Sponsored by:

It's official, my engine is BLOWN.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:59 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Too loud I might have over stated it abit. The 996 IS an improvement and REALLy even the motor might be if you think about what most 911 guys use their cars for. You really dont need a dry sump racing motor unless you are in turn one of daytona at 30 degrees. The 996 Motor will do what 99% of its owners want.
the 993 motor while more complicated is more maintenence intensive too. thus the higher replacement cost. Devalued maybe too strong a term.

Oh BTW the AC in the 996 is the best AC in a 911 ever. The 997 is just as good
Old 05-06-2008, 01:00 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
So i suppose the real question is, how come nobody organized a class against Porsche? Or has someone started?
Because all class-actions do is make the lawyers rich, and because we really don't have much of a claim unless Porsche starts refusing to pay for engines that were under warranty at the time of their demise.

Is it a crappy situation? Yes. Is Porsche legally responsible? Most likely not.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:01 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Too loud I might have over stated it abit. The 996 IS an improvement and REALLy even the motor might be if you think about what most 911 guys use their cars for. You really dont need a dry sump racing motor unless you are in turn one of daytona at 30 degrees. The 996 Motor will do what 99% of its owners want.
the 993 motor while more complicated is more maintenence intensive too. thus the higher replacement cost. Devalued maybe too strong a term.

Oh BTW the AC in the 996 is the best AC in a 911 ever. The 997 is just as good
Sure, I understand. Between the 993 and the 996, I'm confident that I've got the car more suited for my lifestyle.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:02 AM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redridge
Of course there is something wrong... thats why it let go.... let me paint a picture for you on a possibility of what may have happened here... an owner didnt pay attention (or care) at the oil level... the drive chain starts to stretch, the chain tensioner dont have enough to pick up the slop. The chain starts to hit the casing... to a point where it cracks it.... coolant starts to mix with oil. The internet gets hold of intermixing... it must be a porous block, must be a metalurgy process defect in manufacturing the block.... blah, blah, blah.
There was never a case of porous block in the 996... if it did it would of let go driving it within 2 weeks out of the dealer.... these are some of the crap thats out there... Im sure someone will chime in with the porouse intermixing problem here soon... Im not saying that this scenerio is always the case but there are people out there who drives with the cell on and think nothing of it... have it cleared and throw it out on the used car market... The law of the universe is someone has to pay...
If it was just so simple we would see much the same in Corvettes, M3's, etc, etc...

Porsche 996 owners are not any more retarded than the rest.

A little low on oil, for example, should not even play a role in a catastrophic failure.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:02 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Oh Contrair!! Grasshoppa. I didnt read the whole thread but I will go back and do so.
Porsche did devalue the 996. First of all they switched from the extremely versatile race capable motor to a mass produced wet sump motor. The 996 motor is worth about $8K with a $350 core exchange. My neighbor just bought one for his 996. He bought the 911 for $10k (with a motor issue) and bought a crate motor for $8k and brand new 911.
The other thing Porsche did is they made 6 bazillion of them including the Twin Turbo (which has the much better dry sump motor and is worth about 35000 I think) thats why the 996 TT is worth less than a 993 TT. I think the 996 TT is the value of the century and if you are looking for one its a GREAT car.
The other thing that hurt is they had a bunch of parts that are indenticlal to the boxster. There wasnt enough difference between the lesser 986 and the top of the line 996 911. In fact you cant tell the difference between a 99 996 and a Boxster from the front. Luckily Porsche came out with a new headlite design
for the Big Brother in 2001? Or when ever the 996 Twin Turbo came out

The 996 is a great car and is a step up in chassis design from the 993. But when designing the 996 Porsche was hurting and went to Toyota to understand how to make a less expensive product and increase the bottom line namely profits. The 996 was the fruit of that meeting.

