Sponsored by:

People hate 911 drivers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Psycho Sid
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chart505
Try a Ferrari...it was crazy EVERY kid in a mustang/hopped up ricer would pull up next to you then DS and roar off. And dont even mention valets, they ALL expected 20 bucks after the "i'll put it up front for you sir" scam.
I have several high end rides and I never given em more than a few bucks...what do I care if he has to run 3 blocks for it? I put maybe 1000 miles on the Ferrari in a year, then sold it. Tempermental junk next to P car anyways (OK, it was a 328)....but briefly fulfilled a fantasy P cars dont have the poser image that many of the exotics have, the P car driver seems to be viewed more as an enthusiast and person of sport/taste more than the gold chain set IMO. the only exception would be some of the shows I have been to where we do, unfortunately, have the trailer queen "manhattan trophy" set. to each his own...
Hmmmm, a 328...

Maybe not the best example of Ferrari to use... unless you're Magnum P.I.
Valet probably doesn't want to drive that too far without power brakes, windows or steering and if he does I'd be worried, it's got the turning radius of a 747.

No, I dare say any 996 is superior to a 328, any decent riser can beat it and they know it.

I've got a few nice rides too but you won't see me try to upstage Porsche's with a Ferrari on a Porsche blog.

And whats wrong with trailer queens, most of those are like track cars (they're just not made to go on the pot hole filled roads).

I say if you've got the $ whats wrong with having an extra ride that's designed to the extreme specifically for shows?

Sorry for the rant, but uuuuhm well... I just couldn't help myself.
Like you said to each his own.

Sid.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think people hate porsche from seeing the look of others when they look at your car. It's more of an anguish they feel and display with the way they are stuck in a putt putt car. While their brain overloads on the miracle cure wife turned pain in the tail thoughts. When they get flash backs of younger years figuring they'd be driving a nice car. There's also the guys thinking about the broken bones and even skull they got working and they still don't get paid enough to drive the fancy sports car. It's not hating the porsche, it's the hating not having one most see in the faces. Unless of course the guys headed your way with a gun then I'm pretty sure it's a porsche hating cop or car jacker. Not much difference there
Old 07-12-2010, 04:57 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

I mostly get admiring looks when driving the car - and I am sure its the car since I look like Frankenstein with a hangover.

I have had one guy speed up on me when overtaking but the power of the 911 saw him off pretty quickly.

Parking is the real risk. Both on the street and at work. Workplace jealousy is a real problem for me - so its never brought to work and only rarely parked on the street for very brief periods.

My BMW 318iS was my worst car in this regard. Even though it only had a small engine for a BMW it looked stunning so this may have been part of the reason.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Alfaguy2
Racer

Originally Posted by r1de23
The 911 has definitely brought alot of attention to itself in my town. People stare all the time.
They will for a while - when they get used to seeing it around they just ignore it - except those who may not have seen it before.

I drive many unusual cars and people only stare at me if they see me in a Corrolla or some such.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the thread. I just got my first Porsche 2 weeks ago...and like many here - a final realization after lots of hard work to finally own a no compromise sports car.

I actually have been very modest when people compliment the car or give me (ok - the car) a curious stare. I just say thank you and smile. I don't want to flaunt the car...but every time I hear the purr of the engine...that young kid inside smiles very wide.

I haven't had too many stories - but I expect to get all of these at some point in the future...however yesterday this lady in a Honda Accord kept going fast/slow beside me (while I was on Cruise) then eventually took off doing about 85 on the interstate.....to my amusement I passed her about 15 minutes later with state patrol writing her a ticket.

===
2002 911 Turbo w/X50
Old 07-30-2010, 06:14 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Last week somebody banged my bumper in a parking lot damaging the plastic and paint by smashing the plastic onto the corner metal. No note or frick all. Yah I've got an attitude now.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Airrik
Racer

Ah dude that sucks big time! I would be steaming mad. Put a survillance system in your car so you catch the bastard.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Airrik
Racer

Cool

Originally Posted by ohdavey6286
Especially when you see their eyes light up when they see your car.
Airrik I noticed you are in St Pete- We should go to dinner or grab a drink some time.

Hey what's up ohDavey6286? I noticed your in Tampa area, yeah I am in St. Pete Pinellas Park area to be exact.
We should go grab a drink or something and talk about each others cars. I want to meet some people here on Rennlist or other enthusiasts with Porsche's in the Tampa Bay area would be great.
What color is your 996? I might have seen it before when I drive to Tampa in the past....
Old 09-11-2010, 08:15 PM
996 FAN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets face it, when you own a Porsche, get used to looks, good and bad, and folks who want to race you.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:28 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 342 Posts

I've only had my car since June, but have gotten some nice complements. What surprises me the most are the kids who not only love the car, but know what it is. When I pulled into my driveway with the car for the first time, my neighbor's nine year old son came running out. "Is that your nine-eleven?" He's like the kid in the Porsche commercial..."See you in about 20 years". His mother says he like fast cars and fast women. Not sure about the women part, but he knows his cars.

I had another experience like that one yesterday. I was behind a Vette at a stop sign. The Vette takes off and a kid on a bicycle shouts to me "Nice car!" He never said anything to the other driver.

I parked the car at the far end of a parking lot. I guy in a huge pickup truck parks right next to me and I'm thinking to myself "What an F'ing moron!" The guy opens his window and says "Beautiful car, I've always wanted one."

But I've also gotten 4 dings during the ten or fifteen times I briefly parked the car in a parking lot. Not a great ratio. In that respect I miss my Saturn, with its rubber doors and fenders. Of course, the ride was a bit different
Old 09-12-2010, 05:58 AM
Pac996
Drifting

My old 71 428 starfire thunderbird and me were sitting outside a grocery store finishing a cigarette before going in a long time ago in the 80's. I'm sitting there wondering what the repeated over and over again banging is on the passenger side of my car. I look over and some fat lady was just ramming and ramming her door into mine trying to get out of her car. She was so fat it was her door rammed against mine as she leaned into my car barely squeezing here 300-400 pound lard out of her car. Yah there's some real idiots out there and they will never have any concern for anybody elses cars when they are damaging them.

Quick Reply: People hate 911 drivers?