Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Questioning the reliability of the 996 (starting problems) + Fuel Vent System(PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
Good call
Well almost right?.....looks like a lot of us are scratching our heads with you!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:01 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should have elaborated on the sender thing. I don't mean to give elementary advice to a seasoned mechanic, so pardon me if you find this post too simplistic, just take it for what it is or isn't worth:

I noticed you replaced the fuel pump. When you reinstalled the sending unit, did you notice a marking on it? You would have to turn that marking to match a similar marking on the tank itself. I also thought that it was possible that in fact your original error was a faulty or miscalibrated sending unit which was informing the computer that the car was empty when in fact it was not. Since calibration is fairly simple if you have someone nearby who will hook up a pst, i thought it was worth giving you the procedure.

Even fairly seasoned DIYers rarely get too deep into the fuel tanks on these cars, but I'll share some thoughts:

0. Invest in the durametric software, as a DIY guy you will find it invaluable in working on these cars

1. You replaced the fuel pump, but did you measure flow with the new pump and the tank down to 1/4? If it's not giving you enough pressure, it could be the tubes or venturis in the tank itself. It could be the fuel lines (including the return line if Mk1, bosch systems rely on return as well). It could be the filter.
Nominal test values:
Stationary engine 3.8 ± 0.2 bar
Engine idling 3.3 ± 0.2 bar

2. If your fuel gauge/trip computer is reporting incorrectly empty or lower than actual, might be worth replacing and recalibrating the sending unit just to eliminate. Cheap. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1#ht_500wt_751

3. Just to eliminate possibilities in ignition, you should bridge the clutch interlock switch (and inspect that fuse) and the ignition switch should also be inspected and replaced if necessary.

I really, highly recommend visiting the 996 section at renntech.org, downloading some manuals at http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm, and searching renntech's forums. It is a much more technical forum, and you're more likely to see a similar issue there.

Finally with regard to your intuition about a connection to the vent system, take a look at it, I've seen stranger things. The fuel filler neck and gas cap also should be inspected. Look at all the fuses and switches that prevent ignition. I have an MB that wouldn't start at a gas station last month. It was a faulty brake light switch, $8, just coincidental. You never know.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:03 PM
15psi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmarch
Well said.

...On to your problem. I think you're on the right track. An important clue is that your problems occurred at the gas station while filling the tank. Therefore, it might make sense to familiarize yourself with the vapor recovery system. May I suggest purchasing a full set of service manuals (you may be able to find a set for free download on the internet). These are really necessary if you what to maintain the car yourself and will provide you information on how to troubleshoot and test various systems in the car.

On the bright side, these "little" issues provide a chance to get in there in learn about your Porsche.

Good luck!
Joe
I remember a recent post on one of the forums where replacing the breather cap for the gas tank solved similar problem. Couldn't find post but I remember it. (if this didn't happen 2x at gas fillup, I'd say ignition switch.)
Old 06-24-2010, 07:54 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
I should have elaborated on the sender thing. I don't mean to give elementary advice to a seasoned mechanic, so pardon me if you find this post too simplistic, just take it for what it is or isn't worth:

I noticed you replaced the fuel pump. When you reinstalled the sending unit, did you notice a marking on it? You would have to turn that marking to match a similar marking on the tank itself. I also thought that it was possible that in fact your original error was a faulty or miscalibrated sending unit which was informing the computer that the car was empty when in fact it was not. Since calibration is fairly simple if you have someone nearby who will hook up a pst, i thought it was worth giving you the procedure.

Even fairly seasoned DIYers rarely get too deep into the fuel tanks on these cars, but I'll share some thoughts:

0. Invest in the durametric software, as a DIY guy you will find it invaluable in working on these cars

1. You replaced the fuel pump, but did you measure flow with the new pump and the tank down to 1/4? If it's not giving you enough pressure, it could be the tubes or venturis in the tank itself. It could be the fuel lines (including the return line if Mk1, bosch systems rely on return as well). It could be the filter.
Nominal test values:
Stationary engine 3.8 ± 0.2 bar
Engine idling 3.3 ± 0.2 bar

2. If your fuel gauge/trip computer is reporting incorrectly empty or lower than actual, might be worth replacing and recalibrating the sending unit just to eliminate. Cheap. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1#ht_500wt_751

3. Just to eliminate possibilities in ignition, you should bridge the clutch interlock switch (and inspect that fuse) and the ignition switch should also be inspected and replaced if necessary.