Having seen what my neighbor did I am now thinking the 996 maybe the value model of the Porsche line and if you want to build a inexpensive track car or a great DD the 996 911 maybe the car to look at.
I was going to buy a 914 and do a track car or restoration but after looking at this incredible Porsche Value the 996 911 maybe the ticket for me.
Dont get me wrong the 996 is a great 911 but its not the limited 911 the 993 is
wet sump, bazillion 996 vs 993, toyota.... all of this is aircooled supremacy. I really dont want to get into this, if you want we can go at it through PM... please make sure that you have a reference source as I will do the same. I would rather work with references rather than what people say, it just faster and cleaner this way.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:03 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm confident that I've got the car more suited for my lifestyle.
Hey I am going to start looking for one too. Its just too good a value right now and just a sweetheart
(it would be my 2nd I had a 996 GT3 too)
Old 05-06-2008, 01:06 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Of course there is something wrong... thats why it let go.... let me paint a picture for you on a possibility of what may have happened here... an owner didnt pay attention (or care) at the oil level... the drive chain starts to stretch, the chain tensioner dont have enough to pick up the slop. The chain starts to hit the casing... to a point where it cracks it.... coolant starts to mix with oil. The internet gets hold of intermixing... it must be a porous block, must be a metalurgy process defect in manufacturing the block.... blah, blah, blah.
There was never a case of porous block in the 996... if it did it would of let go driving it within 2 weeks out of the dealer.... these are some of the crap thats out there... Im sure someone will chime in with the porouse intermixing problem here soon... Im not saying that this scenerio is always the case but there are people out there who drives with the cell on and think nothing of it... have it cleared and throw it out on the used car market... The law of the universe is someone has to pay...
You know not of what you speak - why do you feel the need to deny the manufacturing and QC issues of the early M96 blocks?

Please read then come back with a more informed viewpoint: http://www.autofarm.co.uk/pdf/Total911_July06.pdf
Old 05-06-2008, 01:08 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ls911
If it was just so simple we would see much the same in Corvettes, M3's, etc, etc...

Porsche 996 owners are not any more retarded than the rest.

A little low on oil, for example, should not even play a role in a catastrophic failure.
But it does happen to them... now as far as #'s. We've already established that we dont have them.

Porsche states that its normal to loose 1qt in 600 miles.... in other words make sure you check your oil!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:08 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

REdrdige I am not going to my Excellence was Expected volume to find out what page its on.
ANd its not air cooled sumpremacy. I have a watercooled DRY sump 997 GT3. Its a better motor than the integrated dry sump 997 also. I am confident in my understanding of Porsche history to not have to quote sources. I was just trying to help you understand the truth. Porsche went to a mass produced motor for its garden variety 911 starting in 1999. The more expensive Porsche racing derived motor can be found in
the 996 TT, the 996 GT3 , the 996 GT2 the 997 TT the 997 GT3 and the 997 GT2. Thats common Porsche knowledge which you should be aware of.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:14 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cdodkin
You know not of what you speak - why do you feel the need to deny the manufacturing and QC issues of the early M96 blocks?
Im not in denial, I know **** happens in the world... but let be specific, are we talking about pourouse block issues?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Phil R
Instructor

its becuase the ****e oil they put in the car.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 AM
ls911
Pro

Gents, I am done

Off to have some good wine with my fine wife

Good night to all

Peace out
Old 05-06-2008, 01:19 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

REdrdige I am not going to my Excellence was Expected volume to find out what page its on.
ANd its not air cooled sumpremacy. I have a watercooled DRY sump 997 GT3. Its a better motor than the integrated dry sump 997 also. I am confident in my understanding of Porsche history to not have to quote sources. I was just trying to help you understand the truth. Porsche went to a mass produced motor for its garden variety 911 starting in 1999. The more expensive Porsche racing derived motor can be found in
the 996 TT, the 996 GT3 , the 996 GT2 the 997 TT the 997 GT3 and the 997 GT2. Thats common Porsche knowledge which you should be aware of.
thanks... I was aware of that.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:23 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well I appreciate that. But youre right there is a air cooled supremacy that some of the 993 and earlier guys have and turn up their noses at us water heads. That does exist.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:25 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not in denial, I know **** happens in the world... but let be specific, are we talking about pourouse block issues?
Porous Block occurred in the early 986 M96 engines (97-99) due to poor manufacturing at the factory. Air pockets in the castings eventually caused failure. Changes in manufacturing fixed this issue after many early life failures.

996 M96 blocks suffer from cracked cylinder linings (Unfortunately, cracks can appear in the lining and its surrounding aluminium), cracked heads (The mounting point for the hydraulic tappets is a weak point,), IMS shaft sheer (Porsche changed the design of this shaft no less than four times during the life of the 996; partly to solve the bearing failure issue, and partly to reduce an annoying rattle on start-up), and RMS/IMS oil leaks. (See the well written Autofarm article)

The first two issues are prime candidates for the intermix problem on this engine.

Quick Reply: It's official, my engine is BLOWN.