Sponsored by:

It's official, my engine is BLOWN.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
You're an ***, Ben. I've had your back a lot since you came on this board, but this is playground crap.
I play fair. if you say something stupid, I'm going to call you on it. that's what friends are for but if you're seriously getting your feelings hurt cuz of my response to your posts here, you're obviously not cut out. all i'm saying is you taking this $12K is nothing, deal with it people it's a porsche attitude is absolutely disgusting. $12K is a major chunk of the value of your car and again i'm going to link it up to the basics of life... that's a lot of nice meals.

i'msurprised you don't agree.

pls take a deep breath and reasses, bruce. seriously. i'm the same guy who sees and calls the same bigotry we see on this board as you.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by ls911
Porsche devalued not us or this thread, come on now let's be real about it

None of this should be taken so personal either
these guys have got to be F-ing joking i hope they are, if not.... WAHAHAHAH
Old 05-05-2008, 11:22 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I play fair. if you say something stupid, I'm going to call you on it. that's what friends are for but if you're seriously getting your feelings hurt cuz of my response to your posts here, you're obviously not cut out.
My feelings aren't hurt a bit. But you are an ***. And your reply just confirms it. There is nothing in your track record to suggest that you play 'fair'. You're a little bully, which is the weakest sauce of all.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:27 PM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP;5383232[B
]Debate isn't personal. That kind of mocking and baiting is. My rule would be this: If you wouldn't say it to my face, don't say it to me online[/B]. And no matter what our ballin' friend might claim, I'm fairly certain he wouldn't treat any of us in person the way he does from behind the safety of his Dell. Thanks for the lecture, though. Really super.
Your an *** ben?

Lecture?

F' NO

Just my take on it and a failed attempt to cool things down a bit
Too Bad

Will let you be Bruce, no problem
Old 05-05-2008, 11:38 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Porsche devalued not us or this thread, come on now let's be real about it

None of this should be taken so personal either
none taken... Porsche didnt devalued the 996... the aircooled supremacy and paranoia did. If the internet was at full swing 10-15 years ago... I believe that whatever p-car was present at the time, they to would have had an exaggerated numbers of failure rate (not just engines).
I am being real, the internet is not real enough for me... but people think if its on the internet hey, it must be true that these cars are time bombs (just look at the recent threads)... after awhile, if you read enough of it, then people start to believe it as a fact. The fact... is we dont really dont know the failure rates... can anyone here on the internet show me proof of what the failure rate is on these cars... Only Porsche know... and of course everyone and their mother has their conspiracy theory on why that is... again, i would love to know... but from reading all the posts above, I can see why Porsche opt to take the 5th... and quite honestly don't blame them.... there are alot of myths about the 996 and this thread just proves why that is... maybe 20 years from now history will set us straight and the 996 will be worth 10x more because of the hysteria it created and not because it was a new breed of technology.... peace!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:11 AM
ls911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear
I'm all good with it redridge. You make good points, dually noted
I know we have no clue on failure % rates.
I believe It should not be as high as it already is, that much I do know.

I’m not looking for Toyota/Honda reliability. Not looking to sell either.
I have a deep passion for my p-bitch to the point that my wife is a bit jealous.
I simply do not know of any other car that has this kind of issues and that is a problem not just fabricated by some unfortunate victims surfing the net
Are there any other cars with this many reman motors?
I love my flat 6.
But don't you think something is wrong when it can let go with little to no warning, low % rate or not?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:30 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Wow, "miss a day, miss a lot"!

1. It's easy to dismiss the blown engine talk until it happens to you. Ask me how I know.
2. The car is being devalued because we're talking about it? These things are even touchier than I thought.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:32 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by BruceP
My feelings aren't hurt a bit. But you are an ***. And your reply just confirms it. There is nothing in your track record to suggest that you play 'fair'. You're a little bully, which is the weakest sauce of all.
you are sensitive. it does make sense now. i can connect the dots. la la la la
Old 05-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by tooloud10

1. It's easy to dismiss the blown engine talk until it happens to you. Ask me how I know.
2. The car is being devalued because we're talking about it? These things are even touchier than I thought.
these guys talk in their argument for overblowing things on the net point to the very fact that this audience is small, that we are a small niche community here

but then as soon as we talk about real issues impacting the wallets and ownership experience posted up not by me but OTHER PEOPLE, they conveniently switch up this forum to be some sort of primetime tv britney spears reveals it all interview w/ barbara walters.

