996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cary/Apex Coffee and Bagels

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm just doing coffee. Have been to Ingram a few times and it definitely a must see!
Old 10-01-2010, 10:15 PM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ingram info

hey wayne - and anyone else that's interested. it appears that they expect quite a large group to attend the ingram event. as such, it's my understanding that they plan to have alternating entries or 2 showings if you will. there is a large group leaving from brier creek at 8:15 to get to ingrams for the early entry. i plan to be there for that. this should allow enough time in the day to get back to brier creek by 11 for the BIG monthly cars and coffee. this one is expected to be huge, being that the weather will be perfect and its' getting late in the season. there should be lots of opportunity to use your cameras at both events. you just can't shoot inside at ingrams. but the show in the p-lot should be good enough. there should be tons of fun eye candy at BC also. even my other neighbor plans to bring his 32 cpe rod. he expects to rattle the neighborhood windows with a drive by at about 10:30. hope to see you all there...
Old 10-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Excellent! I hope to see you all tomorrow!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Bruce R
Three Wheelin'

Received 478 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by 911michael
Technically speaking Bruce, your father doesn't need to be a PCA member, he just needs a member card to show at the door. If I lived closer, he could borrow mine - or if I decide to go he can borrow it. He and I could take turns being me.
Originally Posted by LVDell
Bruce, your father can take my membership card if you want.
Thanks guys.
My Dad's is now booked for golf at noon. But if I could borrow your card at coffee tomorrow, that would be great. Might still be able to fit it in.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Good to see everyone today... managed to make coffee, then the Ingram collection and Brier Creek before the end of the morning... the perfect way for a car junkie to spend the morning.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:44 PM
cdaniels
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob Ingram's Porsche collection is in the Ultimate "Man Cave".....what a neat place.....my favorite today was the 550 Spyder...it only weighs 1100 lbs......it looks like a toy but impressive....but worth over 1 millon dollars.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cdaniels
Bob Ingram's Porsche collection is in the Ultimate "Man Cave".....what a neat place.....my favorite today was the 550 Spyder...it only weighs 1100 lbs......it looks like a toy but impressive....but worth over 1 millon dollars.
Yup, lots of nice cars, although, it's a little depressing to see such beautiful cars with so few miles on them... the 911 Spyder had 27 miles on it - basically delivery miles and nothing else. I swear that he has as big a problem as Phil when it comes to not driving nice cars.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:45 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Yup, lots of nice cars, although, it's a little depressing to see such beautiful cars with so few miles on them... the 911 Spyder had 27 miles on it - basically delivery miles and nothing else. I swear that he has as big a problem as Phil when it comes to not driving nice cars.
Totally agree. I guess you have to look at it as he is collecting works of art not cars. I know I couldn't restrain myself. I'd be driving them all the time.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Totally agree. I guess you have to look at it as he is collecting works of art not cars. I know I couldn't restrain myself. I'd be driving them all the time.
I guess that's the only way to rationalize it. The sad thing is that they're not really works of art, but a collection of amazing cars that were meant to be driven. If he were collecting artwork, then he could get rid of half of the room, as you only need one example of a 356, not 12.

In September he took delivery of a GT3 RS. It still has german plates on it. Who here will take the bet that the car will never be registered over here?

... thoroughly depressing.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:08 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Depressing it is.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe he will give me one!

Yeah, like THAT will ever happen!
Old 10-03-2010, 10:22 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I talked to Bob Ingram yesterday, and he explained that it wasn't intended to be a collection. He bought his first Porsche when he was 50 yrs old, and it steadily multiplied. He drove the cars that he had until his obsession became much larger. I can see how that could happen, even if I don't have the means to follow the same path.

I agree that the cars were built to be driven, but there has to be a point at which they become a time capsule. I'm glad there is a collection because I might never have seen what these cars looked like on the showroom floor without it. I always feel like I'm looking at the cars as Ferry Porsche would have seen them back in the day.

Bob
Old 10-03-2010, 10:29 AM
rpm's S2
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Depressing it is.
I understand and completely agree in principle with this sentiment. But in this specific case I think the application of the principle is mis-placed.

These cars are extremely rare examples, each and every one of them. Many are in their original factory condition, having been miraculously kept that way for 40-50 years. Acquired for this collection, they are much less street cars than historical records of how the cars were originally built. Early Porsche factory records are famously vague and incomplete. Collectors and restorers travel from around the world to examine these cars to see how things were actually done.

As for driving, some of these cars are - and hard. One of the 356 Carrera GTs just returned from doing the Colorado Grand: 1,000+ miles including crossing 14,000 ft Independence Pass while racing an Aston DBIV! Many of these cars make appearances at local, regional, and national shows and some even show up on our BBQ runs. And that 550 Spyder? It has some serious competition history and has been restored to its "BergSpyder" layout. Stunningly rare and valuable.

I am just happy that such a collection of rare and beautiful cars (one of the best in the world!) is locally owned by an enthusiast who likes to open the door to his private garage to fellow Porschephiles.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Bruce R
Three Wheelin'

Received 478 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Here is clip of myself and my brother following Cam Ingram in his 996 GT3 RS

Here is a clip of myself and my brother following Cam Ingram in his 996 GT3 RS, indeed they do drive them.
This particular car was Fedex'd in from Europe, honest!
I also saw Bob driving his new 997.2 RS just the other day in RTP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWCU7UVNWxA
Old 10-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I'm glad to hear that some of these cars are driven, because that is certainly not apparent from looking at the odometers - the majority have little more than delivery miles, or at most a few thousands miles on top of that.

I agree that it's good that we have the collection locally and that someone like Bob is preserving them (and generous enough to allow us to visit them), but that still does not detract from that fact that the cars are meant to be driven and not become museum pieces.

To put things in perspective, Philadelphia has the Simeone Collection of distinguished race cars - a truly amazing collection.

http://www.simeonefoundation.org/

All of the cars on display were driven hard throughout their lives and continue to be driven today. That is a collection that preserves the cars for posterity, but continues to use the cars as they intended.

Quick Reply: Cary/Apex Coffee and Bagels