Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Sharkys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its back to the drawing board. While the Porsche Jr seat provides an extra 1.5" shoulder room, my daughters ears are being squished by the head foam protection. Its going back to the dealership. I'll try the Recaro Pro Booster next.

Can someone tell me if the baser of the narrowest part of the Vivo seat base 11" wide this is the part the extended into the seat well. The Porsche Jr is 11.5" and the Britax Parkway is 12". The total width of the base for all three seats is 15".

The reason why the Porsche seat fits perfectly is because the booster seat base extends 3" down into the seat well. The Vivo extends about 1" and the Britax Parkway extends .25" and thus the perimeter of the seat is the only contact point - the Parkway is pretty much flat. And that is why some use folded towels or foam underneath the Parkway to keep the seat steady when empty. But when there is a child in the Parkway, I would assume perimeter contact is sufficient for a base?

Last edited by Sharkys; 03-13-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:50 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Not sure if it's been brought up, but I have a bubble bum. Very neat IMO.

-td
Old 03-21-2013, 04:27 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Success! The little man came home from the hospital in the 911, and wife was fine in the front seat. Only a 5 block trip, but still, a success.

So, a hearty endorsement for the Cybex Aton as a good infant seat for the 996.
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2013, 04:55 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdavis
Success! The little man came home from the hospital in the 911, and wife was fine in the front seat. Only a 5 block trip, but still, a success.

Nice and Congrats! You're P-car fund or mod fund will only get smaller from here on out. Have any better pics of the seat?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:19 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Great to know and congratulations!

I have about 4 months to go and I'll be doing the same thing.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:40 PM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

congratulations!
thx for the info - I just bought the same seat !
Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpine003
Nice and Congrats! You're P-car fund or mod fund will only get smaller from here on out. Have any better pics of the seat?
I have a couple pictures on the previous page of this thread. The install was very easy, and the seat is really secure (using the base, not sure about the baseless install). The seat is actually pretty handsome, and very light, which is the main reason we bought it.

The budget is not the only thing that is holding back further mods at this point. As long as I need to be able to put the kid in the back, there's really no way to add good seats and 6-point harnesses. So, I'll continue to be the guy on track with the mostly stock 996, sliding around on the stock seats.

Fpena944, Roadsession, best of luck to you both, and congratulations on what lies ahead.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Fixxxer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome! Would you mind posting the model number that you bought? I'll likely have to order mine from Amazon (or somewhere online) and want to make sure I get the right make/year/etc.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:25 PM
mjdavis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fixxxer
Awesome! Would you mind posting the model number that you bought? I'll likely have to order mine from Amazon (or somewhere online) and want to make sure I get the right make/year/etc.
The Amazon ASIN number is B008PURGFY (this may be specific to the color I bought, not sure). I know that the seat is sold with and without the base, so make sure you get the base as well. Not sure what your stroller situation is, but I have a Bugaboo Bee, and the Aton fits in nicely using a pair of Maxi Cosi adapters.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:49 PM
jml8785
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have scoured this string and have only come up with 1 possible solution for my 2 year old. Needs to be forward facing with integrated harness. The whole thing strapped to the car with the factory seatbelt.

Evenflow Chase DLX

Did I miss any other options?
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 86 Posts

Cosco Serena fits like a glove. Good quality and inexpensive. I used it in my 928 and it fits well in my 996. I removed the seat back and the seat cushion and leveled it with folded bath towels. This is for front facing 20-40 lbs.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scen...ndingMethod=rr
Attached Images  

Last edited by Cosmo Kramer; 03-27-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:39 PM
jml8785
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cheap alternative

I spent some time at Target with a tape measure...

Bought these 2 options, installed them, very happy:

This seat works well for a toddler (my daughter is 2) that needs a full harness system and is forward facing (I did not try it rear facing). It fits very securely with the "pull the seat belt all the way until it clicks...it then goes into ratchet mode" method. One trick I used was to get all the slack out I could with the seat in-place. I then unlatched the seat belt and let it retract 3 more clicks. I then muscled it back into the latch. That made the seat really tight and secure. I removed the 996 seat bottom and back.

Cosco High Back Booster Car Seat
Model BC037ALZ
Item # 2396

http://www.target.com/webapp/wcs/sto...e/-/A-13999426

I paid $39.99.

For a child that is old enough for just a booster that gets them tall enough so the stock seat belt is positioned correctly (my son is 5 years old, fits him perfectly). I left the 996 seat bottom and back in-place:

Cosco Top Side Booster
Model BC030BOK
Item #1672

http://www.target.com/webapp/wcs/sto...k/-/A-13999429

I paid $12.99

Both of these are low-cost, no frills seats. I wasn't necessarily looking for cheap. Just wanted a good fit. These seats pass the same regulatory testing as all the others. I feel they will keep my kids safe.

BTW, this thread has been a great help. Thanks to everyone that has contributed. I really enjoy sharing the P-car with my kids!
Attached Images    
Old 04-02-2013, 02:10 AM
Sharkys
Advanced

Folks, we have a winner - Recaro Pro Booster. It fits like the Porsche booster seat and the space between the head rest is wider by at least an inch. I wrote in an earlier post that the Porsche seat squeezed my daughters ears, so I returned the Porsche back to the Dealer. The Pro Booster has more shoulder room than the Vivo and my daughter with her swimmer's shoulders fit just fine now. Also, The Pro Booster fits better than the Vivo inside my 997.1, but the Pro Booster is a bit tougher to buckle - nt a big deal. My daughter did not like how the arm rests on the Porsche booster were too low. The Pro Booster arm rests height fits her just right as they are a bit higher. There seems to be more cushion and padding on the Pro vs the Vivo. The Pro is a bigger seat, but it still fits down into the well better than the Vivo. Don't get me wrong, the Vivo worked great the past 2.5 yrs, but my daughter out grew it.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:34 AM
Sharkys
Advanced

Folks, we have a winner - Recaro Pro Booster. It fits like the Porsche booster seat and the space between the head rest is wider by at least an inch. I wrote in an earlier post that the OEM Porsche seat squeezed my daughters ears, so I returned the Porsche seat back to the Dealer. The Pro Booster has more shoulder room than the Vivo and my daughter with her swimmer's shoulders fit just fine now. Also, The Pro Booster fits better than the Vivo inside my 997.1, but the Pro Booster is a bit tougher to buckle - not a big deal. My daughter did not like how the arm rests on the Porsche booster were too low. The Pro Booster arm rests height fits her just right as they are a bit higher. There seems to be more cushion and padding on the Pro vs the Vivo. The Pro is a bigger seat, but it still fits down into the well better than the Vivo. Don't get me wrong, the Vivo worked great the past 2.5 yrs, but my daughter out grew it.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:09 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Ordered the Cybex Aton (in heavenly blue which matches my car!) and it arrived yesterday. I did a test fit and it does fit perfectly but the front seat has to be scooted up nearly all the way to the dashboard.

Did you only remove the bottom pad or did you also remove the back of the seat for that extra inch of space?

I'm glad it fits but I was hoping for a little extra room in the front.

Quick Reply: Time for and updated baby seat model thread? Past threads have outdated names, etc.