Sponsored by:

question about window regulator and switches

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 06:35 PM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
How far does the window drop when its first opened, if its less then 1/8-1/4 inch its time for a new regulator
Searched, read, researched and I just want confirmation....

1999 C2 Cab.

My passenger side front window makes no nasty noises and works correctly in every way except...

...when opening the door from the outside or inside handle the window drops maybe an 1/8 of an inch, certainly not the proper amount. I can shut the door but the window clearly by sight and by sound hits the roof.

I can push the window down while it is open (using little force) to where it should go, and then shut the door and it will of course miss the roof since the window is lowered the proper amount, and the window does pinch shut as it should.

So it's only not dropping down enough, all else is fine...so question is...is this the regulator like this post suggests? My research seems to indicate it may be that the regulator is the problem, however, it is just that the cables have stretched and a spacer can be inserted to take up the slack and this fixes it without replacing any expensive parts, just requires removing door panel.

Am I cooking with oil here guys?

Last edited by rolex11; 06-18-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:40 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

If you have already done the limit reset on the window - lower window then press the window switch and hold for 10 seconds, then raise the window and do the same thing, and the problem is still there then it is the window regulator. If you're going through the hassle of removing the door panel, do yourself a favor and replace the window regulator with new OE. No amount of trickery with the cables or a spacer will work and you will be back in there again within 3 months.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rolex11
Searched, read, researched and I just want confirmation....

1999 C2 Cab.

My passenger side front window makes no nasty noises and works correctly in every way except...

...when opening the door from the outside or inside handle the window drops maybe an 1/8 of an inch, certainly not the proper amount. I can shut the door but the window clearly by sight and by sound hits the roof.

I can push the window down while it is open (using little force) to where it should go, and then shut the door and it will of course miss the roof since the window is lowered the proper amount, and the window does pinch shut as it should.

So it's only not dropping down enough, all else is fine...so question is...is this the regulator like this post suggests? My research seems to indicate it may be that the regulator is the problem, however, it is just that the cables have stretched and a spacer can be inserted to take up the slack and this fixes it without replacing any expensive parts, just requires removing door panel.

Am I cooking with oil here guys?
From the behavior you describe and based on my experience the window ragulator is shot. A spacer is not the solution.

The only real fix is to open the door and replace the window regulator.

When my Boxster windows started failing to drop the full 1/2" when the door was opened the tech diagnosed the window regulator. Upon removing the old regulator it just came apart. It was simply worn out. Might add that one was replaced, the passenger side despite the fact the passenger side door gets used less than the driver's side door, then shortly thereafter the driver's side started manifesting the same behavior and was replaced.

The window regulator is not that expensive of a part and its labor to replace not that much. (There are some DIY write ups on this process but the job wants to be done right.)

I have to add as gently as I can that if the cost of a window regulator is an issue with you I think as you continue to drive the car you are going to be in for a big surprise as other much more expensive items wear out.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:00 AM
rolex11
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
I have to add as gently as I can that if the cost of a window regulator is an issue with you I think as you continue to drive the car you are going to be in for a big surprise as other much more expensive items wear out.
You're saying it's expensive to maintain these car? Hummmm....who knew! Note to self.

Thanks for the opinions....
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I have to say, the rear window stopped going up one day in my 996 cab. Rather than spring $700-$850 for a new regulator, I sent mine in to Power Window Regulator in Phoenix, AZ for a rebuild. They will rebuild for around $200, claim to use their own metal replacement parts, and warranty their work. Yes, it was a huge pain to get the regulator out, but compared to $2000 dealer cost, or $1500 Indy, my $270 (inlcudes shipping) will hopefully be way better
Old 06-20-2017, 10:09 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

roch auto sells the window regulators for as low as $130.

Ive replaced mine twice now. The Porsche OE unit that I paid close to $500 for didnt even last a year.

rocking the rock auto one now.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:44 PM
SpawnyWhippet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same issue as the OP. If I lifted the door handle, the window lowered 1/4 inch, but as soon as I released the handle, it raised up again. When closing the door, I noticed that the window would drop as soon as the latch touched the striker plate, so I could see that the latch was not engaging the microswitch fully while the door was open.
I simply loosened the triple square bolts on the door lock and adjusted it so that it was activating the microswitch while the door was open. I lubricated the mechanism, tightened it back up and now the window works perfectly, the window stays slightly dropped as the door is open, then closes when it is shut.
Took maybe 5 mins from starting to analyze the problem to a finished repair.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

So I just finally fixed my rear window regulator and want to plug http://powerwindowrepair.com/ (no affiliation). Rather than pay $800 for a new regular on my 996, they rebuilt mine with better parts than even the original and sent it back to me. I paid about $250 including shipping and did the job myself. Compared to $1500-$2000 dealer cost, I'm way ahead.

I did have a wrinkle, though. They rebuilt the regulator and the motor, but for my car, the electronics module failed. When the regulator I got back didn't work, the tech there (Paul, who owns a 996) explained that he doesn't have the ability to test the electronics, and that those have only failed once in his experience, and does probably 3 Porsche rebuilds per week. So Paul was very helpful in testing and diagnosing the issue on the car, etc. He ended up sending me another replacement motor/electronics that fixed the issue. The replacement cost money, but I'm still way ahead of the new part from Porsche.

So anyway, I would recommend folks that want or can DIY these, I would use them again in the future.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:19 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
roch auto sells the window regulators for as low as $130.

Ive replaced mine twice now. The Porsche OE unit that I paid close to $500 for didnt even last a year.

rocking the rock auto one now.
ugh. looks like I am doing this for a 3rd time.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:10 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

ugh. looks like I am doing this for a 3rd time.
Read the thread. Again.

Not convinced it will be my regulator. I will have to double check but I don't think I can push the window down at all. Basically the thing isn't recognising that the door is closing and bringing the window down and up.

Plunger Micro switch?
Old 08-16-2017, 01:12 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Read the thread. Again.

Not convinced it will be my regulator. I will have to double check but I don't think I can push the window down at all. Basically the thing isn't recognising that the door is closing and bringing the window down and up.

Plunger Micro switch?
Is your symptom like this? When you pull the internal or external door handle, the window will drop ~1/2" like normal but it will roll back up as soon as you release the handle when the door remains open?
Old 08-16-2017, 01:56 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Nm
Old 08-16-2017, 02:02 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Is your symptom like this? When you pull the internal or external door handle, the window will drop ~1/2" like normal but it will roll back up as soon as you release the handle when the door remains open?
I'll look more closely when I get home. Is that indications the plunger micro switch needs to be replaced or regulator?
Old 08-16-2017, 05:46 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I'll look more closely when I get home. Is that indications the plunger micro switch needs to be replaced or regulator?
If that's your symptom, it's the external microswitch on the door lock Need to remove the door lock to replace the switch or the mechanical half of the lock. There is a recent lock rebuild thread on RL. Let me see if I can find it.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/999467-door-locking-mechanism-rebuild.html

Quick Reply: question about window regulator and switches