Sponsored by:

Booster seat (bottom only)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:09 AM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default Booster seat (bottom only)

I've done a bit of searching but haven't found a good answer. Here's my situation:

My little guy is 4 1/2 and I've got him in a Recaro Vivo Lite booster seat. I've removed the bottom cushion in the rear seat behind the passenger. The Recaro actually goes back a decent amount into the seat. My son loves the Porsche, so he's always leaning his head up trying to see what's going on, so his head is just a couple of inches from the hard plastic seat back and that worries my wife (see picture below where he's goofing off trying to bite his toes).

We are trying to look for just a booster seat base that fits nicely in that area. This way his back and head are even further back in the seat. We just tried a Graco (don't know the model), but it hardly even fits in the seat (at least compared to the Recaro).

Any suggestions on a bottom only booster seat solution?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2008, 09:31 AM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually just made my own out of some 2" thick styrofoam and vinyl seat material from a fabric store. I wasn't satisfied with the fit of the ones I could find off the shelf. I removed the normal seat bottom and then used a small piece of styrofoamas filler where the back portion of the saat dips down. Then I made a template out of cardboard to get the right shape of the area and put 2 more pieces in giving a total of 4" in the front and 6" in the back. A bit of shaving and contouring as well as a final layer of foam on top, covered the whole thing with the vinyl, and now I have a custom booster that puts my daughter at the right height for the seat belt to work. I'll get pics later if you want. Total cost was about $10.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:34 AM
uberskier
Pro

Very interesting. Because the only reason really for the booster seat is so that the seat belt goes across the child at the correct height, so it doesn't have to be a store bought one.

Only problem according to the US NHTSA is that -
All booster seats are required by law to comply with the same safety standards as child safety seats.
Your booster seat must have a label stating that it meets Federal motor vehicle safety standards.

Now granted, I don't expect to get pulled over and have someone look for a tag. I can't see what needs to be so special about the seat other than maybe it being flame retardant.

Last edited by uberskier; 05-25-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-25-2008, 10:23 AM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both of my older boys in the back without the seat backs from the boosters. It's made for Fisher Price by Britax, called the Voyage...it's a perfect fit as well. I'll find out the name and post back here. Also has a small loop for the shoulder belt to stay in position (which I don't use...my kids are 7 and 5 (a big 5).

Here is a link below...I paid 60 bucks each, maybe a bit more. Here, they are 29 bucks each...a total steal...seat got great reviews too, but for what you need, this should be great. It's adjustable too. I think you can control how much he/she leans forward if you pull the belt all the way out and let it rachet itself back into a locking position.

http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/drool...ster-seat.aspx

J
Old 05-25-2008, 09:14 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric...just got your pm....you can remove the rear/back portion of the car's seats as well, which will give your kid more room. Here's the link.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/286602-trying-to-install-baby-seat-in-my-02-c4s-need-help.html

Does that help??

J
Old 05-25-2008, 10:15 PM
uberskier
Pro

Jon,
Thanks for you help. I've already removed the seat bottom. I'll take a look at removing the back.
Thanks,
Eric
Old 05-26-2008, 05:36 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had also removed the seat bottom, but put it back; it does not save you
any space,
plus the little one will have more cushioning on a already stiff sport's suspension.

As for seat boosts, the laws here in Canada state the child must be 40Lbs or over.
Anything less, and you need a child's seat with a 4 point harness.

John
Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 PM
remedy451
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
I had also removed the seat bottom, but put it back; it does not save you any space, plus the little one will have more cushioning on a already stiff sport's suspension.

As for seat boosts, the laws here in Canada state the child must be 40Lbs or over. Anything less, and you need a child's seat with a 4 point harness.

John
I'm in Calgary and have a 2002 C4S. Any suggestions for a booster seat that fits? My guy is 46lbs and about 46" in height. The booster seat I have does not fit because it has built in cup holders that make the base wider - so it does not lay flat on the seat cushion.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:04 AM
911FM
Racer

Check out Dakota Combi Booster. (babycatalog.com or amazon). Fits perfectly my car. great for my 6 year old. They have it in grey and yellow...

FM

Last edited by 911FM; 01-15-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:47 AM
yasuro
Pro

Originally Posted by remedy451
I'm in Calgary and have a 2002 C4S. Any suggestions for a booster seat that fits? My guy is 46lbs and about 46" in height. The booster seat I have does not fit because it has built in cup holders that make the base wider - so it does not lay flat on the seat cushion.

Thanks.
if i recall correctly, someone on the list sawed off the cup holders on his. this was probably a couple of years ago.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 911FM
Check out Dakota Combi Booster. (babycatalog.com or amazon). Fits perfectly my car. great for my 6 year old. They have it in grey and yellow...

FM
+1

Quick Reply: Booster seat (bottom only)