Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 07:45 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by James_03C4S
I had the IMSB Solution installed by a local certified Porsche shop a few months ago. I thought that the registration process, as well as shipping the old bearing back, would be part of the process for a certified shop. After not seeing my info show up on the database I just scanned my work order in and registered it myself, albeit longer than the 30 days allowance per your website. I assume that the shop actually sent the bearing back, being a certified shop, but the process can be clarified that the shop sends the bearing in but it is the owners responsibility to put all the information into the website.
When we do an LN IMS update, we always send the bearing back and register on the website. SOP. We are not a certified shop but still follow all the same protocols.
The following users liked this post:
James_03C4S (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 01:38 PM
James_03C4S
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
When we do an LN IMS update, we always send the bearing back and register on the website. SOP. We are not a certified shop but still follow all the same protocols.
That's what I was expecting my certified shop to do: send in the bearing and register my IMSS and vehicle. But after 4 months of checking the LN website to see if my VIN or IMSS# came up I just decided to do the website registration myself to at least get my data in there. Don't know if the potential slowdown is due to my shop or LN reviewing the submitting for publication.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:11 AM
hoofdpijn
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 54 Posts

That's what I was expecting my certified shop to do: send in the bearing and register my IMSS and vehicle. But after 4 months of checking the LN website to see if my VIN or IMSS# came up I just decided to do the website registration myself to at least get my data in there. Don't know if the potential slowdown is due to my shop or LN reviewing the submitting for publication.
It must be different for different shops. I had mine done at a certified shop and they just handed me the paperwork and my old bearing with the box and told me I needed to send it in and register it. It sounds like you kinda got left hanging.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:54 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 572 Posts

The registration process is two step. The online portion must be done first then then the bearing with the registration card must be mailed to LN. When we get the bearing in, then we review the submissions and make the registration entry public. However after 4 months, we should have received the bearing and processed the registration, so I'd go back to the installer for more info.
The following users liked this post:
James_03C4S (10-14-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 03:25 PM
evoroadster
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

I picked up a 2003 996 a month ago with 53K miles. Records show the RMS and IMS were changed at 48K miles back in 2013. The invoice simply states the IMS was replaced with "an updated unit" which cost $650. Any idea what IMS bearing this might be and what should I be looking to do in the future? I am currently addressing some small issues such as bad cats and a malfunctioning oil level sensor otherwise the car runs like a top. Awaiting on oil analysis results.
Old 11-22-2021, 10:28 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evoroadster
I picked up a 2003 996 a month ago with 53K miles. Records show the RMS and IMS were changed at 48K miles back in 2013. The invoice simply states the IMS was replaced with "an updated unit" which cost $650. Any idea what IMS bearing this might be and what should I be looking to do in the future? I am currently addressing some small issues such as bad cats and a malfunctioning oil level sensor otherwise the car runs like a top. Awaiting on oil analysis results.
The only IMS bearing replacement being used regularly at that time would have been the IMS Retrofit, which by virtue of being a 2003, it would have had a classic single row IMS retrofit fitted. You should plan on having that bearing replaced as it is far beyond its recommended service interval.

LN does offer a mail in rebate if you are replacing an IMS Retrofit bearing as part of recommended maintenance. Details are on https://imsrebates.com/
Old 11-24-2021, 12:57 AM
evoroadster
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Well oil analysis results show all measurements below what is average for this engine class. In fact they called it a well maintained engine. Now I can proceed with fixing the few things wrong as well as refreshing the suspension. I will, sometime in the future, replace the current IMSB when I need clutch work.

Last edited by evoroadster; 11-24-2021 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:21 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Received 491 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by evoroadster
Well oil analysis results show all measurements below what is average for this engine class. In fact they called it a well maintained engine. Now I can proceed with fixing the few things wrong as well as refreshing the suspension. I will, sometime in the future, replace the current IMSB when I need clutch work.
Which reminds me... I need to send in my IMSB and register on line.

