Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

i cant believe it happened to me!!! UPDATE!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Tough break on your Porsche Mike, hopefully something other than a IMS failure is the issue. Keep us in the loop, no doubt you are frustrated...fingers crossed.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
kevjandon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just when I come to terms with buying a 996 someone posts another story like this. Sorry to hear about this.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
At least if your car gets totaled, the insurance pays for another one! Better than a $13k bill !
Good point. How about if some doofus like me wrecks it at the track?
Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
kevjandon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after reading this thread I emailed a guy whos car I was considering. We've been going back and forth for a couple of days. I simply say I'm no longer interested in a 996. Here is his reply, I thought you all would enjoy:

"No problem. Just to let u know, I had the same concern and had the RMS replaced by Porsche with the 2nd generation factory seal which prevents this failure from ever happening. "
Old 01-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you hear noise: STOP!

The engine may still be salvageable but it also may not be.. If an engine is shut down immediately we can almost always save them with an IMSR procedure and a thorough cleaning of the oiling system.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Check with Sunset Porsche and Suncoast Porsche. The 3.6 engines were less than $9,000 + core last time I checked.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by kevjandon
So after reading this thread I emailed a guy whos car I was considering. We've been going back and forth for a couple of days. I simply say I'm no longer interested in a 996. Here is his reply, I thought you all would enjoy:

"No problem. Just to let u know, I had the same concern and had the RMS replaced by Porsche with the 2nd generation factory seal which prevents this failure from ever happening. "
Well Kev,
I still jumped. I am just making the IMS part of normal maintence schedule. Right now with being able to pick them up all over the place for under 20K they are a bargain for the bang for the buck. (saw a no reserve ebay unit in NY with 88K on the clock go the other day for 14K and change) If you go in with that attitute I think you will be OK. Also their is a place that makes a ceramic bearing install kit. I am going to do mine every 60K and it will be the first thing done to the car before its even driven.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Pac996
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A huge puddle? A rod going through the case or oil system failure is what I'd think. Throwing a rods rattle is been there done that. Oil system failure should of had a high temp or oil warning showing. Pistons ceasing is beyond cuss words. Never been there, at least on the ceasing part.

Best day dream would be the O2 sensors and mass air flow got loose causing engine failure then the tow truck busted the oil pan or slammed the ehaust into the pump breaking it. Then the tow truck takes the hit for the new engine in the wildest of dreams.

We all feel for yah man. Best of luck during the diagnosis.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:21 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

here is a break down of what happened exactly:
driving in town at speed limit, then i heard a loud rattle from the back ( sounded like a bunch of small metal pieces rattling inside a can), by the time i lowered the music to listen more, the car just died
no cell... after i pulled over, i looked outside the car and everything looked normal, although the rpm gauge was stuck in 3k rpm !! so i started the car again, and it was running with a loud rattle and no cell still. turned it off and towed it home. few hours later, all the oil of the engine was under the car!!
i hope the engine can be saved, dont feel like shedding $15K especially now..
will keep u guys posted, meanwhile if anyone has any input on fitting a 3.8 engine instead, please advice, their prices are lower
Old 01-05-2010, 08:45 PM
joelpirela
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so, the collection is going to be making the repair? $13k with labor?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:05 PM
C4CRNA
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So if you have done your services with the dealer, I would expect them to go to bat for you and get a discounted replacement.
Please keep us updated
Old 01-05-2010, 09:20 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike_99l
I remember someone back talking about a 3.8 x50 engine for 8K, can anyone elaborate? which engine is it and if it will fit?
Mike that was me. Porsche had a sale mid December on certain reman motors without a core charge. Your memory is correct, the 3.8 X51 was $8,200 as was your standard 3.6. Unfortunately that was mid December and they sold out of many motors within a few days. At $13k, they're charging you around $11k for the motor. I would use the the info from the sale to try and get them to lower the reman price. Tell them you want the motor for $8,200. Good luck...
Old 01-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by H964
here is a break down of what happened exactly:
driving in town at speed limit, then i heard a loud rattle from the back ( sounded like a bunch of small metal pieces rattling inside a can), by the time i lowered the music to listen more, the car just died
no cell... after i pulled over, i looked outside the car and everything looked normal, although the rpm gauge was stuck in 3k rpm !! so i started the car again, and it was running with a loud rattle and no cell still. turned it off and towed it home. few hours later, all the oil of the engine was under the car!!
i hope the engine can be saved, dont feel like shedding $15K especially now..
will keep u guys posted, meanwhile if anyone has any input on fitting a 3.8 engine instead, please advice, their prices are lower
Classic. The rattling in a can sound is the #1 sound that we hear over and over again. This is the symptom that we tell everyone to react to immediately and do not start the engine back up until it has been evaluated. The CEL means nothing, 90% of these failures occur with no CEL illumination.
Sorry this happened to you, of course some people say this failure doesn't occur-
Old 01-06-2010, 12:11 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Classic. The rattling in a can sound is the #1 sound that we hear over and over again. This is the symptom that we tell everyone to react to immediately and do not start the engine back up until it has been evaluated. The CEL means nothing, 90% of these failures occur with no CEL illumination.
Sorry this happened to you, of course some people say this failure doesn't occur-
how much would it be for the "best-case" scenario? if OP shutted off engine promptly and never try to start it again?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:19 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow! back when i had my 03 996 c4s, this was almost unheard of, RMS yes, IMS no.
I put 64k on my car and it did have that rattle the last 20k miles or so, dealer always said it was nothing. I almost kept that car too, up until today I always regretted getting rid of it. If i did still have a dog in the 996na fight I would do that bearing trick pronto. Are there any indy machine shops working on these motors yet? That might be the cheapest alternative, an extended winter diy project.
GL either way, I can only imagine your disappointment.
c

Quick Reply: i cant believe it happened to me!!! UPDATE!!