It's official, my engine is BLOWN.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:57 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSStudios
Porsche should acknowledge that there is a problem, and
they should have a program in place to replace these engines.
John
To your first statement, would you if you were Porsche? Would you risk 180,000 996 owners lawyering up and sinking the company? The system discourages them from saying anything, I'm afraid.

To your second statement, what makes you think they don't? Do you honestly believe that the cost of building and stocking replacement engines is really reflected in their prices? The motors are subsidized, that must be obvious.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:14 AM
joey c
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear about your car...its sucks ...this was the main reason i choose not to get a 996..its really a shame that porsche has not done more and worse is that they have raised the price on a reman..imagine that..they have crated engines because there are flaws in THEIR design..
Old 05-05-2008, 11:26 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Come on people!
We are all getting caught up in this hysteria lately and admit it or not I am sure that as we keep harping and maintaining this emphasis on "blowing" engines each one of us has some trepidation now every time we put the key in the ignition.
Most every local owner that I know and the indy shop that I use that is absolutely full of Porsche cars getting maintenance and mods year round agree with me that this issue is really being exagerated way out of proportion.
Like someone mentioned the other day, the guys on 6speed board seem to have a healthier focus, why can't we?
How about we just enjoy driving the cars for a change???
Pete
Old 05-05-2008, 11:33 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I've see a few posts of tips with blown engines as well. Makes no difference.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:30 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i wish they'd at least offer a short block option. why do we need the intakes, alternator, PS pump, and all other ancillaries on our crate motor? it seems like with all of the motor issues they could come up with a less expensive solution for us. that is a lot of money for an engine, especially after paying a lot of money for the car.....
Old 05-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pszikla
Like someone mentioned the other day, the guys on 6speed board seem to have a healthier focus,
Pete
healthier? healthier has in they're ignorant to all these types of things. i enjoy 6speed as much as you do but to compare the content, people.... healthier? no way.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:26 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned Porsches for 8 years now. I can tell you, I could barely rebuild the top end on my 964 for $5,000. Replacing an entire motor for $10,000 doesn't sound terrible to me. Of course my car has 81,000 miles...and the biggest thing is mine hasn't blown. If it did, I'd probably be just as pissed. But, if I can get a motor installed for $10-12,000, why would I get a warranty for $3,000. I guess I'll take my chances.

Man! I hate that your motor went. I really, really hate it! If I may ask, who gave you the quote? pm if you want.

Pat
Old 05-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for your loss
Old 05-05-2008, 05:31 PM
othomasjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a better quote and wanted to see what you guys think. It's a P dealer and they dropped it from $15,000 to $12,777.00. That's tax and everything out the door. I asked about what was included (starter, alternator, etc.) and they said everything would be transferred from the old motor. They may just have told me that and not know. I do know that it is a crate motor and should include what normally comes with it, including the warranty. Also, they said the last motor they replaced was BRAND new because Porsche didn't have an reman. ones in stock.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT $12,777.00??? THANKS!!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:39 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by pszikla
Come on people!
We are all getting caught up in this hysteria lately and admit it or not I am sure that as we keep harping and maintaining this emphasis on "blowing" engines each one of us has some trepidation now every time we put the key in the ignition.
Most every local owner that I know and the indy shop that I use that is absolutely full of Porsche cars getting maintenance and mods year round agree with me that this issue is really being exagerated way out of proportion.
Like someone mentioned the other day, the guys on 6speed board seem to have a healthier focus, why can't we?
How about we just enjoy driving the cars for a change???
Pete
+ infinity.

Takes the fun out of it. Destroys resale value further. Nothing good comes of it, especially when hardly any of these threads actually adds new information to the story. Just the same old wailing and gnashing of teeth. I really want to hear if someone's motor goes. And I want to hear if someone knows something I don't know about why and how. But the rehashing and the faux consumerism you sometimes see is just bad.

