996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

It's official, my engine is BLOWN.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's cuz it keeps happening bruce. we didn't ask these people to post up failure stories from 8 yrs ago.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:55 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by BruceP
Uh-huh.

Well, see, the thing is that some of us only need to be 'informed' once or twice. Not over and over and over and over and over and over and over and f-ing over again.
You have the option to not click on the 'engine blown' threads - really, you do!
Old 05-05-2008, 06:00 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
I expect a bit more providence from you than this blinders-on statement. You know why, we all know why.

a $12K expenditure is a $12K expenditure that gets your car back to where it was already before the blow-up.

a $12K expenditure is a lot of food on the table. you know this. It's a nice family vacation. It's a lot of diff things to a lot of diff people so to write off a $10G+ expenditure on a toy item as a part of playing the game when there are other toys that don't have an IMS/cracked cylinder/etc threat... comes off as pretty elitist bud.

whether you're worth millions of dollars or making $100K a year keeping up with the joneses, let's keep it real.... spending $12K for repair a repair bill SUCKS.
Many things suck. But nobody said that a Porsche with Toyota reliability was your constitutional right. Means a lot of things to a lot of people? Elitist? That is spectacularly hypocritical, Ben. The fact that you drive one at all qualifies as that. The median income of a working man in the United States right now is about $35,000, if I remember my census figures more or less accurately. I think that the guys on the other side of that number wouldn't feel too sorry for you losing sleep over your remanufactured Porsche engine. Get real, my friend. The fact that we're here on this forum at all means we're privileged. We're lucky, lucky people. It's shameful to feel like a victim over something like this. If you can't feed your family or keep your home, that's one thing. But if you get the chance to enjoy the finer things in life, and every once in awhile those finer things cost you something, you have no right to pity.

No, I'm sorry. Your friendly neighbourhood Canadian isn't the elitist. He's the one who's manning up and accepting the risks that come with his good fortune. It's the guy driving the C4S and claiming to be a suffering victim at the hands of an arrogant corporation that needs his perspective adjusted.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:01 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by cdodkin
You have the option to not click on the 'engine blown' threads - really, you do!
Yes, but I don't have the option of not seeing the list of them when I open up the 996 forum page.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:07 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
It's cuz it keeps happening bruce. we didn't ask these people to post up failure stories from 8 yrs ago.
Yeah, I get it. And so?

Somebody want to certify a class? Do it.

Somebody know a way to avoid the problem? Tell us.

Somebody know a better way to repair it? Share.

Somebody have information from inside Porsche that might help with any of the above? Post it up.

But otherwise, it's just undignified to be crying into your Cristal worrying about it.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Many things suck. But nobody said that a Porsche with Toyota reliability was your constitutional right. Means a lot of things to a lot of people? Elitist? That is spectacularly hypocritical, Ben. The fact that you drive one at all qualifies as that. The median income of a working man in the United States right now is about $35,000, if I remember my census figures more or less accurately. I think that the guys on the other side of that number wouldn't feel too sorry for you losing sleep over your remanufactured Porsche engine. Get real, my friend. The fact that we're here on this forum at all means we're privileged. We're lucky, lucky people. It's shameful to feel like a victim over something like this. If you can't feed your family or keep your home, that's one thing. But if you get the chance to enjoy the finer things in life, and every once in awhile those finer things cost you something, you have no right to pity.

No, I'm sorry. Your friendly neighbourhood Canadian isn't the elitist. He's the one who's manning up and accepting the risks that come with his good fortune. It's the guy driving the C4S and claiming to be a suffering victim at the hands of an arrogant corporation that needs his perspective adjusted.
calm down dude. i think you and i both agree here at a high-level. we are lucky to be driving this car.

but to play off $12K has a part of playing the game and you making it up in a few weeks... is complete snobbery. great so you can pay off $12K no sweat in a paycheck. thx for sharing info that's pretty personal financial info.

manning up? WAHAHAHAHAHAHAH c'mon dog. if we're going to keep it real, if you call spending money manning up... not sure what kinda man u are bud.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:09 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Yes, but I don't have the option of not seeing the list of them when I open up the 996 forum page.
Buy a car that doesn't grenade - you'll avoid the posts that way
Old 05-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Yeah, I get it. And so?

