996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Baby News and Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009 | 01:26 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I cherish every moment with my kids - even when I'm crabby and tired I realize that they're only this age once and you'll only be the center of their world for a short time and should enjoy it while you can.
Yup - it took me a while to realize it and my wife "got it" before I did.

Sure, not every day is perfect, but I work towards the goal of enjoying as much time with them as I can.

I never got being a parent until I made the realization that for a very short time you are the center of their world - they have nothing else but you and their love is unconditional. Sadly, they eventually grow out of that phase and either you did things right and set the foundation for their life, or you missed an opportunity that you will never get again.

If there's only one thing that's important in life it's making the most of every day with your children because when all is said and done they will probably be your greatest legacy.
Man, those are great words Wayne!

I get caught up in cleaning too much and it takes away time from my 4-month old. I get crabby when the house isn't spotless and my Fiance doesn't care. I get tunnel vision when something is not correct and I have to fix it right then and there; it is my perfectionist side.

I know from my pictures from the past of me shade-tree wrenching, that you guys probably think I am "Sanford and sons" but those are not my houses/garages, those are my families places. Trust me, I have to have things straight!

Anyways, you made me snap a little with the words "center of their world".......because I looked to my Dad too and felt there was nothing he couldn't fix or build from scratch. I always thought he was genius.

My 4-month old is the reason my engine pieces for the '87 are in plastic boxes right now in the garage. No time, but that is ok!
Old 12-02-2009 | 01:27 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Thanks Cory. They're great words and they're really hard to live up to... I realize it every day.

Time I take surfing the web, doing email, reading forums can all take time away from the kids and I've grown to realize that I'll never get that time back.... the days when your child runs up to you asking to play, or seeking attention only last so long and I've grown to appreciate that I should take advantage of them.

There are some days when you're just too busy, need time alone, or are just not in the mood to play. That's fine, but I realize that when I take time for those things, then it's time not spent enjoying helping my children grow up or teaching them something cool. Kids have wonderful insight and I've found that they teach me as much as I teach them - and nothing is more rewarding than the smile, hug or kiss that comes from a child when you've done something to make them happy. It's the purest form of affection.

Achieving balance in life is always tough. In the end I came to the point where I asked myself why I had kids and how I would like to see them grow up - being an active parent is important to me, so I try to default to giving time to my kids and taking time from other things... as a result, somethings take long to get done, or don't get done at all. My house will never be as clean or tidy again and that drives me nuts. In the end I wouldn't trade a thing forthe benefits I get from having my children.

It's pretty funny because pre-parenthood you would never have heard me say any of those things.
Old 12-02-2009 | 04:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Phil G.
You've said it perfectly! I wish more parents realized that. I try to convey that exact message to them during visits with their kids. Believe me, it goes by all too quickly. Now when I'm tired and crabby, only the cat appreciates me.

Phil, but I am sure that the cat will eventually grow out of that!
Old 12-02-2009 | 05:41 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Phil G.
. Now when I'm tired and crabby, only the cat appreciates me.
How many miles on the cat?
Old 12-02-2009 | 05:44 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
How many miles on the cat?
I think last time I saw it there was a tire mark across it's tail... spent too long sunbathing in the driveway.
Old 12-02-2009 | 09:46 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mabuhay
No, it's not a mistake.

1) You are counting the chickens before they hatch (sorry... I know they're "kids"). Once you have your 2 kids in the next couple of years, THEN you can revisit your decision and opt for a different car. Otherwise, you have 2 + years to enjoy the car. I shuttle the kid in the Boxster S once in a while to daycare vs taking the X5, A4 or 911 (I was thinking of using the "Baby Bjorn" on the motorcycle, but wouldn't want some nosey busy body calling Child Protection Services on me ). I give the kid options depending which color card the kid picks up/points to first...

2) You already have a primary family mobile. But still, see #1 above where you are counting your chickens before they hatch. In 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 years, your situation may change which may change your family car needs into something else. I.e. - if you have a 4 door sedan family mobile now, what if for some reason you end up with 3 or 4 kids? Thus, you will need to switch into a minivan. BUT, you wouldn't buy a minivan NOW would you?

Either way, your wife will probably tell you what to do anyway, so why bother asking the question? ....just kidding....
Thanks for the advice, it's just what I needed
Old 12-02-2009 | 11:34 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Thanks Cory. They're great words and they're really hard to live up to... I realize it every day.

Time I take surfing the web, doing email, reading forums can all take time away from the kids and I've grown to realize that I'll never get that time back.... the days when your child runs up to you asking to play, or seeking attention only last so long and I've grown to appreciate that I should take advantage of them.

There are some days when you're just too busy, need time alone, or are just not in the mood to play. That's fine, but I realize that when I take time for those things, then it's time not spent enjoying helping my children grow up or teaching them something cool. Kids have wonderful insight and I've found that they teach me as much as I teach them - and nothing is more rewarding than the smile, hug or kiss that comes from a child when you've done something to make them happy. It's the purest form of affection.

Achieving balance in life is always tough. In the end I came to the point where I asked myself why I had kids and how I would like to see them grow up - being an active parent is important to me, so I try to default to giving time to my kids and taking time from other things... as a result, somethings take long to get done, or don't get done at all. My house will never be as clean or tidy again and that drives me nuts. In the end I wouldn't trade a thing forthe benefits I get from having my children.

It's pretty funny because pre-parenthood you would never have heard me say any of those things.
Spot on!

Quick Reply: Baby News and Question