Sponsored by:

It's official, my engine is BLOWN.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Actually, it would put it in line regarding market value 996s should have relative to the 993s. We are buying these cars at a discount for obvious reasons.
Amazing, great minds think a like? Did you see my post on previous page? If you didn't go read it ,I also said the same thing!!!!.....wait...a...minute.....are you pulling a fast one on me....????
Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I am late to the game as always. It was one of the reasons I am driving a 996 now instead of a 993. the AC also works. Easier to change oil.... more comfortable.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:11 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by othomasjr
I got a better quote and wanted to see what you guys think. It's a P dealer and they dropped it from $15,000 to $12,777.00. That's tax and everything out the door. I asked about what was included (starter, alternator, etc.) and they said everything would be transferred from the old motor. They may just have told me that and not know. I do know that it is a crate motor and should include what normally comes with it, including the warranty. Also, they said the last motor they replaced was BRAND new because Porsche didn't have an reman. ones in stock.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT $12,777.00??? THANKS!!
Do you mean out the door installed? If so YES, you should go for it and spark up that fire again.

Why the change in price?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Spoken like a true salaryman.

I promise you, I guarantee you, on all I hold sacred, that nothing I said gives you a clue about how much money I make. That would be tacky.
bro you are so weak man WAHAHHAAHAH

you are the one who brought YOUR personal finances into his not I, check 1, check 2, check 3, it's bruce P sensitivity/whine session time!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Get real, my friend. The fact that we're here on this forum at all means we're privileged. We're lucky, lucky people. It's shameful to feel like a victim over something like this. If you can't feed your family or keep your home, that's one thing. But if you get the chance to enjoy the finer things in life, and every once in awhile those finer things cost you something, you have no right to pity.
No offense, but I disagree with this. If you buy something nice, you have just as much right to be disappointed if it breaks. That's a subjective thing. Objectively, the world may not feel bad for you, but that doesn't change the fact that something unfortunate happened. I think the "too bad for you" type comments are misplaced, especially for the original poster who just had his "baby" explode.

I have to agree with Ben: the elitist, we all are rich because we own porsches, so buying a new engine shouldn't matter to us, and if you can't afford to buy a new engine, then you shouldn't have the car, blah blah blah... is all BS.

People buy things and expect them to work. Especially nice things.

-td
Old 05-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
Well, I have to say that I DO think that Porsche should do what BMW did for the S54 M Roadster engines. Up the engine warranty to 100k miles.
Perry, agreed, but I have a feeling many less S54 engines were impacted by that action than Porsche's count.

You simply do not hear of nearly as many failures, board for board, in the M3forum than here about engine failures.

Rod bearing recall, VANOS failures, and another thing that comes up is the rear subframe tearing, but based on my ownership experience and listening to people's stories... the S54 is what people would call bulletproof. It's also still being made with very few if any changes to it since it debuted back in '01 (?). Z4 M coupe, I think, it is a cool car and a killer value.

M96's record is much more splotchy than the S54.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:46 PM
ls911
Pro

You know Ben had I done more research prior to purchase things MIGHT have gone in a different direction.
I'm all good w/it at this point and will deal (not scared to drive or anything stupid like that)
At the time of purchase all I knew is that I wanted a 911 and I was done waiting for the right time.
Last year one of my good/few friend got diagnosed with lung cancer.
Within a few months I became a 996 owner

I take the good with the bad as good as anybody. But motors blowing up w/low miles is a joke no matter what kind of spin you put on it
Bargain priced improved replacement motors...yeah, thanks Porsche

Can't sugar coat this ****
Old 05-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Irksome
Racer

I, for one, could not casually afford a $12k+ repair bill. This is why I chose instead to purchase a $3884 extended warranty, which works out to $780 or so per year. I don't plan on keeping the car beyond the warranty coverage. I decided to purchase the warranty in large part due to the (perception of) fairly high frequency of severe engine failure.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:22 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

thanks guys.... this thread just devalued our cars another $5k.... Adrian was right about why the 996 has the rep it has...
Old 05-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There's always the option of a used motor from Oklahoma Foreign (for example). If your budget is really tight you should have no problem finding one and having a good indy install it all out the door for $8K or thereabouts. An extended warranty has pro's and con's. Speaking from an Indy point of view most are incredibly difficult to deal with, they look for any reason not to pay out so focus only on those recommended by others here who know these cars (important). Call Betim @ BBI Autosport in Huntington Beach, CA www.bbiautosport.com He might have a line on a discounted reman or spare as he works for Porsche Motorsport and also builds engine's for TRG. There are spares around you just need the right resource outside of the dealer option to find a good deal. There's no good way to spin the crappy situation but I'd recommend doing a little more digging before going with the $12K option.

Good luck.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:41 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
bro you are so weak man WAHAHHAAHAH

you are the one who brought YOUR personal finances into his not I, check 1, check 2, check 3, it's bruce P sensitivity/whine session time!
You're an ***, Ben. I've had your back a lot since you came on this board, but this is playground crap.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:42 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by himself
No offense, but I disagree with this. If you buy something nice, you have just as much right to be disappointed if it breaks. That's a subjective thing. Objectively, the world may not feel bad for you, but that doesn't change the fact that something unfortunate happened. I think the "too bad for you" type comments are misplaced, especially for the original poster who just had his "baby" explode.

I have to agree with Ben: the elitist, we all are rich because we own porsches, so buying a new engine shouldn't matter to us, and if you can't afford to buy a new engine, then you shouldn't have the car, blah blah blah... is all BS.

People buy things and expect them to work. Especially nice things.

-td
I hope that you understand that this is not what I've been saying. I think you're more literate than this, and I really have been quite clear.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by redridge
thanks guys.... this thread just devalued our cars another $5k.... Adrian was right about why the 996 has the rep it has...
Agreed. 100%.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:08 PM
ls911
Pro

Originally Posted by BruceP
Agreed. 100%.
Porsche devalued not us or this thread, come on now let's be real about it

None of this should be taken so personal either
Old 05-05-2008, 11:11 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by ls911
Porsche devalued not us or this thread, come on now let's be real about it

None of this should be taken so personal either
Debate isn't personal. That kind of mocking and baiting is. My rule would be this: If you wouldn't say it to my face, don't say it to me online. And no matter what our ballin' friend might claim, I'm fairly certain he wouldn't treat any of us in person the way he does from behind the safety of his Dell. Thanks for the lecture, though. Really super.

Quick Reply: It's official, my engine is BLOWN.