Somebody have information from inside Porsche that might help with any of the above? Post it up.

But otherwise, it's just undignified to be crying into your Cristal worrying about it.
who said i'm worrying? i'm not worried. that's the point. what are you... worried?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:20 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't mean for this post to take this turn. I've read other posts about engines failing and I too grew tired of them. However, it's a totally different story when it happens to you. The $12,000 is not the issue here. All of us can afford the 12 grand or we wouldn't have the car in the first place. It's just the principal of so many engines failing in what is supposed to be such a high end sports car.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

i disagree that all of us can afford to spend $12Gs when we havepeople who have a tough time justifying $4K wheels. or $300 tires. or $1800 PSE.

let's not get all presumptuous here and call $12Gs $12 bux.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:38 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Yeah, I get it. And so?

1) To avoid the main problems - buy a 3.6L model car and not a 3.4L - if money is not an issue buy the GT3 and avoid the issues all together

2) If you do own a 3.4L car, when the factory warranty expires buy yourself a full coverage 3rd party warranty that would cover you for a new engine. And/or sell your car for a later 3.6L model.

3) Check your coolant and oil on a regular basis to avoid being stranded if it blows.

4) Invest in a large piggy bank and stuff $$$ into it instead of buying Starbucks/booze/hookers in the hope that it will contain enough for a new motor when the old one lets go.

5) Hit up BruceP for a new motor, as he has no problems covering it, and probably wouldn't miss the $10k once next month rolled around.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
errico
Instructor

Bruce i can only imagine what the engine prices would be up here. I understand your point but buying a porsche and replacing the engine is pretty f up. If i would have new all this before buying my car, (dealer in dallas told me about this site) i would have picked up a 997 c2s. i thought i was getting a similar car at a great discount. i have a 2 year warranty but every time i get on this site its the same story Engine failed or ims. i need a 10 year warranty Most guys i would say are fine in life but even those guys get pissed spending 12k , i know i would.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Okay, children. As I said earlier, have at it.

I'm very happy for you that you don't know what a real problem is and you can afford the supreme self-indulgence of whining about the fact that your Porsche engine might blow up.

Oh, and cdodkin... just a piece of advice: Read before you pop off. I offered the OP my sympathy and explicitly excluded him from my comment.

And, Ben, don't leap to stupid conclusions about how much money I have or make. I implied nothing about either of those things. I just said I went into this with my eyes open, and I'll survive the expense if it happens. Which has kind of been my point all along.

Finally, othomasjr, it's exactly this that I think we've had too much of. I'm sorry, this may be new for you, but it's not new to the 996 world. Yes, they shouldn't fail. But they do, and it's not a secret. So, I think you've got three choices: Sue Porsche, offer helpful advice to the people who have the problem, or be quiet. Complaining without doing anything - about anything in life, frankly - is a waste of oxygen.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:55 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by errico
Bruce i can only imagine what the engine prices would be up here. I understand your point but buying a porsche and replacing the engine is pretty f up. If i would have new all this before buying my car, (dealer in dallas told me about this site) i would have picked up a 997 c2s. i thought i was getting a similar car at a great discount. i have a 2 year warranty but every time i get on this site its the same story Engine failed or ims. i need a 10 year warranty Most guys i would say are fine in life but even those guys get pissed spending 12k , i know i would.
I think about $15 grand is the consistent number I've heard for this work in Canada, not that much worse than in the US. As I said earlier, to those who cared to read, I'd be pissed, too. I haven't said anywhere that you shouldn't be.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Complaining without doing anything - about anything in life, frankly - is a waste of oxygen.
Hey - that's a good quote. Reminds me of the immortal words of Kwai Chang Caine:

"If one's words are no better than silence, one should remain silent."

Quick Reply: It's official, my engine is BLOWN.