I really, highly recommend visiting the 996 section at renntech.org, downloading some manuals at http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm, and searching renntech's forums. It is a much more technical forum, and you're more likely to see a similar issue there.

Finally with regard to your intuition about a connection to the vent system, take a look at it, I've seen stranger things. The fuel filler neck and gas cap also should be inspected. Look at all the fuses and switches that prevent ignition. I have an MB that wouldn't start at a gas station last month. It was a faulty brake light switch, $8, just coincidental. You never know.
1. I think i will invest in a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure.

2. I did notice the marker on the fuel level sender, I lined it up during install. The fuel filter has been replaced, the relay as well.

3. Also, I have jumped the clutch interlock switch already.

That online manual is only partial, not even close to being complete.
BTW: It is not a good time opening the fuel tank. Do you have a diagram of the fuel vent system?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:58 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Well almost right?.....looks like a lot of us are scratching our heads with you!
I called the dealer and asked them about the recall. Apparently it does not apply to my car so I'm good to go.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:57 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
I called the dealer and asked them about the recall. Apparently it does not apply to my car so I'm good to go.
Now that is good to hear.

Just throwing a shot in the dark (imagine that ) but could this be a fuel pump issue? If there is any debris clogged it could mimic the same symptom. I had that issue in my RS America. Change the fuel pump and voila!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by LVDell
Now that is good to hear.

Just throwing a shot in the dark (imagine that ) but could this be a fuel pump issue? If there is any debris clogged it could mimic the same symptom. I had that issue in my RS America. Change the fuel pump and voila!
"A shot in the dark", what does that mean? When i replaced the fuel pump a month or so ago there was not much sediment in the bottom of the tank and the small filter element on the old pump was barely covered. I doubt the new pump is clogged.

Have any experience with the vent system for the fuel tank?

I just thought of something else that may help solve the issue. My last time at the fuel pump when it broke down. I filled it up until the pump nozzle clicked and stopped flow, (like usual) i tried to top it off and the fuel squirted out at me a little bit. That usually never happens. Any ideas?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Good call on the pump since you check the filter element and any debris in the tank. If it isn't burned out you can reverse the pump to clear out any debris but since it is new and the tank is clean we can almost certainly rule that out. It does sound more and more like a venting issue, doesn't it? I have absolutely zero experience with that. However, the collective here has got to have somebody that has been in the vent system.

Guys???
Old 06-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hope this helps.

link to RennTech

1 - EVAP canister purge valve
2 - EVAP canister
3 - Purge air
4 - Tank
5 - Pressure sensor
6 - Shutoff valve
7 - Operating purge valve
8 - To intake manifold
9 -Vacuum control valve
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2010, 10:52 PM
RPMulli
Banned

i need a shop manual so i can get tolerances/voltages/etc for specific sensors and valves...

Last edited by RPMulli; 06-24-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:53 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Also, the breather port located behind my fuel door sucks in some serious air. any idea where that air goes? back to the evap canister? or fuel tank.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:14 AM
philooo
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
If it isn't burned out you can reverse the pump to clear out any debris
How do you go to revert the fuel pump ? I mean I wonder how that work..where does the gas go ?

I am struggling with a fuel thing myself and I suspect the computer would shut down the fuel pump in case there is too much 'negative pressure'/suction, in order to prevent any damage to the fuel pump. So the question is what is releasing the pressure in the tank, is that the "1 - EVAP canister purge valve" ? If yes I wonder where is is located ?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

It just goes back into the tank
Old 06-25-2010, 08:45 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by philooo
How do you go to revert the fuel pump ? I mean I wonder how that work..where does the gas go ?

I am struggling with a fuel thing myself and I suspect the computer would shut down the fuel pump in case there is too much 'negative pressure'/suction, in order to prevent any damage to the fuel pump. So the question is what is releasing the pressure in the tank, is that the "1 - EVAP canister purge valve" ? If yes I wonder where is is located ?
the #1 is probably a check valve that goes to the intake manifold..
Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

Doesn't 996's have a problem with the fuel venting properly? I remember reading threads on the pump stopping before the tank is full...

Quick Reply: Questioning the reliability of the 996 (starting problems) + Fuel Vent System(PICS)