In the meantime, I'd advise caution when relying SOLELY upon an Oil Analysis to determine if your IMSB needs to be replaced. Prior to purchase, I sent in my oil for analysis and it came back with a clean bill of health (much like yours) which was almost too good. My car is a early 2000 with the stock dual bearing so I figured "We're GOOD!" Fortunately, I already scheduled the IMSB Solution and UAOS work done so I sent her in anyway. Upon inspection, the bearing wasn't BAD, but it wasn't GOOD either as it had quite a bit of play in it... My Indy said it was a good thing I brought it in. Oil analysis are nice, but the results should be considered "with a grain of salt" as far as IMSBs are concerned. Just my experience and $0.02 worth of advice.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:33 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbrob007
In the meantime, I'd advise caution when relying SOLELY upon an Oil Analysis to determine if your IMSB needs to be replaced. Prior to purchase, I sent in my oil for analysis and it came back with a clean bill of health (much like yours) which was almost too good. My car is a early 2000 with the stock dual bearing so I figured "We're GOOD!" Fortunately, I already scheduled the IMSB Solution and UAOS work done so I sent her in anyway. Upon inspection, the bearing wasn't BAD, but it wasn't GOOD either as it had quite a bit of play in it... My Indy said it was a good thing I brought it in. Oil analysis are nice, but the results should be considered "with a grain of salt" as far as IMSBs are concerned. Just my experience and $0.02 worth of advice.
Spot on. Used oil analysis cannot be used as a reliable way to determine IMS bearing health due to particle size. Blackstone picks ups up particles up to 5 microns and SPEEDiagnostix gets you up to 10 micron, but IMS debris is much longer. Plus you won't see any visible debris until the grease seal has failed on the original bearing. Your best best is still to inspect the filter, drop the oil pan, and use a magnetic drain plug as your first indicator of ims bearing health.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:58 AM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 176 Posts

This is from my 2003 C4S, 41,xxx miles. No metal in the oil filter, or in the pan. Sorry about the blurriness. The IMS was pulled earlier this week. It appeared that the seal was leaking a bit around the fitting, but never was enough to leave drips under the car. The IMS itself looks good from a cursory inspection.The seals seem intact and it turns very freely.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:30 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Silver

This is from my 2003 C4S, 41,xxx miles. No metal in the oil filter, or in the pan. Sorry about the blurriness. The IMS was pulled earlier this week. It appeared that the seal was leaking a bit around the fitting, but never was enough to leave drips under the car. The IMS itself looks good from a cursory inspection.The seals seem intact and it turns very freely.
Have you removed the seals to see if there still is grease? When I did my 03 at 31K mi. There was no grease, so the bearing was infiltrated with motor oil. After I washed-out the oil with solvent, the bearing felt a little rough, but no metal shedding. I was definitely at stage 1 of bearing failure.
Old 01-21-2022, 02:18 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Have you removed the seals to see if there still is grease? When I did my 03 at 31K mi. There was no grease, so the bearing was infiltrated with motor oil. After I washed-out the oil with solvent, the bearing felt a little rough, but no metal shedding. I was definitely at stage 1 of bearing failure.
Could you please describe how I remove the seals? I was under the assumption that I needed to send it to LN so can "certify" it.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:46 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Lady Silver
Could you please describe how I remove the seals? I was under the assumption that I needed to send it to LN so can "certify" it.
Take a small flat blade screwdriver and pry off both seals, then wash bearing with solvent or brake cleaner.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:13 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell
Take a small flat blade screwdriver and pry off both seals, then wash bearing with solvent or brake cleaner.
Ok. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:02 PM
Lady Silver
Rennlist Member

Here are some improved shots of my recently removed IMS bearing. To the extent I can perform a non-invasive examination, it appears to be in very good condition. I understand I am required to send the old bearing to LN for their examination, and not disassemble it beforehand. This one appears to have plenty of life left. However, we have installed the LN entry level replacement, not the "solution". So hopefully this will ensure many thousands of worry free miles, at least on that part...

Quick Reply: The IMS discussion thread (Read this first!)