Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DIY IMS Upgrade (with clutch/RMS/LWFW and a new slave cylinder)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 06:17 PM
rodgerdodger
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eharrison
What is the problem?
I think when I installed the slave cylinder AFTER bolting up the bellhousing I didn't get the pushrod aligned in the slot. So when I pushed the clutch to start the car the helper spring yanked the clutch pedal to the floor. I think the pushrod just went off to the side. I'll know for sure when I get it apart.

I just hope I don't have to bleed it...

Originally Posted by OZ951
Sorry to hear your having an issue that requires another removal of the trans. I'm guessing it won't take nearly as long this time.
Yeah it kind of sucks, but how else do you learn right?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would undo the front brace on the tranny, using the transmission jack I'd lower the transmission to give you some more room to get the slave off. You didn't open they clutch hyd. line at all did you?
Old 11-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The 2002 Clutch slave has a rubber boot on the end that keeps the rod in place. To bleed the clutch is simple.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris996
The 2002 Clutch slave has a rubber boot on the end that keeps the rod in place. To bleed the clutch is simple.
That's what I'm thinking.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:35 AM
rodgerdodger
Advanced

I would undo the front brace on the tranny, using the transmission jack I'd lower the transmission to give you some more room to get the slave off. You didn't open they clutch hyd. line at all did you?
No I was just concerned that the hydraulic piston my have come all the way out. I'll find out tomorrow when I tear into it again.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Don't pull the whole trans off!
Old 11-14-2010, 02:09 AM
rodgerdodger
Advanced

I ended up just taking the transaxle out again. I wanted to make sure no clutch fluid got on to the clutch disk.

Originally Posted by Chris996
The rubber boot on mine wasn't holding the rod in place. I didn't realize this was a problem when I installed it because I hadn't seen one that wasn't broken... I think this what caused my pushrod alignment problem. In this photo you can see that the boot goes all the way to the end of the pushrod. On mine the pushrod wasn't being held in by the boot and didn't go to the end of the pushrod.

This is the way it is supposed to look....

Anyway, with the pushrod out of alignment it got shoved out crooked and the piston wedged in the end of the cylinder. I think I could probably straighten it out with a press, but I think that it could be scored or out of round so I'll probably just replace it.

I think it will be really easy to bleed once I get it all back together again.

Also, getting the transmission out was so much easier the second time, but I just about had a heart attack when I saw all of the hydraulic fluid on the floor under the engine!! I thought it was oil leaking out of the IMS/RMS or something...

Last edited by rodgerdodger; 11-15-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:22 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Well we all learn from each others mistakes/mishaps.

Make sure you follow the proper procedure for bleeding the clutch! Renntech has a good post on it.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

yeah I think my thread warns of how freaking hard it is to put the slave back on the tranny after it is in..i was almost in tears from the pain in my arms and the thought that I may have to pull the tranny back out. The only thing that allowed me to get the slave back on was the adrenoline of my getting sooo pissed off that I could ignore the pain.

Yes being you didnt bitch about it, I know you didnt have it on right. You see, the slave pushrod wants to extend out when not under any load. So you have to use blunt force (both hands) to push the rod back in and then hold it there with one hand while you try to blindly line up the hole and put the bolts in. Well while you are thinking about that, your arm gets tired and next thing you know the rod has slowly pushed out again and now you have to repeat the process. I was seriously almost in tears my forearms hurt so freaking bad and I thought I was going to have to pull the tranny to finish....
Old 11-14-2010, 06:19 PM
rodgerdodger
Advanced

That makes a lot of sense. I can say for certain that it is easier to remove the transaxle a second time than to try to put the slave cyl in with it installed. Hopefully someone will learn from my mistake... I mean I meant to upgrade the slave cylinder all along... haha

Originally Posted by Shark Attack
yeah I think my thread warns of how freaking hard it is to put the slave back on the tranny after it is in..i was almost in tears from the pain in my arms and the thought that I may have to pull the tranny back out. The only thing that allowed me to get the slave back on was the adrenoline of my getting sooo pissed off that I could ignore the pain.

Yes being you didnt bitch about it, I know you didnt have it on right. You see, the slave pushrod wants to extend out when not under any load. So you have to use blunt force (both hands) to push the rod back in and then hold it there with one hand while you try to blindly line up the hole and put the bolts in. Well while you are thinking about that, your arm gets tired and next thing you know the rod has slowly pushed out again and now you have to repeat the process. I was seriously almost in tears my forearms hurt so freaking bad and I thought I was going to have to pull the tranny to finish....
Old 11-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Your doing it right, don't take any chances...
Old 11-15-2010, 05:09 PM
rodgerdodger
Advanced

Well we all learn from each others mistakes/mishaps.

Make sure you follow the proper procedure for bleeding the clutch! Renntech has a good post on it.
I couldn't find this post, does anyone have the link?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 PM
CWhaley
Three Wheelin'

Default Optional Clutch Bleed Procedure!

Here is a word document of the procedure.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
brake clutch bleed.doc (85.0 KB, 79 views)
Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rodgerdodger
I couldn't find this post, does anyone have the link?
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...-instructions/
Old 11-15-2010, 05:16 PM
rodgerdodger
Advanced

Originally Posted by CWhaley
Here is a word document of the procedure.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: DIY IMS Upgrade (with clutch/RMS/LWFW and a new slave cylinder)