Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Questioning the reliability of the 996 (starting problems) + Fuel Vent System(PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Because you didn't answer my first questions. A full PPI and taking it to an Indy would have either identified the problem or excluded the problem.

Personally, if I just bought a car and a couple months later I was having problems I would talk to the selling dealer or the place that did the PPI and see how it was missed.

You seem to have a disdain for shops. Why?

As far as shooting in the dark and questioning the reliability on these cars you did........
replaced the fuel pump, relay and fuel filter, cleaned the MAF, Throttle body, reset the ECU, changed the oil, replaced the spark plugs, cleaned air filter, replaced fuel pump, replaced my IMS bearing, flushed tranny fluid, replaced carbon control valve.

You tell me, but from what I can tell, that is throwing everything at a problem and hoping something sticks.

Are the shops in your area that incompetent that they could have no looked at your call and diagnosed this problem?
BTW: The only thing i did that i thought would fix the problem without knowing for sure was the fuel pump. Everything else on that list is what i do regardless for tune-up purposes..
Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

sure, we'll go with that.

I really hope you find the source of the problem.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 AM
RPMulli
Banned

Bingo. That's the point I was after with the OP.

We'd all love to see him get his issue resolved but it starts with taking the correct approach.
What is the purpose of this forum? Is it a place where you all can sit here and talk about your dealership experiences? I thought it would be a group of DIYers and owners that want to learn about cars that help each other to fix problems..... apparently i was wrong.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:14 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Last post from me since you still don't get my asking........

You aren't wrong, you are exactly right what this forum is. But by asking you the questions I did we can get a better understanding of what is going on with your car. I never said it was about our dealer experience.

You are still missing the point of my questions. Have a meeting to get into so I have to run.

I sure hope it isn't pride getting in the way or your disdain for asking the help of indy or dealer that is going to keep you from fixing this.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Ride23....I wouldn't be that harsh....I have gotten so much DIY info off RL that it has saved me a wheel burrow of cash. These are fairly sophisticated cars to diagnose issues at times. The only way to it is to have the proper equipment in order to get zero'd in. I don't have the durametric, only a OBDII, but I can go to indy or a P-car dealer to get things diagnosed. Than I decide if I want to tackle it or not. What others are trying to say (I think) is just that. This route will cost $$ just for them to look at it but you save big when you know what the issue is and than DIY instead trying to assume things by thinking it is this or not and start replacing things that were good.

Also I seem to remember the 996 had a recall regarding the gas tank sometime ago. Might want to check into that too.

Hope this helps. If not.....good luck
Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
What is the purpose of this forum? Is it a place where you all can sit here and talk about your dealership experiences? I thought it would be a group of DIYers and owners that want to learn about cars that help each other to fix problems..... apparently i was wrong.
You weren't wrong. There are a lot of DIYers on the forum, and you will find a lot of help. We also will discuss dealership experiences if we have them, good or bad.

Dell is a good guy, and very knowledgeable. He just asked some questions, in order to help you better. You didn't answer.

Did you get a PPI? If so, you can go back to that guy and he should help you diagnose the problem properly. If not, then just say you didn't and we can go from there.

You sound like a hands on guy. You need a durametric to diagnose problems, a dealer or indy will have them until you get your own. Without a proper diagnosis, you are shooting in the dark. It I were shooting in the dark, I would start by replacing the least expensive suspect (ignition switch) and work my way up. You can get the part at a VW or Audi dealer for less than at a Porsche dealer. Part # 4A0 905 849B. There is a recent thread with DIY instructions.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:30 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

+1 on durametric... its a Porsche specific tool that you need if you are a DIY type person. It will also help you learn about your car since you are new to it.....

The other codes you have sounds like a failing cat..... I had the same code for about 6 months and eventually turned into cat specific cels.... then I replaced my cats and all was good again.

The gas pump relay sounds like a good lead..... let us know how you make out.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

David summed it up nicely for me. Thanks David

Listen, if you don't want to answer the questions then that's your call. I was merely trying to understand what the situation is. By not answering and you obvious disappointment with the car right now my take was somebody that was thick headed when it came to the need to have a thorough PPI and to proud to ask an indy or dealer for help.

Sure, we're here to help. But when you start throwing darts a a board through trial and error it just doesn't make sense when you say you are saving money.

Anyway, let's start over........

There are plenty of guys here that WANT to help you out. Me for one will do whatever I can to help out as I was helped out tremendously in my early days of ownership. With that said, I have never been too proud to let somebody else fix a problem for me. I have a vast amount of knowledge working on these cars but also know when I am spinning my wheels.

So, as we understand more about your car, the history, and what you are able to diagnose, we can go from there. Right now, everybody is just guessing since it seems you are holding something close to the chest. Understand, this is nothing more than one big support group. Introduce yourself, admit your an addict to the brand, be honest, and ask for help if you can't do it.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:45 PM
EastBay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r1de23
I'd guess about 30% are DIY and knowledgeable

the rest are well........ I guess you have noticed
Old 06-24-2010, 01:05 PM
RPMulli
Banned

David summed it up nicely for me. Thanks David

Listen, if you don't want to answer the questions then that's your call. I was merely trying to understand what the situation is. By not answering and you obvious disappointment with the car right now my take was somebody that was thick headed when it came to the need to have a thorough PPI and to proud to ask an indy or dealer for help.

