Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Questioning the reliability of the 996 (starting problems) + Fuel Vent System(PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:09 AM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This isn't good during the heat of summer with all those hot women needing you out there to day dream about and make cats calls to.....uh I really said that didn't I? Anyway good luck getting on the road.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

haha, I dont have much of an update. As of right now i am scared to go to gas stations. I've been using red gas cans in my garage for now with no issues so far.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 AM
RPMulli
Banned

I ran a bottle of fuel system cleaner through my car as well. No changes.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Might be time to contact one of these places....

http://www.pcarshops.com/porscheshops/nebraska/

Let us know what it is when you find it...Good Luck!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:43 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

MAF sensors do strange things. I agree with Phil that you should buy a new one and plug it in. You should be able to drive without the MAF. It will idle and run terribly under 3-4000 (which is why I would replace yours) but act normally at WOT. I've run an entire race weekend with a unhooked MAF without any consequences.....
Old 07-19-2010, 06:30 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Might be time to contact one of these places....

http://www.pcarshops.com/porscheshops/nebraska/

Let us know what it is when you find it...Good Luck!
I'll pretend i didnt see that.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:31 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Does anything think my EVOMS v-flow CAI has anything to do with it? or my ECU upgrade?
Old 07-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
I'll pretend i didnt see that.
I guess you are perfectly fine with filling your car in the darkness of your garage with 5 gallon gas cans because you are embarrassed to fill it in public..not sayin' just sayin'
Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I guess you are perfectly fine with filling your car in the darkness of your garage with 5 gallon gas cans because you are embarrassed to fill it in public..not sayin' just sayin'
it is quite peaceful filling the car in the garage...
Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check the tank vent valve operation, it is a two wire valve on the intake manifold that has a vent line to the neck area. If it is sticking at times it could possibly flood the car from the vent fumes while filling the car thus not allowing it to start, possibly an intermittent problem. It will cause the noise you are explaining as well.
It's possible when you fill the tank with the 5 gallon cans in the garage they don't pressurize like at the gas pumps enough to cause the problem. Make sense ? Sound like your problem ?

Other thoughts and things to check ..... The MAF as JR stated can cause weird problems, depending on miles on the car it might just be not so bad to just replace it so it doesn't cause any problems in the near future. Another would be to double check things from work recently done. - You mentioned doing an IMS I believe, how is the positon sensor ? Any chance it got moved or a wire pinched somewhere ?

Just a few thoughts, take them for what they cost you, and let us know what solves the issue.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:51 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I would check the tank vent valve operation, it is a two wire valve on the intake manifold that has a vent line to the neck area. If it is sticking at times it could possibly flood the car from the vent fumes while filling the car thus not allowing it to start, possibly an intermittent problem. It will cause the noise you are explaining as well.
It's possible when you fill the tank with the 5 gallon cans in the garage they don't pressurize like at the gas pumps enough to cause the problem. Make sense ? Sound like your problem ?

Other thoughts and things to check ..... The MAF as JR stated can cause weird problems, depending on miles on the car it might just be not so bad to just replace it so it doesn't cause any problems in the near future. Another would be to double check things from work recently done. - You mentioned doing an IMS I believe, how is the positon sensor ? Any chance it got moved or a wire pinched somewhere ?

Just a few thoughts, take them for what they cost you, and let us know what solves the issue.
are you talking about this vent valve?
Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
are you talking about this vent valve?
Yep
Old 07-20-2010, 08:20 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Can anyone by chance get the voltages leading to the valve while the engine is running? I'd like to compare..
Old 07-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 467 Posts

Like I posted before there should be a small screen on the inlet side of that evap valve...it could be clogged. Remove the screen (most audi techs do) and try it out. I think that valve is the culprite, its common for those to go bad in audis. It would give intermittent starts with my big turbo B5.

Replace that valve first....then if all else fails replace the MAF.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_A4-...ission/ES6114/
Old 07-20-2010, 04:53 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by fty
Like I posted before there should be a small screen on the inlet side of that evap valve...it could be clogged. Remove the screen (most audi techs do) and try it out. I think that valve is the culprite, its common for those to go bad in audis.
the unit is sealed shut....

Quick Reply: Questioning the reliability of the 996 (starting problems) + Fuel Vent System(PICS)