Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DIY IMS Upgrade (with clutch/RMS/LWFW and a new slave cylinder)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:33 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must agree with Jake on the LWFW... I watched several motors meet their end this summer while PCA CR... Each had the LWFW... Myself, I did not make the switch... Run as hard as these 2 gentalmen (who lost the motor) at the limit of rev's... my car as of yet is still happy & strong! From my years for racing with AMA, SCCA & now PCA... You either balance everything or don't bother messing with it!
Old 10-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know one person who lunched 3 engines in a 10 month period, all with broken cranks and a LWFW.. He never listened to me.

BTW- I've LOST power and lost tune when going to a LWFW in the past, thats even with an assembly balanced on my CN balancer to .2 oz/in. Its not been just one or two engines either. You have to run a standalone data acquisition system to see why this is, lets just say that harmonics have a way of retarding ignition timing.

The 72mm stroke Boxster cranks are the strongest of all, less overlap and stronger fillets than any other.. Their is a reason why the 3.6 crank has been revised 7 times, run a LWFW on a 3.6 on the track and you might just find it. Many people have, even with balanced assemblies.

Last edited by Jake Raby; 01-11-2015 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:39 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a thread out there as well.. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-complete.html
Old 10-27-2010, 08:25 AM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

The Gain of the LWFW is minor when compared to the Cost of a lost engine!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:37 PM
rodgerdodger
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
I know one person who lunched 3 engines in a 10 month period, all with broken cranks and a LWFW.. He never listened to me.

BTW- I've LOST power and lost tune when going to a LWFW in the past, thats even with an assembly balanced on my CN balancer to .2 oz/in. Its not been just one or two engines either. You have to run a standalone data acquisition system to see why this is, lets just say that harmonics have a way of retarding ignition timing.

The 72mm stroke Boxster cranks are the strongest of all, less overlap and stronger fillets than any other.. Their is a reason why the 3.6 crank has been revised 7 times, run a LWFW on a 3.6 on the track and you might just find it. Many people have, even with balanced assemblies.
I'm having second thoughts not on whether or not to go with the LWFW..... I'ts not that big of an improvement in acceleration overall. Maybe I'll return it and get exhaust instead

Should have some pics soon btw
Old 10-28-2010, 01:55 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

FWIW I se a bigger gain from an under driven crank pulley than most any other bolt on, even a 3K buck exhaust system.

The LWFW doesn't increase HP, it increases throttle response which does increase acceleration.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:47 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

With any performance change you need to tie all the changes together... just swapping out the exhaust will not produce great gains (just big grins!).
The quicker throttle response can be a lost leader! Learn to drive the better, control the rpm range thru the corners and... Bingo Bango your are accelerating faster.
JMTC
Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 PM
rodgerdodger
Advanced

For you guys that have done this... Did you pull all of the spark plugs to rotate the engine to TDC?

Also, do I need any replacement seals/o-rings for draining the oil/spark plugs etc?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 174 Likes on 107 Posts

You don't need to remove the spark plugs to rotate the engine. I removed the serpentine belt and used a socket on the pulley bolt. You will need a new washer for the oil drain plug.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:51 PM
rodgerdodger
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dharn55
You don't need to remove the spark plugs to rotate the engine. I removed the serpentine belt and used a socket on the pulley bolt. You will need a new washer for the oil drain plug.
Thanks!

I'm off to a bit of a rough start. None of my floor jacks will fit under the car. I'm going to borrow a low-profile one tomorrow.

My plan is to use the rear lift points to lift the side of the car enough to get a jack stand under the front lift points then jack up from the rear crossmember to get jackstands under the rear lift points. It's pretty obvious they never designed this to be worked on without a lift
Old 10-28-2010, 09:46 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rodgerdodger
Thanks!

I'm off to a bit of a rough start. None of my floor jacks will fit under the car. I'm going to borrow a low-profile one tomorrow.

My plan is to use the rear lift points to lift the side of the car enough to get a jack stand under the front lift points then jack up from the rear crossmember to get jackstands under the rear lift points. It's pretty obvious they never designed this to be worked on without a lift
I don't recommend trying to put jack stands on the jack points on the car..
Old 10-28-2010, 10:29 PM
rodgerdodger
Advanced

Originally Posted by r1de23
I don't recommend trying to put jack stands on the jack points on the car..
where do you put them on the rear?
Old 10-28-2010, 11:08 PM
cardsrule
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jake brings up some good points that we never thought of and I have the highest respect for Jake and L&N...

Getting the car on jack stands is not fun....
Old 10-29-2010, 12:54 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Its all about thought stimulation.. That usually leads to wise decisions being made.
:-)
Old 10-30-2010, 06:10 PM
rodgerdodger
Advanced

So I've made some progress....

I've got all the bolts out of the bellhousing except this one:

The one on the top really is a bear to get at!!!

Nothing I have fits, I've tried allen wrenches like mentioned above with no luck.

Does anyone know where to get this tool or what it is?

Quick Reply: DIY IMS Upgrade (with clutch/RMS/LWFW and a new slave cylinder)