Honestly, I agree with the comment about how cheap a replacement motor is, and I agree that 3 large for a warranty is silly when you only really fear one thing and that one thing is only going to cost you 12. I think a lot of people have these cars who really shouldn't, either because they're in over their heads financially, or they don't have the philosophical orientation to drive a car that's more involving than a toaster. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, here, and I'm not referring to this OP or anyone else in particular, but that's how I really feel.

If my engine goes, I will be irritated at the unplanned expenditure. But I'll get over the financial blow in a few weeks, and I will remind myself that I bought a Porsche... good, bad, ugly, glorious, it is what it is. And it always has been, since the 356.

I respect that this is a public forum, so you guys have at it as you wish. But I think I might take a little Rennlist holiday. Driving a Porsche is one of the best parts of my day; unfortunately, the last little while, checking Rennlist hasn't been.

Rant over. Apologies to anyone offended.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:44 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Engine

Same happened to me four months ago. Oil was getting into the coolant big time. 57K miles. I tried a couple of less expensive fixes but without success. I purchased a 3.4L engine for my 2001 996 C2 and paid $8,500 for the engine from Checkered Flag Va Beach dealer. It was actually brand new. My local indy mechanic knows his stuff and is up to date on 996 and 997 including transmission. At any rate, a good mechanic can complete the install for $1500. I live in Virginia Beach and mostly track my car. The new engine is significantly upgraded and comes with a two year unlimited mileage warranty. And while apart I put in a lightweight clutch and flywheel and changed the transmission fluid replaced first gear as well.

I would bite the bullit and fix your car. trading into a dealer is going to cost more than putting a new engine in the car.

bella@wbrinsurance.com
Old 05-05-2008, 05:48 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
healthier? healthier has in they're ignorant to all these types of things. i enjoy 6speed as much as you do but to compare the content, people.... healthier? no way.
It's called denial - some people would rather not hear about other people's issues.

Of course, if it ever happens to them, they'll probably be all over the forum with their own 'my engine's blown' posts, demanding answers and info to help them get a new motor.....

It goes with the early M96 territory I'm afraid - better to be informed than to live in rose tinted ignorance.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:49 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Engine

Originally Posted by othomasjr
I got a better quote and wanted to see what you guys think. It's a P dealer and they dropped it from $15,000 to $12,777.00. That's tax and everything out the door. I asked about what was included (starter, alternator, etc.) and they said everything would be transferred from the old motor. They may just have told me that and not know. I do know that it is a crate motor and should include what normally comes with it, including the warranty. Also, they said the last motor they replaced was BRAND new because Porsche didn't have an reman. ones in stock.

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT $12,777.00??? THANKS!!
Follow up to prior new engine post. My new engine had EVERYTHING including new headers. AC compressor, alternator, everything brand new. Even the block was new with a date stamp 2004. If dealer installed then labor is also warrantied for two years. If not dealer installed, engine has warranty but not labor.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:51 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by BruceP
+ infinity.

If my engine goes, I will be irritated at the unplanned expenditure. But I'll get over the financial blow in a few weeks, and I will remind myself that I bought a Porsche

I expect a bit more providence from you than this blinders-on statement. You know why, we all know why.

a $12K expenditure is a $12K expenditure that gets your car back to where it was already before the blow-up.

a $12K expenditure is a lot of food on the table. you know this. It's a nice family vacation. It's a lot of diff things to a lot of diff people so to write off a $10G+ expenditure on a toy item as a part of playing the game when there are other toys that don't have an IMS/cracked cylinder/etc threat... comes off as pretty elitist bud.

whether you're worth millions of dollars or making $100K a year keeping up with the joneses, let's keep it real.... spending $12K on a repair bill sucks on a car that's worth $35K.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:52 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by cdodkin
It's called denial - some people would rather not hear about other people's issues.

Of course, if it ever happens to them, they'll probably be all over the forum with their own 'my engine's blown' posts, demanding answers and info to help them get a new motor.....

It goes with the early M96 territory I'm afraid - better to be informed than to live in rose tinted ignorance.
Uh-huh.

Well, see, the thing is that some of us only need to be 'informed' once or twice. Not over and over and over and over and over and over and over and f-ing over again.

Quick Reply: It's official, my engine is BLOWN.