pls. get a grip. the car is being valued just fine in the market. i'm almost afraid these guys if they had their way would censor the word ims/rebuild/failure for fear of devaluing a car where at least one of the censor guys thinks $12K is but a line to sniff up and say next. a bit of a contradiction i must say.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Glad to hear
But don't you think something is wrong when it can let go with little to no warning, low % rate or not?
Of course there is something wrong... thats why it let go.... let me paint a picture for you on a possibility of what may have happened here... an owner didnt pay attention (or care) at the oil level... the drive chain starts to stretch, the chain tensioner dont have enough to pick up the slop. The chain starts to hit the casing... to a point where it cracks it.... coolant starts to mix with oil. The internet gets hold of intermixing... it must be a porous block, must be a metalurgy process defect in manufacturing the block.... blah, blah, blah.
There was never a case of porous block in the 996... if it did it would of let go driving it within 2 weeks out of the dealer.... these are some of the crap thats out there... Im sure someone will chime in with the porouse intermixing problem here soon... Im not saying that this scenerio is always the case but there are people out there who drives with the cell on and think nothing of it... have it cleared and throw it out on the used car market... The law of the universe is someone has to pay...
Old 05-06-2008, 12:47 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

. Porsche didnt devalued the 996... the aircooled supremacy and paranoia did..
Oh Contrair!! Grasshoppa. I didnt read the whole thread but I will go back and do so.
Porsche did devalue the 996. First of all they switched from the extremely versatile race capable motor to a mass produced wet sump motor. The 996 motor is worth about $8K with a $350 core exchange. My neighbor just bought one for his 996. He bought the 911 for $10k (with a motor issue) and bought a crate motor for $8k and brand new 911.
The other thing Porsche did is they made 6 bazillion of them including the Twin Turbo (which has the much better dry sump motor and is worth about 35000 I think) thats why the 996 TT is worth less than a 993 TT. I think the 996 TT is the value of the century and if you are looking for one its a GREAT car.
The other thing that hurt is they had a bunch of parts that are indenticlal to the boxster. There wasnt enough difference between the lesser 986 and the top of the line 996 911. In fact you cant tell the difference between a 99 996 and a Boxster from the front. Luckily Porsche came out with a new headlite design
for the Big Brother in 2001? Or when ever the 996 Twin Turbo came out

The 996 is a great car and is a step up in chassis design from the 993. But when designing the 996 Porsche was hurting and went to Toyota to understand how to make a less expensive product and increase the bottom line namely profits. The 996 was the fruit of that meeting.

Having seen what my neighbor did I am now thinking the 996 maybe the value model of the Porsche line and if you want to build a inexpensive track car or a great DD the 996 911 maybe the car to look at.
I was going to buy a 914 and do a track car or restoration but after looking at this incredible Porsche Value the 996 911 maybe the ticket for me.
Dont get me wrong the 996 is a great 911 but its not the limited 911 the 993 is
Old 05-06-2008, 12:48 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
pls. get a grip. the car is being valued just fine in the market. i'm almost afraid these guys if they had their way would censor the word ims/rebuild/failure for fear of devaluing a car where at least one of the censor guys thinks $12K is but a line to sniff up and say next. a bit of a contradiction i must say.
Sure, I bought my car to drive, not to sit around and rub with a cloth diaper while I contemplate how much it's worth if I sell it. I paid $33k for my car about 18 months ago...it's currently worth $25-30k, judging by eBay prices--which happens to be where I found it.

Seems like...a normal car. 'Cept for the engine problems, of course!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:53 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tooloud10

2. The car is being devalued because we're talking about it?
Yup, thats why we all have 911s... I would go to an Indie shop cause of what people say about them, dont you?
Old 05-06-2008, 12:54 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Oh Contrair!! Grasshoppa. I didnt read the whole thread but I will go back and do so.
Porsche did devalue the 996.
Porsche "devaluing" the 996 by improving them over the 993 in virtually every way, save the exploding engines, is a win-win for a guy like me that doesn't believe that cars have souls, that bought it to drive it, and doesn't treat the whole thing like some sort of pseudo-religion.

I wish I didn't have to deal with the engine concerns, but if this is life with a Porsche with functional A/C and the best performance to date of a 911, I'll take it any day over an air-cooled model and count my pennies, thank-you-very-much.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:55 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So i suppose the real question is, how come nobody organized a class against Porsche? Or has someone started?

Quick Reply: It's official, my engine is BLOWN.