Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Questioning the reliability of the 996 (starting problems) + Fuel Vent System(PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:20 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think you fixed the problem the first time. I think an issue surfaced, you replaced a bunch of stuff using the method that if you start replacing things, eventually the faulty item will be addressed and the car will be fixed. This method seldom works on something as complex as a Porsche or any modern car full of electronics.

You need diagnostic equipment and a service flow chart to check the various systems that contribute to whether a car will start and continue to run. I do this stuff for a living.

Good Luck
Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by thirteeneast
+1

There are some photos on here at the end of one of the threads regarding ignition s/w

When the ignition antenna ring on my 5 series BMW failed it caused all sorts of weird and wonderful problems.
I've read many threads on the switch and it seems to cause the car to act funny in various ways when it starts to go bad.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:24 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by nick49
I don't think you fixed the problem the first time. I think an issue surfaced, you replaced a bunch of stuff using the method that if you start replacing things, eventually the faulty item will be addressed and the car will be fixed. This method seldom works on something as complex as a Porsche or any modern car full of electronics.

You need diagnostic equipment and a service flow chart to check the various systems that contribute to whether a car will start and continue to run. I do this stuff for a living.

Good Luck
I 100% agree that i need the diagnostic equipment. Do you have this "service flow chart" that you speak of?
Old 06-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Hardback
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

ride 23, read the recent ignition switch post. not sure if thats your problem but if your key doesnt turn easily or is stuck in the ignition this is an easy DIY fix. 9$ part yada yad yada
Old 06-23-2010, 05:00 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
I 100% agree that i need the diagnostic equipment. Do you have this "service flow chart" that you speak of?
I wish I did, I've love to help. Maybe someone here has a service manual and can help.

I think the Boxsters and 996s are very reliable overall. We've had a boxster about 8 years and a 996 nearly 7 and only one time did the Boxster not start when the battey was on it's last legs and she called me for a jump. Other than that the reliability has been great.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hope you can sort out your no start issue. If your Porsche is throwing a CEL, then by all means share your fault codes to enable a fix. I understand your frustration and hope it can be shortly remedied.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:16 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Yeah, no CEL light at all. I'm going to use an OBD2 reader from a friend to see if it will show anything. I doubt it, those OBD2's are so generic. I'll post an update after i figure it out.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What surprises me that you have no codes thrown. You've fixed a lot of the things I would have suspected..fuel pump being #1.

Usually MAF would throw a code (i believe), but a bad MAF would give you those results. Maybe a quick clean? Maybe the connector is loose?

Ignition module? Doesn't the 996 have 6 ignition modules..one on each plug? If so, I would suspect if 1 went bad, you would start, but get rough idle. So that doesn't sound likely.

Does it even sound like it's trying to catch, or it's just a constant crank?

If it's catches a bit...then I'd check your air intake tract (post MAF) to see if there is a vacuum leak somewhere. I had a Supra where the intercooler cracked...drove me nuts to find the problem.

Fuel injectors? Possible, but again, I would be surprised if all of them died. One of then would give you a really horrible idle, and would definitely trigger a code.

Fuel pump again? Maybe...did you ever stare at the voltage meter when started? Is it below 14.4V? I remote chance, but if you're spiking a lot (aka bad alternator), you could potentially fry the fuel pump (amongst other things).

One more thing....how below 1/4 was it? Was the fuel pump completely submerged? I have read that low fuel too often can cause fuel pump failure (aka being submerged in fuel cools the pump), but I have never personally experienced it yet.

Dunno man...this is all I can think of off the top of my head .
Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 PM
RPMulli
Banned

UPDATE: The car started after sitting for 4 hours. I had a feeling that would happen. The engine ran perfectly fine after. I have an idea now. Somehow, when my fuel tank gets low (below a 1/4) and i fill the tank it dies. That is why i've been dying at gas stations. I need to figure out the systems that could prevent the the fuel from reaching the engine. Maybe the cold gas introduced into a hot tank somehow creates some sort of vapor lock or something related. I have no clue. any ideas?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:36 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Just ran OBD2 codes:

P0650 - MIL Control Circuit Malfunction
P0410 - Secondary Air Injection system Malfunction
P1411 - Manufacturer Controller Aux. Emission Controls

Any thoughts?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 PM
RPMulli
Banned

I dont know how long those codes have been in the system, i cleared them and i will re-flash the ECU tomorrow. The last two codes dont seem related to my starting issue. Im not sure about the P0650.

That first code sounds like a malfunction for my CEL indicator, am i wrong?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:55 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Wait... is your cel bulb on when you turn the key in the acc position..... you mention you dont see a cel light, but yet have error codes that the cel light should be on. Your bulb blown? That may explain the PO650 code....

Is the 2ndary Pump turning on?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear about your troubles but since nobody has asked, I will.....

Did you get a thorough PPI on this car that you have only have a couple months???

Have you taken to an indy or the dealer to have the problem identified or are you just throwing money and parts at it hoping it will fix itself??? You could save yourself a lot of grief, frustration, and $$$.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

I suggest you also try Renntech.org as well to broaden your audience. Loren provides excellent help there.

If your CEL bulb was burnt or not functioning, that may be good news since all those codes (if they come back) will help you zoom in the culprits.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:35 PM
RPMulli
Banned

haha, well that explains why my CEL light was not on, the bulb was blown. Fixed. It actually never occurred to me that the CEL never came on when i turned the ignition on.

Quick Reply: Questioning the reliability of the 996 (starting problems) + Fuel Vent System(PICS)