating from."
Old 01-12-2011 | 08:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
agreed...

have the guy who wrote the 2nd post in this thread speak with her.
LINKY
BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!! Classic!
Old 01-12-2011 | 09:31 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by wtfpenguin
Are you sure you didn't hit your head in the crash? You want to fix this mangled pile of metal? Lets just say the insurance pays to get the car fixed, and 3 months down the road your IMS bearing fails, then what?
You didn't just link Larry's accident to a IMS issue. PULeeeease.
Old 01-12-2011 | 09:37 PM
Carrara
Instructor

It hurts to see this thread. I was just looking at an older thread, and I saw one of your posts, and then read the signature. When I saw you had a Targa, I had to view some of your threads. Sure enough, I found the thread when you picked up your 996. I was like... This car is awesome.

It really hurt when I saw this thread, and even worse when it JUST happened.

Good luck with whatever happens, and I'm glad you're okay.
Old 01-12-2011 | 09:38 PM
318touring
Pro

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
You didn't just link Larry's accident to a IMS issue. PULeeeease.
Everything is related to IMS.
Old 01-12-2011 | 09:50 PM
spender
Pro

Hey Larry - glad to hear you're okay, and don't beat yourself up buddy! These accidents happen, and it's why we carry insurance. It's only a car, I can't believe that you walked from a Porsche vs. semitrailer accident! Again, you were LUCKY - don't forget that! That is the sign of a truly great car, when it "gives its life to save you" - and your car is dead, dude.

Take it from a guy who lives in the frozen Great White North, what other people have said is true. Living in ice-cold tundra-like Calgary (where you keep your snow tires on from October to the end of May), most of the big dramatic accidents you see in the winter involve people in big SUVs that think that 4-wheel-drive means 4-wheel-stop, or that their traction control can overcome the laws of physics and keep them on the road no matter what.

When you buy your next Porsche, just make sure it has awd and PSM! :-)

Chin up!
Old 01-12-2011 | 09:53 PM
MetBlk 911
Instructor

Originally Posted by philooo
ouch wifey is gonna a pain from now on...'remember what I told you with the porsche' here and there LOL

Man that will be more painfull than the accident ! might have to total the wife as well

LOL
LOL. I'm still chuckling.
Old 01-12-2011 | 10:00 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Hey sorry to hear about the weather slamming you a good one. At least you can tell your friends the 911 crash hurts more than the break up with the wife when friends say they feel for you having to go through settlement crap.

I give bad advise sometimes and hindsight isn't much good but.....I've found sometimes its good to keep the rears spinning up instead of letting them catch on and off. Snow and ice are probably the worst conditions to have a problem in. Just an uneven surface of the two can throw you out of control. Maintain constant unaltered throttle input helps maintain things sometimes so......6 of one and half a dozen of the other. We are only along for the ride sometimes.

Had a TIR truck pinch me real tight with no contact on the far left emergency lane of the autobahn one dark early morning with me figuring no way I'm letting off the throttle in the ice. I was driving a guy from Hawaii to Frankfurt and he just sat there not saying anything knowing the situation the truck just threw on us. You let off fast and or hit brakes and kiss the cruise goodbye skimming along on ice. Bitch swerved into me forcing me into the undriven on real bad stuff. Oh well, some have tried and some have died.

Play safe man and let me be the first to say congradulations on the devorse.
Old 01-12-2011 | 10:01 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Larry, do you owe on this car? Do you have gap insurance? May need it.
Nope, paid cash for the car. Still trying to sell my Lexus IS250. Now I'm driving that till the Porsche situation gets resolved.

larry
Old 01-12-2011 | 10:06 PM
B r i a n
Racer

Dude my Dad has an awesome set of tools....

Sorry to hear and see pictures of the damage.
Good thing is no one got hurt.
- best of luck
Old 01-12-2011 | 10:13 PM
larry47us
Pro

Originally Posted by C4CRNA
You probably hydroplaned the front and lost control that way.
How far above 40 were you going?
I was going between 40 and 45 when I started to pass the plows.

larry
Old 01-12-2011 | 10:15 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
agreed...

have the guy who wrote the 2nd post in this thread speak with her.
LINKY
Old 01-12-2011 | 11:20 PM
RAC
Racer

ouch .... I drove my C4 (miss it badly) all winter long. Great car with snows on in the winter.

Quick Reply: I bought it -- I drove it -- I crashed it