Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I hate my car stereo, and I did something about it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:03 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I hate my car stereo, and I did something about it!

That said, I only want to change out the head unit for now, keeping the stock speakers and amp. The CDR-220 HAS to be the weakest link in the chain. In other words, I can spend a few hundred, but that's IT!

Has anyone stuck an Alpine head unit into the existing system? I have to think it would improve the sound to the point where it doesn't sound like an AM radio from 1962, yet be a direct plug in replacement (with the right wiring harness from Crutchfield) right??

Last edited by AndyK; 09-03-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:26 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it can be done. Search the web for some of the Pioneer Avic install threads.

This weekend, I relocated my AC controls so I can fit a Pioneer double DIN unit in there, next month.

BTW, I'm selling an Alpine head unit IVA-W505, NIB from crutchfield (still in crutchfield box and ready to go) for $500, plus shipping. Add $250 if u want the Navi module. PM me if ur interested.

Aaron
Old 08-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 996 'stereo' sounds terrific: has 6 cylinders and the volume is controlled by a pedal under the right foot
Old 08-24-2009, 05:39 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

I also needed to upgrade my stock stereo, but I took the opposite path that you're taking: I kept the Becker 220 and replaced all stock speakers, replaced the factory amp and added a pair of subwoofers. While the head unit upgrade would have given me better CD quality, I use Becker's iPod adapter and it sounds fantastic. The factory speakers and amp really suck, but they may prove to be worthwhile in your coupe (but not in my cab). Good luck w/ your project!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:44 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I really don't have a project, yet. I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck improvement. Replacing the head unit, or, getting new speakers, etc. I do NOT want a large amp stealing trunk space, or sub woofers.

Like I mentioned, my budget is really non-existant. If I can get a middle of the road Alpine single DIN unit for under $300, I'd be happy. As long as that would make the crap speakers and amp sound $300 better.

Know what I mean?
Old 08-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Replacing my head unit definitely improved the sound but not all that significantly.
I reused the factory Bose speakers/amp/Sub woofer
Old 08-24-2009, 05:58 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Replacing my head unit definitely improved the sound but not all that significantly.
I reused the factory Bose speakers/amp/Sub woofer
As in, it wasn't worth the effort? My sound is so lame, I can't believe they sold a $70k car with a system like this! Yeah, the engine makes it's own music, but sometimes I want to hear musicians and not pistons and exhaust making the music!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Andy, get you a higher-end Kenwood or Alpine and talk to a reputable installer who knows the harnesses you need.

It is plug and play.

They are the same as VW.

I had a Kenwood and the sound was phenomenal over stock, even with factory amp/speakers.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:23 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tippy
Andy, get you a higher-end Kenwood or Alpine and talk to a reputable installer who knows the harnesses you need.

It is plug and play.

They are the same as VW.

I had a Kenwood and the sound was phenomenal over stock, even with factory amp/speakers.
Nice! An improvement using existing stock stuff. Now, "high end" means what, $$ wise? Examples?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
Nice! An improvement using existing stock stuff. Now, "high end" means what, $$ wise? Examples?
I got my ~$400 Kenwood for like $140 on E-bay brand-new.

The key is getting a nice EQ (which usually requires >$300) to tune out the bad frequencies and enhance the ones you need like Bass.

The factory amp is top notch (IMO) in the car and the magnets are huge for a tiny speaker.

But, Im not claiming it wouldnt sound better with aftermarket speakers.

When I first turned mine on, it blew me away the sound quality, and I hadn't tuned it yet.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain, but cannot bring myself to dig into the dash . . . Will have to live on Fabspeeds and +4000 RPM.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went exactly the way SKIRACER went with the new amp and speakers and kept the Becker and went with the iPod adapter. I am very happy with the iPod performance. Don't know the science behind this but am guessing the iPod becomes the head unit and goes through the Becker but gets the sound quality from the Alpine Amp. As far as taking up trunk space I put mine under the passenger's seat in the well. iPod tip: My installer says disable the EQ on the iPod as it is designed to improve sound into ear buds--hinders replay on a large stereo.
Went with Co-Ax front and rear and woofers in the door panel (as they plug into the extra channel on the alpine amp that would make them subs). Hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Dharn55
Drifting

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

AndyK - You are going at this the exact opposite way you should (as others have said). The weakest link in the system is the speakers, then the amp, last of all is the head unit. You could put the world's best head unit in the car and it will still sound like crap with the stock speakers, nothing will make them sound good.

I put Focal 100KP component speakers in the dash, Focal slimline 100 coaxes in the rear, and Focal 5WS (no longer available, use the 13KS) in the doors, and a JL Audio 6 channel amp in my car, still running the stock head unit and the stock CD player. I will hold it up to any system using the stock speakers and will beat it hands down.

Last edited by Dharn55; 08-24-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:31 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dharn55
I put Focal 100KP component speakers in the dash, Focal slimline 100 coaxes in the rear, and Focal 5WS (no longer available, use the 13KS) in the doors, and a JL Audio 6 channel amp in my car...
Like I mentioned, my budget is really non-existant.
Sounds like a plan, then.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

As in, it wasn't worth the effort? My sound is so lame, I can't believe they sold a $70k car with a system like this! Yeah, the engine makes it's own music, but sometimes I want to hear musicians and not pistons and exhaust making the music!
Frankly, I found the Bose adequate for my needs, I accomplished what I wanted by adding Nav, XM Sat, good iPOD interface and Bluetooth.

Quick Reply: I hate my car stereo, and I did something about it!