996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Detoxx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had a cone take my passenger radiator out as well. Cracked the lower neck on the radiator. How is it the turbo radiator is twice as much the regular?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:41 AM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by oldporman
Well I just had a cone take out the right front radiator (slapped hose, broke bib). Also broke the Front Right Wheel-Housing Liner. Really shocked that a cone could do that.
Originally Posted by Detoxx
Just had a cone take my passenger radiator out as well. Cracked the lower neck on the radiator. How is it the turbo radiator is twice as much the regular?
Wow. I've never heard of an autocross cone causing any damage other than cracking a lip or lightly buffing the paint. Did you guys hit the cone head on? At my first autox of the season, I coned 5 out of 6 runs but all of the cones were at my wheels since I was probably trying to get too close.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Detoxx
Racer

It appears that there's a small area under the front end near the wheel well where the lower radiator neck is only protected by the plastic that is part of the fender liner, see image with red circle. When the radiator is new the plastic components have a bit of flex, however with time and quite a bit of heat cycling the plastic loses that flexibility and becomes hard and brittle. Since its only protected by plastic any impact to that area (cone, curb, etc) can easily cause the neck to snap at the junction it attaches to the lower radiator plastic end. Upon talking to a few people at the HPDE they've seen this a few times before. It seems that this is a weakness with the water cooled cars. Since this is a very small area, 3x6 inches, it's more of a chance event but it can happen. One of my buddies at work is fabbing up protection plates to attach to the frame the radiator mounts to. I'll have to drill and tap that frame to mount it but it should help with that chance event. Hopefully I'll have all the parts this week and can put my car back together next weekend. I will say this, removing the radiator is a bit of a chore compare to every other car I've worked on.
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Viper6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I joined the club

1st Porsche... #0652 with 8k, bone stock in new condition with annual maintenances at dealer. I am loving this thing. I have a slight stumble/flat spot at 3k but hope the TB and MAF cleaning fix it (will know tomorrow). This thing is a beast above 4k! I am loving it so far...

Not sure about IMS... used to driving Lexus so kinda worried about reliability of this potential "ticking time bomb" in my engine... shame on Porsche I think. Maybe defender would be a good idea...
Old 05-13-2012, 12:26 AM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same "stumble" but I think that it is the vario-cam switching to "Jason Statham" from "rowan atkinson".

In other words... you have left the EPA approved zone.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:55 PM
Auto-X-er
Intermediate

Originally Posted by balefire
Wow. I've never heard of an autocross cone causing any damage other than cracking a lip or lightly buffing the paint. Did you guys hit the cone head on? At my first autox of the season, I coned 5 out of 6 runs but all of the cones were at my wheels since I was probably trying to get too close.
Well my dad's was on video

The cone came in the middle and across the car. Obviously a possibility. The hose is quite low and exposed.

Originally Posted by Detoxx
It appears that there's a small area under the front end near the wheel well where the lower radiator neck is only protected by the plastic that is part of the fender liner, see image with red circle. When the radiator is new the plastic components have a bit of flex, however with time and quite a bit of heat cycling the plastic loses that flexibility and becomes hard and brittle. Since its only protected by plastic any impact to that area (cone, curb, etc) can easily cause the neck to snap at the junction it attaches to the lower radiator plastic end. Upon talking to a few people at the HPDE they've seen this a few times before. It seems that this is a weakness with the water cooled cars. Since this is a very small area, 3x6 inches, it's more of a chance event but it can happen. One of my buddies at work is fabbing up protection plates to attach to the frame the radiator mounts to. I'll have to drill and tap that frame to mount it but it should help with that chance event. Hopefully I'll have all the parts this week and can put my car back together next weekend. I will say this, removing the radiator is a bit of a chore compare to every other car I've worked on.

He also went down the path of adding something stronger in front of the radiator hose. Used 1" right angle thin aluminum stock close to the hose. Not much room in there to work. Did you also get your wheel wells damaged. I think his were damaged some from the previous owner, but the cone finished off a few cracks.

I believe the issue is just specific to the cars using the turbo front end and radiator. The radiator hose is actually sitting lower.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Rachel232
6th Gear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great car - I have # 1083 purchased last June. 12,000 miles on it - everything mint - looks brand new. In fact, one of my friends who does not know about Porsches asked "Is it a 2009?".

I wonder who has #1 (Porsche museum?)

Other good serial numbers to have would be 996 and 911.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Detoxx
Racer

Fortunately nothing got damaged other than the radiator. Basically my buddy is making is an aluminum plate that will only cover the radiator neck and hose and that will fit underneath the wheel wells. I'll be mounting it to the frame the radiator attaches to. I haven't seen non-turbo radiators on a normal 911 but hopefully they don't have the same issue

Originally Posted by Auto-X-er
Well my dad's was on video on video

The cone came in the middle and across the car. Obviously a possibility. The hose is quite low and exposed.

He also went down the path of adding something stronger in front of the radiator hose. Used 1" right angle thin aluminum stock close to the hose. Not much room in there to work. Did you also get your wheel wells damaged. I think his were damaged some from the previous owner, but the cone finished off a few cracks.

I believe the issue is just specific to the cars using the turbo front end and radiator. The radiator hose is actually sitting lower.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Viper6
Racer

Originally Posted by Litesonic
I have the same "stumble" but I think that it is the vario-cam switching to "Jason Statham" from "rowan atkinson".

In other words... you have left the EPA approved zone.
TB cleaning and MAF cleaning did the job... for 30 minutes of effort I highly recommend you try it... smooth power up instead of stumble...

You'll need special security torx bits to get to the MAF sensor, FYI
Old 05-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Originally Posted by Viper6
TB cleaning and MAF cleaning did the job... for 30 minutes of effort I highly recommend you try it... smooth power up instead of stumble...

You'll need special security torx bits to get to the MAF sensor, FYI
Yes, that was my favorite maintenance thing so far as well.
Made improvements in my idle as well as cold start.

I still get that little "bump" but that just tells me something is going on... which is good feedback to have.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Joecrow
1st Gear

I'm enjoying mine too much to post a pic.
#143 RHD UK.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 PM
p.vanderlinden
Racer

Originally Posted by Viper6
I have a slight stumble/flat spot at 3k but hope the TB and MAF cleaning fix it (will know tomorrow). This thing is a beast above 4k! I am loving it so far...
Funny, I have that too, although I wouldnt call it a stumble, but more of a slight surge and only at light throttle. Seems to occur at 3000-3100RPM. I too think it is the Variocam plus system and could be exclusive to the X51 engine package.

Had a great drive last week to Monterey for the Historic Races and Pebble Beach. Much of the drive was at 100MPH+ with burst up to 150+ in Central California. Radar detector was invaluable and car was rock solid.

Cheers,
Paul

EDIT: I have #1339

Last edited by p.vanderlinden; 02-07-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:10 PM
yoda888
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The front bumper lip on our 40th AE cars. Is this same part number I should be looking up from a C4S or Turbo 996?

Does anyone have the p/n for it and know the best/cheapest place to get an OEM one? The bottom of mine is a bit scraped up by the previous owner.

Thx!
Old 08-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Litesonic
Pro

mine too... and then me... Maybe that's why they don't even bother painting them.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:35 PM
MiamiC70
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yoda, I believe you can use a turbo or a C4S as they are the same the shape of the spoiler is slightly different but I believe they are interchangable. I was looking at a more aggressive turbo one on here:

http://www.fvd.de/

Quick Reply: 996 40th Anniversary Edition Registry & FAQ