Sponsored by:

question on scary hardtop installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 05:19 PM
sdmooney
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on scary hardtop installation

I have a 2000 (996) convertible, and a few months ago bought a hardtop for it off ebay. The hardtop has screw mounts. So I use it, and I like it, but it does rattle a bit, but not so much that it bugs me. I always thought I might be installing it wrong, because the screws would screw in for a while then just drop in place loosely.

Anyway, had a bit of a scare this morning, when driving on the freeway the top popped up and out in back 5-6 inches. Basically the back screws popped out. I was going about 95 mph at the time and I was in traffic and the only thing holding it on was the clip above my head. heh. I pulled over and put it back in place. anyway, obviously something is wrong, but I'm not sure what it is. Is the bottom brackets different depending on whether you have a screw or twist installation?

Thanks as usual for the help everyone.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:38 PM
peavynation
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who's the manufacturer? Is it an OEM hard top from Porsche, or an aftermarket? If aftermarket, might not have the correct screw thread or even location.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:47 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by sdmooney
I was going about 95 mph at the time and I was in traffic
Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 PM
sdmooney
AutoX

I didn't realize there are aftermarket tops. I think it is a porsche original. The mounting brackets look exactly like the pictures.

Heh, I should amend my original post to say that I was not driving recklessly ... it was a california interstate freeway -- speed of traffic was quite high -- and I was passing someone in the left lane and didn't realize how fast I was going at the time until it popped in back ... kind of a scary demonstration of bernoulli's principle.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:04 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

was the special tool for tightening the top included with the hardtop when you purchased it?
Old 01-11-2010, 06:08 PM
sdmooney
AutoX

No, there was no special tool. Hmm, How does it work? After screwing down a bit, the screws fall into place easily.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

There are two styles of fasteners for the tops. The early ones were a twist in. The later ones actually screwed in. You can update early tops/cars to the later screw type, which are said to be more secure and have less rattles. There is a TSB on this.

If you car did not come with a hardtop then it might not have the hardware in the car itself, just the caps covering the holes. If this is the case it would explain how the top was loose at the back.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:26 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Look and you will see an allen socket in the middle of the mechanism - drop an allen wrench in there and turn it ~ 1/4 turn until it locks and seats in place. When done properly, it will drop down into place securely - be sure to do both sides!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:26 PM
sdmooney
AutoX

There are fasteners under the caps. I suspect it is a twist off style, I will read up on updating the car. Maybe the issue is as simple as that.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:10 AM
goliver
Three Wheelin'

Yikes that coulda been BAD!
Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Mine is the early type (2000CAB) and the top has the "spikes" on it that insert into the car and then seem to "screw" in a few inches and "look" like it's totally installed. You still have to take the special tool and LOCK it into place. There should be a green dot and a red dot that shows it it is locked into place. When you use the tool there will be some pretty good resistance and then a very audible "pop" when it locks into place. I can run out to the garage and take a pic of what it looks like if you want. Give me a few minutes and I'll post back.

**updated with pics**
One of the lock showing the green and red dots. There is also a white dot that lines up with the two. Lines up with green when locked and red when not. Picture is blury since my camera blows up close.

Other pic is of the tool.
Attached Images   
Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

LVDell
Beat me to it. that is the same mechanism and tool that I use for my 01 hardtop install. Perhaps the OP purchased a hardtop that has the newer mechanism that requires updating of the locking mounts? I recall checking the price of having the newer mechanism that is supposed to reduce rattling...it was over $500 so I declined the opportunity.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:44 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

There are 2 types of receivers:

It sounds like you are trying to mount the new style hardtop pins (A) in the old style receiver (D). That would explain why the screw goes in a bit and then just drops down. Further if your car is a 2000, and you did not change out the receiver, that pretty much confirms it.

You are very lucky, that your top did not catch air and rip itself off.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The top is not compatible with your car--at present. Essentially, you never mounted it correctly. Correctly is with the screw-type fasteners torqued to 34 lb fts. You just popped it into place but never had it secured. Go get the right hardware and install it in the receiver areas of the cab.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by goliver
Yikes that coulda been BAD!
had one fly off a vett once, No its not pretty It sure does wake up the people behind you!

Quick Reply: question on scary hardtop installation