Sure, we're here to help. But when you start throwing darts a a board through trial and error it just doesn't make sense when you say you are saving money.

Anyway, let's start over........

There are plenty of guys here that WANT to help you out. Me for one will do whatever I can to help out as I was helped out tremendously in my early days of ownership. With that said, I have never been too proud to let somebody else fix a problem for me. I have a vast amount of knowledge working on these cars but also know when I am spinning my wheels.

So, as we understand more about your car, the history, and what you are able to diagnose, we can go from there. Right now, everybody is just guessing since it seems you are holding something close to the chest. Understand, this is nothing more than one big support group. Introduce yourself, admit your an addict to the brand, be honest, and ask for help if you can't do it.
Let's start over for sure... I think we just ran into some misunderstanding with each other for a moment and ended up getting off topic.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:14 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Now, Let me post an update along with some history. Honestly, I was trying to avoid the nagging about bringing it to get a PPI prior to buying (which i see all the time on this forum). I did my own thorough inspection.

As for the car's history. There is none, records were lost between dealers of course. I only have some word of mouth from dealerships and previous owners. So, I saw a opportunity and took it. As you all know I'm all about getting my hands dirty. The first thing major fix I've done to the car was the IMS retrofit. While steadily tuning up the car, I can right off the bat I can eliminate possible culprits to the problem. (the listing at the beginning of the post)

Today, the car started right up. No CEL at all. Runs great. Except i noticed that howling noise that occurred months ago has re-emerged. It is coming from the vent behind the gas door. (see picture)

Weeks ago, I followed the vent down to the carbon control valve. I figured the valve had failed and i replaced it. Now, it has come back. I am beginning to think that there is a link between the vent system and fuel system that has lead to my car break-downs at gas stations.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:17 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by redridge
+1 on durametric... its a Porsche specific tool that you need if you are a DIY type person. It will also help you learn about your car since you are new to it.....

The other codes you have sounds like a failing cat..... I had the same code for about 6 months and eventually turned into cat specific cels.... then I replaced my cats and all was good again.

The gas pump relay sounds like a good lead..... let us know how you make out.
i replaced the fuel pump relay.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:17 PM
RPMulli
Banned

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Ride23....I wouldn't be that harsh....I have gotten so much DIY info off RL that it has saved me a wheel burrow of cash. These are fairly sophisticated cars to diagnose issues at times. The only way to it is to have the proper equipment in order to get zero'd in. I don't have the durametric, only a OBDII, but I can go to indy or a P-car dealer to get things diagnosed. Than I decide if I want to tackle it or not. What others are trying to say (I think) is just that. This route will cost $$ just for them to look at it but you save big when you know what the issue is and than DIY instead trying to assume things by thinking it is this or not and start replacing things that were good.

Also I seem to remember the 996 had a recall regarding the gas tank sometime ago. Might want to check into that too.

Hope this helps. If not.....good luck

Recall Date:
APR 10, 2000

Model Affected:
2000 PORSCHE 911

Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. INCORRECT PROGRAMMING OF THE ELECTRONIC LOGIC UNIT CAN CAUSE AN INCORRECT FUEL LEVEL.

Consequence:
THE VEHICLE COULD RUN OUT OF FUEL CAUSING A LOSS OF POWER.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL UPDATE THE SOFTWARE IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER SO THAT THE FUEL LEVEL AND THE RANGE OF REMAINING FUEL ARE DETERMINED AND DISPLAYED CORRECTLY.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
PORSCHE CARS N.A. INC.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2000/...#ixzz0rmvsQjuA

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2000/...#ixzz0rmue8HS3

Look what i found, good call.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:22 PM
RPMulli
Banned

The only thing is i never ran out of fuel.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EastBay
I'd guess about 30% are DIY and knowledgeable

the rest are well........ I guess you have noticed
Well said.

To the OP, please continue to ask questions. Many of us here have real mechanical knowledge and support this forum as a way of educating ourselves about these wonderful cars. I, too, do not subscribe to the simply "drop the car off at the mechanic and let them figure it out" school.

On to your problem. I think you're on the right track. An important clue is that your problems occurred at the gas station while filling the tank. Therefore, it might make sense to familiarize yourself with the vapor recovery system. May I suggest purchasing a full set of service manuals (you may be able to find a set for free download on the internet). These are really necessary if you what to maintain the car yourself and will provide you information on how to troubleshoot and test various systems in the car.

On the bright side, these "little" issues provide a chance to get in there in learn about your Porsche.

Good luck!
Joe

Last edited by JM993; 06-24-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Questioning the reliability of the 996 (starting problems) + Fuel Vent System(PICS)